Friday, March 13, 2009

Go Obama…..

Switzerland caves in to pressure and signs up to tax-evasion fight

With its fearful attitude to do everything possible not to be blacklisted, the government has once again allowed itself to be blackmailed ... With today's decision the government is sacrificing a centuries-old principle of protecting citizens," it claimed

Posted by braindeed @ 08:22 PM (1628 views)

29 thoughts on “Go Obama…..

• happy mondays says:

Sorry braindeed, of topic, but watching a bit of comic relief and seeing the charitable public donate, which is great, but can someone explain to me if the government can QE £75billion into saving the economy, why the f**k have the government not QE into charitable organisations? And if they have it surely is a small gesture they make as there is a massive problem out there, which now will only get worse because of there incompetence!
    Rant over, back to my wine….

• Or why Mr Ross doesn’t donate the odd million or two.

• @dude but why should he? he’s giving his time for free which is more than most. if you want high wage earners to cough up then lets get the bankers in the frame.

• No offence taken HM…..same thought occured to me – donnated, but it’s just a spit isn’t it?

• @Alan Lubin

But isn’t today all about money? I’ll do whatever to give up my time, just as long as no one asks _me_ for money. Yep, then I can look charitable. What about all the studio crew, are they also doing it for free?

No, I restate my point — why doesn’t he give money (he can also give up his time, but one does not mean he doesn’t have to do the other).

• Not sure if my reply got posted, so I’ll try again.

@3

Fine that he does it for nothing, but the point is, he should give some of his own money, not (just) his time, to this.

What about the studio crew? Do they do it for free, or should you expect them to stick their hands in their pockets for this?

Which is my point. It’s all about money — so has he contributed? I believe he should, if he is so concerned.

• They all do a lot for charity mate…. they just dont like to talk about it. If you are worth a few bars then you will almost certainly have some IFA who would advise you to stick some money into charities. Anyway because of mr Ross’ involvement i refuse to watch the thing. Its nothing to do with th sachs incident either. Its just i find him very unfunny and i dont see any point in him interviewing anyone. “you are so good looking in the flesh… your my mate lets have a laugh…..no i wont ask you any question thats at all controversial…..yes you might as well be anyone down the pub”. Having said that the Film 09 programme is good imo – [maybe he has a tight script written for him].

Paying multi-millions for public servants is a consequence of the boom – adjusting to it………..and dont get me started on sky.

Going back to point 1 – the answer is pretty obvious i would have thought. You dont stimulate the economy by charitable giving particularly if its for overseas projects and if you do give then how does that allow banks to create more money? There may be a multiplier at work for charitable giving (i.e. a uk builder builds a playground or something, which then creates income for the worker who spends it etc.) but far too much leakage.

• To go back on topic this raises an important issue actually and it boils down to this.

Is the use of money better handled by the central governments or by asute individuals? how mch tax renue is waste on administering the cacaion/collection / dstribution etc of taxes?

I am just raising the topic before i am tarred with the rich b*strd brush.

Also off topic – why shouldnt people who pay for their kids education get tax relief on the costs? After all they are paying taxes to educate their kids – probably at a very high cost and yet what they are paying for (state education) they are not using.

• Is there not a wider issue on banking secrecy in that it is not just about tax evasion but people hiding “dirty” money often from African states where people are in despearte need of aid?

On the issue of taxes an who shoudl determine how money is spent not sure who is worse-politicans, multi-national companies or rich individuals-or are they all in the same club.

• [email protected]
    I am just raising the topic before i am tarred with the rich b*strd brush.

You’re right – you are a rich b*strd.

As for government?…..this is the logical end to the “trickle-down” Reagan-Thatcher b*llcks…..half baked then, and now.

• braindeed :-).

that may be true – but it doesnt answer my question. In fact i dont have any kids -some sort of problem with…. well am sure you dont want to know about that! In any case it was just a question.

I will expand. If someone is rich (and lets assume that its deserved) then they contribute to society via large taxes. Even though for example they dont get a proprtionate benefit. Their dustman doesnt come five times as often as the geezer in the council house, although their tax bill may be 50 times more.

ok thats the system – but if they pay for private education i wonder what is wrong and so deeply offensive to you about my question? They have paid their taxes for the kids education and (for whatever reason) they are not happy with the state version so IN ADDITION they pay fees for private education that frees up a place for another kid at the state school doesnt it (which my rich friend has more than contributed to).

As for the trickle down – you misunderstand – its not a question of trickle down its that banks create the money. Trickle down is to do with fiscal relaxation whereby the rich have more to spend which “trickles down” to the rest of the economy.

If you want to have a go get the old facts right !!

• Braindeed i might have to apologise for my second comment. I thought you were refering to why dont we give charities money via QE rather than the banks, and that you thought it was because of a “half baked” trickle down theory.

Having read back it looks like you were refering to “Is the use of money better handled by the central governments or by asute individuals? how mch tax re[ve]nue is waste on administering the ca[l]c[ul]a[t]ion/collection / dstribution etc of taxes?”

