Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Over twenty percent of those able to work don’t…

The number of economically inactive people of working age approaches 8 million

There has been a fall in both the number of people in employment and the employment rate, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS). The number of unemployed people, the unemployment rate and the claimant count have all increased. The number of inactive people of working age has increased, but the inactivity rate is unchanged. The number of vacancies has fallen. Growth in average earnings, both including and excluding bonuses, has decreased

Posted by converted lurker @ 01:01 PM (619 views)

11 thoughts on “Over twenty percent of those able to work don’t…

• If I had the money to give up work, I would – what does this mean? If you are ‘economically inactive’ but are paying taxes and not claiming benefit, whose business is it?
    Does this include parents looking after children? If that’s the case I would say that it’s a disgrace and a sad reflection of society that it’s so low. Is this nanny state nonsense? Perhaps i’m getting the wrong end of the stick here.
    Should we all be working just because we can? Get those retired bankers into Tesco then. I’ll be interested to hear the reaction to it.

• Don’t forget all those people in hospital I’m sure they could do something economically active like data entry.

• You have to ask yourself “what is the point of working ?”

You work your socks off, house prices rise faster than you can earn. Meanwhile, an Albanian or Romanian comes here and gets full benefits and a house all paid for ?

• Eternal Sceptic says:

However economically inactive also includes 80% of the bloated public sector.

• For those that live in rural and run down areas in this country, working is slavery by any other name.

• I spend so much time here I expect I’m ‘economically inactive’, even though I get paid.

• 4. Eternal Sceptic said…

“If the ridiculous benefits and taxation system means a person is financially more secure by signing on, who can blame he/she or she for sitting at home.
    However economically inactive also includes 80% of the bloated public sector.
    By my reckoning that makes a total of 21 million of working age economically inactive. No wonder the level of taxation is crippling.”

So if someone is financially more secure by signing on, you choose to blame the benefits system? No fault in low private sector wages then?
    Or perhaps you did think that, but chose the popular/media/corporate line instead? Why do you think that happened?
    I think you’ve some way to go before you can be called a sceptic.

• Wow, the first accurate unemployment figure I have ever seen.

• I’ve been ‘economically inactive’ for the past eight years
    due to the over economically active behaviour of psychopaths.
    (check out laura knight SOTT)

prior to that I had a long ‘productive’ life, at times employing others.

the ‘work’ I do here for free is rebellion against injustice, whatever that means.

renting2 – glad you get paid, I don’t. I’ve been going down for over eight years and I can’t see an endtuit let alone get a roundtuit.

Sorry – still thinking nooneo needs cheering up

oops – wrong thread again

hey we’ve all worn odd socks, but last week I went out for the day in odd shoes.

guess what? – nobody noticed – wtf

• shiipy – a few years ago I met a man in the pub who worked at a local factory (packaging) that had recently expanded.

I said to him “how many people work at Lin-pac now then?”

“about half of them” was his reply

I bought him another beer when I found out he was their shop steward !
    (union organiser)

• “The number of economically inactive people of working age approaches 8 million”

I’m confused – Surely this is just the figure for London ?

Possibly even just South London (do we still need a pssport for south of the river?)