Friday, January 16, 2009

Which banks will survive the slump?

Which banks will survive the slump?

This has been a terrible week for the world's banks – even by recent poor standards. Record losses, fears over new capital needs, warnings about dividend slashing, nationalisations, job cuts… just about everything that could go wrong, has gone wrong. Apart from another bank going bust, of course, but don't bet on that not happening either.

Posted by damien @ 11:21 AM (1251 views)

8 thoughts on “Which banks will survive the slump?

• A crystal ball would be a handy tool, but failing that, I have taken the precaution of having 2 current accounts with 2 different banks. Unless anyone has any better ideas, I reckon that Barclays will probably be OK and the Coop Bank has always looked a safe bet. Perhaps someone else has other ideas.

• The Bank of England?

• The Mattress Bank

• materialistic weasle says:

Highly recommend the Co-op Bank, it hardly dabbled in the toxic surprise packages and its backed up to the nuts by the CIS and they are massive. Interest rates have never been world beating but I feel a lot safer with them than risking a roll of the dice for an extra 1%.

• my 5yr old sons piggy bank,but the few quid thats in there will be worthless once Brown and Darlings Quantative easing policy gets out of hand. 🙁

• What about Coutts & Co bank?
    Not that I am that weathly, but I have put my money there after the sale of my London flat 2 years ago.
    Thank you for your reply.

Betty

• Tony Blair’s bank bosses?

• Letsgetreadytotumble says:

Compared to the Yorkshire BS, the Coop looks poor. Doesn’t the Coop pay sponsorship to Labour MPs? In which case I wouldn’t go any where near them.