Thursday, January 8, 2009

The prodigal son

Jonathan Davis speaks to aboutproperty

Jonathan Davis, of Armstrong Davis Chartered Financial Planners, has arguably been the most accurate forecaster of the economy and markets in the last few years. As [former] spokesman for www.housepricecrash.co.uk, Jonathan has precisely and consistently predicted the markets, a talent which more recently saw him appear on Tonight with Trevor MacDonald. As interest rates were cut by 1.5 per cent today, their lowest rate since the establishment of the Bank of England in 1694, aboutproperty.co.uk interviewed Jonathan for his views on the announcement and for what his predictions might be for 2009.

Posted by little professor @ 05:19 PM (1834 views)

14 thoughts on “The prodigal son

• Love the handy HPC link. People need to visit a hard cold facts site like this more often.

Agree with every single word. Which is not easy for me to say. lol

Manufacturing indeed. Did anyone see the giant hi tech tomato green house on TV today. That’s our future. We have to become more self sufficient and able to export more.

• Didn’t JD sell-to-rent in 2002 ? Not what I’d call ‘precisely and consistently’ predicting the market.

• Bull !!!!!!

• I may be wrong but I believe Jonathon chose to get out as he was able to rent a very large and very beautiful property for less money than a mortgage would allow. I for one give up a great deal of respect to the man for his predictions. Just my opinion though.

• vindicated

That may be true but he is also on record urging others to sell and rent in 2003 – way before the peak of the market.

He is no worse than others but it does annoy me when he claims to have been predicting a crash for ‘two or three years’.

• Former spokesman? Did I miss something? I’ve been away for a month, is this a recent development?

• Former spokesman? Is this a recent thing? I’ve been away for a month?

• Thanks LP. Missed this particular stushie altogether.

Very sad day.

• Admittedly JD could have got his timing wrong but did ANYONE foresee that bankers and politicans were actually crazy and greedy enough to actually cause a potential global financial meltdown???

• phdinbubbles says:

agree with wiltshire

• “Obviously had anyone been smart enough to predict that scenario they would probably have added another 3 or 4 years to their predictions of the bubble bursting.”

There were people who predicted it, but they also predicted it would happen in the 90s, 80s, 70s etc.

Even a stopped clock n’all that.

• It_is_going_with_a_bang says:

I thought in 2003/2004 it was way out of hand and would only end in tears, my understanding of global finance was limited, but I assumed that fraud on the scale that it has been practised would never be allowed – surely thats what governments ‘were’ for.

I sold on July 2006 – which was just down to luck and nothing else.
    At least he went on record to say what he thought which is more than can be said of most people in the media – or anywhere else come to think of it.

• “Jonathan has precisely and consistently predicted the markets”

By selling to rent seven years before the crash, and telling others to do the same? Just because you say “a crash is coming” every year for seven years it doesn’t make you a genius when it does finally happen. Today I am going to say “house prices are going to rise again!”. I’ll say it every year, and when prices finally start to recover some time in the next decade I can say “Told you so! Why did no-one listen to me?!”.