Saturday, November 15, 2008

The US is an oil importer, burning up 25% of the world’s production

The Five Stages of Collapse

I don't mean to imply that every part of the country will suddenly undergo a spontaneous existence failure, reverting to an uninhabited wilderness. I agree with John-Michael Greer that the myth of the Apocalypse is not the least bit helpful in coming to terms with the situation. The Soviet experience is very helpful here, because it shows us not only that life goes on, but exactly how it goes on. But I am quite certain that no amount of cultural transformation will help us save various key aspects of this culture: car society, suburban living, big box stores, corporate-run government, global empire, or runaway finance.

Posted by malct @ 11:09 AM (2349 views)

13 thoughts on “The US is an oil importer, burning up 25% of the world’s production

• planning4acrash says:

Bigger worry than that, over half of America’s energy comes from coal, and Obama is on record saying he will bankrupt the coal business with carbon tax. Open warfare against the American people that we will suffer. You had better be fully sure that sun has nothing to do with climate change before you acquiesce to the turning out of the lights.

Here is a great 10min podcast on climate change that is convenient to share and provides, towards the end, a refreshing solution to the crisis:

This is a great movie on implications of using CFL lightbulbs:

If you enjoyed the first podcast, have a listen to this.

• planning4acrash says:

Here we go, Alex talks about Obama’s energy policy within these two clips.

• oh dear oh dear

from yesterday :-

19. malct said…
    with regard to censorship and p4ac – I remember being that age (with difficulty, apart from the juicy bits)

zero tolerance, change must be NOW etc

Jesus Christ apparently had a similar problem

he threw the money lenders out of the temple (at a similar age)

and just look what they did to Him

but I hope you see my point p4ac JC = same thing ref. money and debt (interest) (ursury)

Friday, November 14, 2008 06:27PM

• A BIG article malct. Great find.

Personally, I found the energy debate therein something of a red herring or, at best, a sub-plot to the main story.

• planning4acrash says:

“He’s not the messiah, he’s a very norty boy”
    – To clarify, I think Malct is saying that I follow the teachings of Jesus, this much is true. Or at least I try to. The problem is that people, even Mark Wadsworth, who I have much time for, doesn’t understand fractional reserve banking and actually thought that HSBC got a billion pounds for its own building from depositors money!!!!

• gardennetting

yes, I have to agree, that’s why I posted it expecting someone to hammer me for talking ‘black gold’ instead of the economy

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

p4ac
    no offence intended whatsoever

I was trying to point out you are simply trying to expose the moneylenders
    but that is a dangerous thing to do

• You 3 should really go set up a new web site. You have some incredibly interesting ideas that really should get the audience you deserve.

• Thanks belwether, er, I think.

• “And ever since then, I’ve been asked the same question, repeatedly: “When? When is the collapse going to occur?” Being a little bit clever, I always decline to give a specific answer, because, you see, as soon as you get one specific prediction wrong, there goes your entire reputation”

I seem to remember certain people here pushing S2R1 for specific predictions a while back!

Leaving that aside…

the article is an interesting read, malct. Good find.

• belwether – nice ploy, but you won’t get rid of ‘me’ that easy
    UK house price crash is a symptom of something very much bigger

this website is amazing

even though it is a great source for dataminers and pollsters

• Materialistic Weasle says:

This is only a casual observation, but as the HPC is now clearly underway it seems you guys are a little cast adrift. How about upping your game and re-naming this site Civilization Crash.

• planning4acrash says:

Off topic, but people here ask why I get angry, well, this is a healthy reaction to corruption that is corrupting our lives, now, here is an example of me taking action. It is important to get upset and take rational action, here, on the subject of the BBC and election night.

Dear Mr ?!?!?!?!

Thanks for your e-mail regarding ‘US Election Night’ on the BBC.

I appreciate you were left concerned by David Dimbleby’s presentation of coverage and I note you feel he continually pushed the debate into issues about race.

David Dimbleby has a wealth of experience in current affairs broadcasting and been the commentator for a wide range of special outside broadcast events for BBC Television.

He has presented many Budget Specials and a number of BBC Election programmes.

He was anchor man for the 1979, 1983, 1987, 1992, 1997 and 2000 General Election night coverage, and the US Presidential Election programmes in 1984, 1988, 1992, 1996, 2000 and now 2008.

He is also careful to abide by well-established interviewing guidelines that prescribe a scrupulously even-handed approach when chairing debates.

The intention with any of our election programmes is to give full opportunity for all viewpoints to be heard and to ask the questions which are mostly likely to be in the minds of viewers. Such an approach is more likely to provide the public with access to differing perspectives on events and help explain their proper context.

I recognise you feel David Dimbleby’s line of questioning was very misjudged and please be assured that your comments have been included in our audience log. This is circulated widely within the BBC and made available to many BBC staff, including members of the BBC Executive Board, channel controllers and other senior managers.

The audience logs are seen as important documents that can help shape decisions about future programming and content.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact us with the strength of your views.

Regards

Alec Mackenzie
    BBC Complaints
    __________________________________________

—–Original Message—–

>The presenter keeps encouraging interviewee’s to discuss the race issue. He is manipulating the conversation continually suggesting that it could be considered racist to not vote for Obama. I would not mind if the interviewee’s were bringing up the issue, but it is the presenter who appears to be trying to use the words race, black and color as many times as it is possible. This is despicable interviewing.

• 11. Materialistic Weasle said…

Saturday, November 15, 2008 12:54PM Report Comment

given the unprecidented actions by our elected representatives MW I think this is a perfectly reasonable subject for debate.

However, without a password to allow you to interact real time you will find it difficult to take part.

best wishes