Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Oh really? But this recession isn’t like the last one

The 10 safest jobs in a recession

1. Teaching. 2. Working in the NHS. 3. Other public service jobs. 4. Public transport projects. 5. Home insulation and other 'green' initiatives. 6. Energy. 7. IT. 8. Human resources. 9. Interim managers. 10. Accountants / finance directors / compliance officers. ----- [I think this recession is of a completely different character to the last one, so a lot of predictions like this are liable to be wrong.]

Posted by drewster @ 06:11 PM (1988 views)

18 thoughts on “Oh really? But this recession isn’t like the last one

• My list of least safest job in this recession:

1. Gordon Clown – unelected Prime Minister

• “Typically, the more specialised the skill, the better,” he says, “with the proviso that it’s a skill in demand. The fear of all specialists is that the market moves and they find themselves unemployable.”

Hmmm. Dunno about that. I work in IT governance, risk and compliance which is meant to be in demand – but I’m not working right now.

• HR people with skills in making people redundant are among those who are needed more in the current climate

What? Being able to blurt “sorry, we’re going to have to let you go” is not a skill.

• hubbers said…My list of least safest job in this recession: Gordon Clown – unelected Prime Minister Wednesday, January 28, 2009 06:25PM

He might well lose the position of PM but it’s unlikely he’ll lose his seat as an MP – couple this with the fact that he has maximum service in the MP’s pension scheme and he’s largely unaffected (pride aside) by this recession.

• Jobcentres are usually good places to find work.

• c'mon correction says:

Teaching at No. 1 ? Well the Welsh Assembly has just annouced multi-million pound cuts to all F.E.’s across Wales! Most welsh colleges have already done one round of redunacies before this cut.

• I dont think IT is safe at all. Can’t see a valid reason it would be. Internet articles and web forums in general always seem to be IT biased because many people who frequent them work in IT.

Insolvency practitioner. Bailiff, BBC employee could all be added.

• Jack C

Very true, Gordon Brown has nothing to loose that he hasn’t already and really didn’t have much to loose in the first place.

BTW Jack, off topic on this thread but do you have any terms and conditions for BTL mortgages. It’s the maintaining minimum LTV or equity clause I’m interested in.

I assume this clause is in most BTL mortgages isn’t it?

Someone was telling me it wasn’t in the Mortgage Express Terms and Conditions which surprises me. I can’t check with them as they’re under Government ownership now and not taking on more business.

Wondered if you could help on that one.

• tyrellcorporation says:

C’mon Correction, if that’s true (I just haven’t seen anything in the media about it) then that’s a really significant move. TBH there has to be some sort of cull in the state sector.

• Insolvency is very buoyant at the moment.

• I work in a large teaching hospital, and about 2 years ago we ran up a huge deficit due to changes in the rules for how Trusts could run their books. We shed one in seven posts right across the Trust – all employment groups were affected. The wards got dirtier, the staff got more stressed, but guess what. The hospital still functioned. Newly qualified physios, nurses, midwives in our region were all forced to look for work out of the area. The lesson here is that funding can also be cut to the NHS, with corresponding job losses, but the work still gets done (only just!). So we’ll see who escapes, but I can imagine some serious cuts at the DoH in a couple of years.

I’ve got a suspicion that GPs might suddenly start to look rather expensive in the near future too. There is no shortage of private companies waiting in the wings to run GP services – at which point I would expect GP pay to fall from an average of 100k to about 65k a year as they are forced into salaried roles.

• Property Security is booming at the moment.. The ones boarding up houses and checking out empty houses for squatters..

• Sorry for the self pitying tone, but Being Self employed pretty much sucks.
    If we get sick, tough. We get very few of the benefits that a PAYE employee recieves.
    {Yet we pay as much tax and NI} Two companies went down on me at the end of the last year, because of the recession.
    [6 months work wasted. Lost thousands of pounds.] No pension either.
    I work as a consultant for engineering companies, and because of the present climate, 2009 looks very bleak indeed. [I.E nothing at all]
    Im living off my savings, which were intended as a down payment for my first house. Taken ten years to save what little I have.
    So, by 2010-2011 I’ll probably be back at square one. No house. No money.

Thankyou very much Tony Blair and Gordon Brown.

• it_is_going_with_a_bang says:

Useless article. As if its a choice now anyway. Talk about closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.
    1,2,3,4 publicly funded. That money will run out some time if too much is spent.
    5 is a maybe – of which I have heard nothing
    6 is probably in about 10 years when they decide on something
    7 and 8 utter nonsense – completely disagree – it’s just an assumption and very poor one at that
    9 part time work? contracting with no job security and thats a ‘safe job’ – oh please.
    10 accountants ? well that one I dont know too much about. So maybe I’ll give on that one. 🙂

• Going with a bang – I can tell you that I’m getting a lot more accountant cv’s coming through than normal…

• Article written by an office boy no doubt, what about plumbers? As busy as ever here.

• A lot of accountants work for banks or for large accountancy firms in M&A and corporate finance departments which were booming over the last few years but will not be cutting back.

I guess public sector is safest in a recession but as Going with a Bang says the money will run out. Schools may not close but what about all these “teachers” teaching useless media studies courses in our universities? Hasn’t London Met Uni now got to repay millions that it received in over-funding?

• The No1 safest job in the world (and always will be) is…..

a Funeral Director.

Regardless of economic climate.