Friday, February 6, 2009

Is there any end to this madness !

Council house tenants offered £30,000 bribes to move out

Councils are now paying tenants to 'downsize' or move out of their properties to make way for idiots who either got themselves into trouble or in some other way now depend on local authorities to house them. "Council chiefs are holding urgent talks with ministers about expanding cash incentive schemes." - "Tens of thousands of people have taken up the offers but councils plan to push schemes more aggressively in another unexpected consequence of the recession." - What the dick-ens are we going to have next. How about this crazy idea ! Maybe we could get some of the 'vacant' properties or second homes that are continually empty and repo-them. When is the madness going to end ?

Posted by shining wit @ 11:27 PM (1357 views)

8 thoughts on “Is there any end to this madness !

• The issue is people living in big houses who don’t need to live in a big house. The most likely reason is that their family has grown up and moved away.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to move them into smaller flats. There is a huge surplus of city centre flats, and not so much of a surplus of larger family houses.

• Tc…..

But countdown doesn’t start till 16.30 hours ?

Jonb – possibly – but the big issue for me is that it’s people, not property or houses, or some supposed shortage that’s the issue. I think it is making people secondary and pampering to all the ridiculous assumptions that a modern (and caring) society wants to move people out from their homes to make room for others. Everyone in this country wants to be rich or famous or both.

The idea of community is DEAD…….. I’m seriously thinking of leaving the ship, shipmates !

This place has social scurvy and I’m not sure what can cure it ! The vitamin C that is needed would be too bitter a pill for all the saddo’s and pimps and creeps that roam the land. George Orwell is spinning in his resting place.

• They’ve given up on capaitlism and reverted to their innate socialism – we’ll have five year tractor plans next.

• Lord Darcy Pew says:

How many council houses are occupied by non British nationals? We could afford to house them in the good years, but not now.

• Well said shining [email protected]

My parents raised 5 children in a 3-bedroom council house, had very low income jobs and managed to do a very good job of running a family in the traditional way. I have just spent the last three years maintaining the same council house to a decent state of repair because the council refused to redecorate/replaster the crumbling place. I live 45 miles away and travelled to their home to help out in this way. The council have now pestered my parents (77 and 79 years old respectively) to move out and give the place up for a family! After I had spent hours and hours doing the council’s maintenance they now have the audacity to wave the moral ticket at my poor old parents, my mother is seriously stressed over this.

I have assured my mother that to give up her house would be purely voluntary, but she worries that this rule could change and it could become compulsory. She has lived there over 45 years, she is part of the community, what are the benefits of breaking up, what little there is left of community life? My parents have worked hard their entire life and do not deserve to be treated like numbers on a spread sheet….. shame on this nation, I think I will be leaving these shores in the not too distant future!

• Lord Darcy – please try not to be such an ars

• @jonb ‘ I think it is perfectly reasonable to move them into smaller flats.’
    let me paraphrase your remark.

Council tenants – scum!!! . They’re lucky to have a roof over their heads, unlike owner/occupiers, who ‘deserve’ and have ‘earned’ their right to security and choice.

• Loneranger @ 6…..

I agree. This whole country is has become, as much as anywhere in Europe, a bastion of greed and self-righteous commerciality. Being a council landlord has just become another ‘strain’ on the economy. Being a private landlord is simply a commercial transaction. The labour party (with right-wing catholic-denying Blair in charge) are just the same sick private school loving pocket liners like the tories.

Re-assure you perants that they will never be moved unless they want to. This place IS going to the dogs.

Inbreda – Just dismissing Lord Darcy is simplistic – He has a point – WE (and other parts of Europe and modern industrialised contries) are becoming increasingly filled with economic migrants and politicians love it because they fill all the holes in their out-dated policies.

There will be trouble.