Thursday, March 12, 2009

Are shares now yesterday’s story?

Are shares now yesterday's story?

Those with stock market investments over the last 18 months have lost a packet. And the danger now is that small investors could abandon equities altogether. While individual stocks may be cheap, we still wouldn't buy that index tracker just yet.

Posted by damien @ 03:57 PM (1340 views)

11 thoughts on “Are shares now yesterday’s story?

• Damien – are you sponsored by Money Week?

• Holding onto stocks and houses for the long term. lol. Don’t these people know how to play the market. Has nobody shown them how to SELL or SHORT.

You have not made your money untill you close your position. Jeeeeeeeeeeeez!

• paranoia blue says:

Crunch. Couldn’t agree more. ATB

• I think this is true in the respect that if you put your investment in the hands of ‘experts’, you kind of expect them to do a bit of hussling and trading to make you more money.
    As far as I can tell they either buy some shares and then sit and watch the price fall or do some hustling and trading, make some money for themselves, then tell you they bought some shares and sat and watched the price fall.

I thought stop losses etc. were a fundamental part of ‘active’ investing and yet we’ve all seen various funds go down and down and down.

As far as I’m concerned the City shot themselves in the foot along time ago as far as managing other peoples money goes.

I doubt general public will ever trust them again.

Trouble is there’s only one 2 places people go for savings and investments outside of stocks and shares and that is high interest savings accounts and property.

• 4. str 2007

I had good stock guys and MoneyWeek for that matter telling me the game was up, get out! months before it happened.

There are no excuses for the greedy or emotional trader that could not be wrong. Yes, alot of so called pro traders are crap.

I have heard that Wall St swap there stung clients books between them for a second bite of the cherry, but I don’t believe it. : (

• my natwest ISA has lost me 30% in 16 months. luckily i invested my proper savings in currencies which are up in excess of 30% in the same time. my fulltime job is nothing to do with investment, however it does involve not being a complete muppet. sadly the same cannot be said for whoever is fund managing Nat West’s Internation ISA fund.

• Crunchy

If I did it for a job I would have been pretty pi55ed off if I hadn’t made myself and my clients a small fortune with the market falling 40% in a year.
    And yes I had someone (who studied charts) telling me a year and a half ago to be out of all equities and sterling. Why didn’t the professionals seem to know ?

• 6. str 2007

That is a question that has troubled me. How could it have been so obvious to some and yet the chance so remote to others?

Why did the penny take so long to drop? Over to another blogger cause I don’t know.

• This article is one of the worst I’ve seen from money week. You guys are bears on housing and I think you’re right to be but on stocks no. You’ve been lucky overthe past 12 years but stocks will win through..

• I for the one believe that now is not the time to sell any shares – in most cases it’s time to buy. Whilst the UK property market has much further to fall I think most shares are becoming undervalued. Yes, I have lost money with some shares but it’s only a loss on the paper as long as I don’t sell. Then again, I have made money with others like Mitchells and Butlers, Domino’s Pizza and even Deutsche Bank.

When it comes to my shares, I never sell at a loss, I’d rather lose everything. It’s a gamble I’m willing to take!

• comments 9 & 10. I nearly choked on me coffee!! Lucky over the past 12 years? Have you had a liquid lunch that makes no no sense!