Wednesday, January 14, 2009

People sucking up tax resource

"Working - what's the point?"

A story of two wasters who live off benefit and see no point in getting work. They managed to leave school with no qualifications at all (bearing in mind GCSEs aren't exactly tricky). If only there was a career in being useless and sucking up state resources these two would be brilliant at it. I guess that's the benefits industry, and they're captains of it.

Posted by ezekiel @ 12:39 PM (1815 views)

13 thoughts on “People sucking up tax resource

• I run a small business.

I’m getting more call from the newly and indeed long term unemployed wanting to volunteer (yes work for free) with my company (2 this week).

Not all unemployed people have the ‘what’s the point in working’ attitude

• Labour

• Boom_and_bust says:

I heard from on of my “unemployed” mate that it is important to “work” from time to time, just to be eligible to claimed job seeker allowance and also unemployed benefits . The government agencies force them to work, so they play their tune to show that they tried but failed.

• Just another article by the BBC designed to provoke a reaction. Probably has something to do with 5 ‘rentagob’ Live.

• How do they get by on £100 a fortnight. They deserve an honorary qualification in financial planning.

• From the article it seems clear they are not wasters but making an effort to find work. One in six people have no qualifications, so they do not stand out in that respect. But working for very low wages, assuming you can find a job at all, must be pretty demoralising.

Anyone watch the TV programme Skint? The man featured last night, Vernon, is probably a good example of the trap many unemployed people are in. Previous programmes show he had many problems in the past but labours away to find work. His main difficulty seems to be his inability to make good decisions and plan ahead. I imagine a lot of support would be needed to get him out of his predicament, but it is not available. Meanwhile he struggles on.

Some people are useless, but many more are probably just stuck.

• Ezekeil, go easy on them a bit. I grew up in a “small northern ex mining town” and its a truely rough life for many people. No money, no prospects, poor schools, no clear rolemodels, high drug use, etc, etc.. There is also a very marked brain drain, I mean would you want to live there? I know I didnt, and got out as soon as I could. But for many they drop off the radar at school and never really realise thier potential. They get stuck in a hole, with very big sides. Climbing out is often beyond them. and that is not good for our society.

• Notbuyingoneyet says:

So why not go where the jobs are?
    In the early 90’s I took a job in Europe as there was little work in my local area in the UK.
    On your bike!

• The article also appears to indicate how the education system is failing young people. Whilst some may castigate the persons in question for managing to leave school without qualifications, surely we should be asking how they managed that.
    Not everyone is academically talented and the country needs people with vocational skills as well as those who can do desk jobs. Its all very well trying to get as many students through university, but at the moment there appears to be few options for those who can’t attain such a level.
    People wonder why manufacturing in the UK is on its knees, but we don’t train people to do those jobs anymore, unlike many other European countries. Perhaps the chap in the interview had a talent in something more practical, but the education system only values paper results that can be easily formulated into league tables.
    Then theres the issue that many jobs available to people in these situations are part time only, so they actually have to take a cut in income to work, and you’re on £100 a fortnight would you want to earn less? I thought not.
    Most people want to work, but sometimes its not as easy as it sounds.

• Good on them why should they worry, the advice I would give them is dont do a five year apprenticeship as you will never be offered a living wage at the end of it, and dont go to night school for further three years to get a ONC as people only look for degrees.
    And most important of all dont spend thirty years of you life working just to stand still like I have.

• There will be plenty of people (I have an image of BTL entrepreneurs) that look down their nose at such (alleged) benefit scroungers, who will soon be expecting the government to cover their mortgages, their BTL mortgages, subsidise their tenants and cover their repayments on the BMW X5. Like hubbers says, they deserve an honorary qualification – they clearly have much more financial nouse than the fat idiot Brown. I say, give em a £100,000 for meeting 12 times a year at the BoE. And 12 free holidays to America. Can’t do any worse than the current shower of chit.

• waiting patiently says:

All positive stuff about these two. Not sure that I agree. If they have no qualifications they should make use of the time that they have on their hands to get the basics. If, as lethemfall indicated, 1 in 6 people have no qualifications (which I find astounding in the current education system) they would certainly stand out to a potential employer as someone is is making the effort to better themselves. To me they come across as individuals who think that they are owed a living.

• I only half agree waiting patiently. I empathise with these two. the BBC article, if you ask me, is a diversion. Practically insighting racism with “these foreigners come and take our jobs” quotes. This pair are never going to be rocket scientists. Some people were put on this planet to stack shelves, and hats off to them if they are willing to work for what is most likely a shockingly pointless wage. People like this (unfortunately) need leading. It is for people like this that gordon brown is supposed to steer a prudent economic course, for stability and jobs and (other political flatulence). It is precisely because people like this are not capable of just “getting up and going out and getting on with it”. They are not entrepreneurs. They will not think laterally and train in something that they will likely not qualify for. And thank god, otherwise nobody would stack the shelves.