Saturday, October 4, 2008

Max Keiser on the Truth about Markets

The Truth About Markets - 27 September 2008

Some of you appreciated a bit of humour recently, and, its a very good way to get others into real issues. Like, he gives the best explaition I've ever heard on short selling. Basically, short sellers provide liquidity to falling shares, so stop them falling too far. Here, Karmabank radio, from London's Resonance FM does just that. I subscribed on i-tunes. This guy, Max Keiser, has been on Chanel 4 News recently. He's been predicting this stuff for ever. His style is a bit hard to get used to initially, because he plays on his New York accent. For those who don't know, Resonance takes on a similar format to American Patriot Radio, but its based in London and is about London and the UK, so gives you a bit of what you won't get on the Beeb.

Posted by planning4acrash @ 07:02 PM (952 views)

15 thoughts on “Max Keiser on the Truth about Markets

• planning4acrash says:

I should add, about long sellers, they take liquidity out when shares go too high, so provide balance to the market. So, get rid of them, and you will see more fluctuations, which is great for hedge funds, awful for your pension. Getting rid of short and long selling, is total corporatism.

• p4ac – off topic, but have you seen ‘Zeitgeist-Addendum’ yet? I’m guessing its not quite what you expected, right?
    It’s fantastic stuff, right along the lines of how i’ve been thinking for a while and rightly and thankfully dumps the conspiracy nonsense of the first film.

• shippt – it’s already debunked dis-info

they don’t want you to know the truth.

• Malct – are you talking about this film or the first? Have you seen it? Where’s the debunking? What are the messages in the film that you disagree with? Where’s the open mind on this one?

• planning4acrash says:

Shipbuilder, yes it was off topic, I’d rather discuss Karmabank. Its a very good, informative radio show that will tell you things you won’t hear anywhere else about the economy, like, last months episode explained that FOOTSIE fell so bad after hearing about unemployment figures in US, because they were running at 5%, but, skewed, because you aren’t considered in the stats if unemployed for more than 9months, afterwhich you don’t get unemployment benefits! So, taking all the figures, its running at about 10% right now. 5% unemployed without any benefits! Wow. He explained that some states were sacking 20% of their teachers because schools must pay for school dinners for childen who’s parents cannot afford food, that so many were claiming now, that they had to sack 20% of staff.

• shippy

I don’t have an open mind anymore

I used to greet new info with “no way, surely not!”

but that was when I still hung on to the dream that it was all an accident.

I’ve tried to rationalise the process many times over, and failed.

I really do believe there is something normal hans just are not capable of comprehending going on here.

I’ve had enough

I’m mad as hell !

and I agree with you

• planning4acrash says:

I don’t believe that Malct. I think its a question of trust. People’s trust in the system is dripping away, but, once lost, its hard to get back. Bit by bit, babylon is falling, I hope!

• it was this

very funny too.fellows show on resonance that opened my eyes about 3 years ago, he predicted the hedge fund / sub-prime meltdown all that time back.

• p4ac, i’m still interested to know what you thought of it.

• Know how you feel malct and in a way I wonder if its the way forward. Made me think of some quotes I read recently from Bertrand Russel http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Bertrand_Russell/

I really cant understand the people I come across from time to timew who make it sound like they know whats what. Far too confident if you ask me.

Been listening to a lot of Alan Watts’ talks lately. Not the be all and end all but well ahead of his time IMO.

• shipbuilder – Havent watched the vid yet but intend to. based on your comments it crossed my mind that perhaps the producers recognise that the first vid might well turn many people off or detract from what is important. Perhaps they have moderated their message in order to engage a wider audience?

• planning4acrash – Sorry to detract further from the post. Good find. We need more of a UK focus. So much of the various info relates to the US. Also the radio thing has quite a following in the underground music scene. Also check this out

• Unplugged, I thought that as well. Having watched the first movie and disliked it, I was surprised to see how different the message in the second movie is – in fact pretty much along the same lines as Chomsky et al – the vision of a ruling ‘corporatocricy’, which I agree with.
    One quote actually explicitly says that this is not a conspiracy, these people do not have to plot, they just work under a common understanding that profit must be maximized, regardless of the costs. Which is what i’ve been on here saying for months.

• But it’s not about the movie agreeing with me or me being right, obviously. Thankfully, it’s a much more sane contribution to the debate of where we should be going than I had expected. About reaching a wider audience – well, like a few of these types of ideas i’ve heard, this pretty much describes the socialism I recognise without actually calling it such, so I expect it will not go down well with Ron Paul supporters, libertarians or conservatives.

• I’ll check it out. The trouble with conspiracy is that its a loaded term but has a flexible defintion. Political ideals are similar…. and conjour up images of Ken Livingstone and Blair! In reality we are not bound by any one political version. As I see it the American brand of patriotism is still very conservative. Many would find it hard to accept new ideas. The founding fathers are heroes and memories of the cold war run deep. Chomsky does speak a lot of sense from the little I have seen and read about him.