Sunday, October 12, 2008

is this a statement or a warning?

Read the text of Bush's speech

And we agreed that we ought to work with other nations such as those that will be represented this afternoon in the G20 forum. As our nations carry out this plan, we must ensure the actions of one country do not contradict or undermine the actions of another. In our interconnected world, no nation will gain by driving down the fortunes of another. We're in this together. We will come through it together. I'm confident that the world's major economies can overcome the challenges we face. There have been moments of crisis in the past when powerful nations turned their energies against each other, or sought to wall themselves off from the world.

Posted by plato @ 02:38 PM (648 views)

6 thoughts on “is this a statement or a warning?

• just reading your extract plato, it sounds like a warning to China

• malct……..

Yes mark’s previous post got me thinking. I heard this extract yesterday on the Greek news and it stuck in my mind – so I looked it up. Very skillfully worded – quite ambiguous yet cooperative.

• loke a weaker dog rolling over with it’s legs in the air

and yet still bare – ing it’s teeth

• that was ‘like’ btw

a couple of indicators from what passes for the real world.

Capital One want me to transfer any cc balances @ 0% for twelve months

so they seem to have their back side covered ! or ? if you know different.
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Focus DIY however don’t seem to be so secure.

I called into one of our local branches Sat. morning about 10.30. Whilst I was at the only open till, a woman asked the cashier if he would get her some help with some furniture.

Not a little bit embarassed he apologised and explained that until 11am (since 7.30am) he was the only member of staff in the store.

I burst out into a fit of laughter. The early twenty something was quite philisophical and well mannered. He said to me, “it’s not funny”

I replied in true pantomime spirit “Oh yes it is!” still laughing.

Then out of concern for his plight I said “no, you’re right it isn’t funny” and promptly burst out into uncontrollable laughter again.

“well” said he ” it can’t get any worse”. “oh yes it can ” said I, rolling out the door, knowing his world would change forever in fifteen minuits.

• A warning to China? Doesn’t the coordinated rate cut this week show cooperation? The west is their big customer, so wouldn’t they want to help out. Also, all the politicians have been spouting this ‘togetherness’ chant – I think it’s just part of their attempt at confidence building.

• And btw… Webmasters, who’s supposed to be updating the Base Rates page?