Again it was a question though and it actually isnt what i think. Really you need to understand a question is generally followed by a question mark whereas a statement isnt. Do you agree?

• Yes do split hairs…..shout louder, always a way to win arguments.

Trickle down was, (imo) in distillation, the view that no government was good government – in other words ‘astute’ business people were always more likely to provide ‘good’ solutions to society’s ills via the ‘market’ than any idle lazy bloated beaurocracy.
    Tosh!!!
    Neo Con propoganda.
    Just a way to pay less tax…ergo inflated asset prices as the ‘saved’ taxes chased an essentially finite resourse book.
    We’ll never agree, so lets call an end – I don’t want endless arguments with a person I would undoubtable cross the road to avoid.
    You have your views.
    Mine are different -end of.

• Shame I thought the purpose of a blog is to discuss different points of view. Re trickle down – it was what it was – thats factual and as i have described it – i.e. fiscal relaxation for the rich! Did it / does it work? Yes i would agree – probably not. Distillation? Your rant belongs in a distillery.

I didn’t think it was an argument.. still if you are unable to answer a question, or put a viable counter-argument to what you perceive to be a statement then you are right there is nowhere to go. I havent said whether my position was that I endorsed tax relief on school fees or not. I was looking for reasoned points of view on which to base an opinion (i have had the question asked of me many times and i truly cant come up for a reasoned argument against it).

I think – correct me if im wrong – thats a discussion. You can call “an end” if you like. BTW who is shouting?? Weird that someone can get so provoked by innocuous remarks.

• Why
    Are you
    Nevertheless such a
    Know all about
    Everything
    Richboy?

• back to the playground on Monday innit!

• Some interesting stuff from the oxford English Dictionary:

But, I don’t suppose Tetchieman will read it….

opinion

• noun 1 a view or judgement not necessarily based on fact or knowledge. 2 the beliefs or views of people in general: public opinion. 3 an estimation of quality or worth. 4 a formal statement of advice by an expert or professional.

— PHRASES a matter of opinion something not capable of being proven either way.

— ORIGIN Latin, from opinari ‘think, believe’.

fact

• noun 1 a thing that is indisputably the case. 2 (facts) information used as evidence or as part of a report.

— PHRASES before (or after) the fact Law before (or after) the committing of a crime. a fact of life something that must be accepted, even if unpalatable. the facts of life information about sexual matters. in (point of) fact in reality.

— ORIGIN originally meaning “an act”, later “a crime”: from Latin factum, from facere ‘do’.

distil

(US distill)

• verb (distilled, distilling) 1 purify (a liquid) by heating it so that it vaporizes, then cooling and condensing the vapour and collecting the resulting liquid. 2 make (spirits) in this way.

3 extract the essential meaning of.

— DERIVATIVES distillate noun distillation noun.

— ORIGIN Latin distillare, from stilla ‘a drop’.

• Enough homework then, Tetchieman?

• You are right its a bit boring now. You are the one that wont answer a question, fine. You have decided to resort to infantile (look that up if you want) name calling. Finally your argument against my position (in life not on these issues) is predicated (look that up to if you like) on your opinion of my wealth, and that i couldnt actually earn such wealth. You cant even spell your name right.

Can i deal with some adults now? [that’s rhetorical]. Cheers!

• Too much
    Opinion
    Seemingly
    Suggesting
    Engaging
    Repertoire ……methinks – then again, I know the difference between fact and opinion.

• Somebody get out of bed on the wrong side this morning then?

Braindeed, you sound like the nice chap that coined my 911s a few years ago, or the one that spat on the seat in Clarkson’s Ferrari.

Rich is only relative, and no matter who you are there’s always somebody who appears to have more than you.

• pdoff – im really not interested in someone that cant engage .I am looking for a sensible view on the tax relief on school fees question whether for or against and with what justification.

What do you or anyone out there think – i dont mind rich or poor; black or white, etc etc.

• Looks like someone made a classic mistake, an avoidable mention of wealth in these challenging times. Period!

• Now who’s playing with who here.
    I socialise with people who could buy and sell you lot (probably) – it’s irrelevant.
    P.Doff – lame.
    Tetchieman just likes the sound of his own voice – probably employs people, which tends to inflate a persons ego and convibce one of their own infalibilioty.
    here’s a quote I put in onpost
    #
    As I said in post 12

We’ll never agree, so lets call an end – I don’t want endless arguments with a person I would undoubtedly cross the road to avoid.
    You have your views.
    Mine are different -end of.

This site is not tetchieman’s or his patsies – go outside and play.

• crunchy – post 22 – where did that come from?

• Techie. ”tax relief on school fees”
    In present company it’s probably best not to express an opinion on paying twice for school fees (or healthcare for that matter).
    Mind you, I thought the Poll Tax was fair, but I was a wee bit outvoted on that one by those who prefer to be subsidised.

• 24. braindeed said…crunchy – post 22 – where did that come from?

The person it is directed at will know and hopefully learn by it.

• You guys are sad

• fact :opinion is not fact. Now go play out side.