Thursday, May 28, 2009

One from yesterday

House Prices: What next?

RICS predict falls of 30% but Rightmove say prices have risen four months in a row.

Posted by will @ 11:27 AM (1963 views)

10 thoughts on “One from yesterday

• I’ve detected the deliberate avoidance of “the big question” on this site.

Has Merryn put in a bid?

• Apparently she has ‘dealt’ – crashing on about “having young children and therefore needing a long term home” etc, etc

• She was the first, at least that I read, that warned of the HPC – and I’ve looked for her comments ever since. I’ve been a creditable desciple, selling in October 07.

I won’t follow her back into the market just yet and trust that she will not now become a ramper.

Truth is, as we prepare to move into our third rental property, I am envious and wish her well – and of course it musn’t always be about money.

• @ Nomad, you’re right – we sold in June 2007, been in rented for two years since. IT’s OK but has its compromises, particularly with a young family. Far rather get something bought, but only if it’s “worth it’s money”, and not so expensive so that my missus has to work every hour and not get to be involved in the kids growing up… One of us working all the hours is enough.
    What is it Mark Wadsworth always says about ‘patience’? Not quite ‘the meek shall inherit the earth’, but you get the gist!

• [email protected] – It just goes to show how srong the nesting instinct is following giving birth.

Merryn knows it is a bad investment, but she is still doing/contemplating it.

I am suspicious that it may also have something to do with her current and projected earnings.

Good for her,I say.

• agreed – she must be busy nowadays as she has been proven right. Maybe she can buy outright and therefore not give a monkeys where prices go. It would only be hypocritical if she was getting in to BTL – and top be ho0nest I trust her with more integrity than that.

• Is the elephant in the room that the rightmove figures are “asking prices”?

• Rightmove, or at least it’s members are still in denial, as many homes have not dropped their asking prices in the last 18 months. They are not selling either, so who is kidding who?

• 1. nomad, Merryn does know the score, but I get the feeling that 1, She can afford to buy. 2, She can afford the peace of mind that can

be obtained from residing in a home of her own. 3, She also realises that a home is not strictly an investment.

It’s all about affordability at the end of the day. I know she was looking and I also know she will not be paying top dollar and locking in a

good deal. Good luck to her!