Monday, February 9, 2009

Global food problems looming

Catastrophic Fall in 2009 Global Food Production

"After reading about the droughts in two major agricultural countries, China and Argentina, I decided to research the extent other food producing nations were also experiencing droughts. This project ended up taking a lot longer than I thought. 2009 looks to be a humanitarian disaster around much of the world." The fires in Australia are due to a severe drought. I have checked the claims in this article, there really is widespread drought in the world's bread baskets.

Posted by mountain goat @ 10:07 PM (1068 views)

8 thoughts on “Global food problems looming

• “When faced with competitive currency appreciation, you do NOT want to be the world’s reserve currency. The dollar is likely to do very poorly as central banks liquidate trillions in US holdings to buy food and appreciate their currencies.”

As if the US didn’t already have enough on its plate (no pun intended)

• mountain goat says:

TC – I can recommend planting some first or second early potatoes this spring. They produce potatoes early so rarely suffer from blight. They also shoot up quick from their store of food in the seed potato so you don’t have to worry about weeds as much as when you plant something from a small seed. I have an allotment but often grow them in bins anyway, I think they like the good drainage in pots.

Sorry about your father hope he stays safe. My sister moved away from Melbourne to Perth a few years ago fortunately.

• Sick Of Greed says:

People nearby are way ahead in this respect (i.e., Global Food Problem). The link shows just how resourceful people can be in uncertain times http://www.incredible-edible-todmorden.co.uk/ Needs to be rolled out nationwide imo!

• mark wadsworth says:

The UK is perfectly capable of feeding itself, provided we cut down on meat and eat boring stuff like potatoes and cabbage and apples. Reclaiming the North Sea from the EU might help vary our diet a bit. That is one of the many things that does not worry me.

• We usually grow a few veg each year, but we will be doing much more this year – tastes so good anyway, plus it’s not sprayed with anything nasty. Thinking of keeping a few chickens too, which will mean I’ll be back to shooting rats again !

• TC I hope your father will be OK. What a horrendous situation to be in.

(p.s. I always enjoy reading your comments and postings).

• @ greytornado “I’ll be back to shooting rats again”. If the doomsters are to be believe those rats could make a nice protein supplement to our diet.
    Try Shrek’s recipe for Rats Stew.

• Economicvoicedotcom says:

Or grey squirrels magnifico.