Thursday, October 23, 2008

High immigration levels will support high house prices…. not

A third of Poles driven home by recession

The rise of the Polish zloty against the pound has meant that some Poles can earn almost as much in their native country as in the UK. A third of the Polish people living in the British Isles will leave the country next year, driven out by the recession. In their home country job prospects are better and the economy has not been hit by the credit crisis. Such a large-scale withdrawal could damage the British economy. The departure of so many skilled workers could prompt fears that building sites will face a major labour shortage. The extensive building programme ahead of the 2012 London Olympics could also be at risk. Polish labour agencies are already reporting that the trickle of returning countrymen is steadily turning into a flood.

Posted by drewster @ 01:04 AM (1487 views)

19 thoughts on “High immigration levels will support high house prices…. not

• Oh no! employers will have to pay British tradesmen more than the minimum wage, house prices will have to go up to offset the additional costs

Shocking!

• It’s only been a matter of time before this started happening on a major scale. And it’s been happening for a few months now.

Like pretty much the rest of it, we’ve been able to predict the way this will pan out for a long, long time.

Pound plunges, sheeple stop spending £3.30 on a latte, Polish go home, oh-so-clever buy to let landlords can’t find anyone to take their 4 bedroom, £1500 a month turdholes in Streatham, the UK property market overshoots downwards, as Britain and London become rather unfashionable again…

Next year is going to be a very, very dark year indeed. Only by Jan 2010 will we have any idea of how we can get out of this.

• Ah, the Olimpics! I honestly think that there will be a scale down of the size of various Olimpic projects and that we won’t come even close to matching Bejing.

• japanese uncle says:

————————————————————————————————
    Never mind labor shortage, as 70% of the building project will be cancelled anyway. 2012 Olympics will be basically on charity, athletes will have to home-stay, eating at soup kitchens. Good records will hardly be expected.

• planning4acrash says:

I wonder if, with a high Zloty, if the Poles will welcome a wave of British refugees?!

• planning4acrash says:

If the Olympics can fall apart just by Poles leaving, I say, Poles, leave now to be patriotic to your new land, help save us from this WHITE GLOBALIST ELEPHANT from the global institutions that bought us famine, debt and war.

• Major job cuts in the London banking sector has resulted in struggling unemployed British bankers moving to Poland for work, leading to tension in the Polish population that local jobs are being stolen.

• Why don’t we outsource the olympics to say… China? That should save some money and the Beijing games were not too bad. + all the infrastructure is already there.

• Beijing 2008 will probably be one of the last great sporting spectaculars for some time.London 2012 is likely to be more like the original games in Greece.
    I am allready cringing just thinking about the opening ceromony.
    As for the Poles going home, in some respects its a shame.All of those that i came into contact with where very hard working and not on the scrounge.They certainly shook up our own home grown cowboy builders, with their lazy attitudes, poor time keeping and endless cups of tea, Worst of all their shoddy workmanship and lame excuses when things go wrong.

• hmm… if i could be bothered to join the list of people who wanted to say they predicted something then I would pull out something from over a year ago that i said on this blog.

I believe the wording if anybody can be bothered was along the lines of “how long do you think people will stay when the moola has run out. I am at three weeks.”

Actually of course it is always a little longer.

However, i cannot be bothered.

• As a Pole, I am a bit scared of the idea to have Britsh bankers moving to Poland for work

• Interestingly, the pound has appreciated by about 15% against the zloty in the past three weeks, which suits me because I get paid pounds but am seconded to my company’s Warsaw office for six months. Telegraph with up to the minute news, as ever.

But I have no idea why this is. You would have thought that a crowd of builders selling their sterling to buy zlotys would have the opposite effect, wouldn’t you?

• Did they buy houses in the u.k.? WIll they have to sell them?

• no doubt liar Gordon Brown will add spin to this, he will probably say he sent them all home…lol did anyone here his speech yesterday, what a crock..

• dohousescrashinthewoods says:

Houses here.. or houses back home. One very pleasant Polish chap I know is working as a waiter and has been able to build his own house and buy a couple of flats in Poland to rent out.

The irony did not escape me that in our claimed British “economic miracle”, relatively wealthy professionals in the UK cannot afford a home, yet in supposedly backwater Poland (if you believe the extremist hype) a waiter’s pay here can get you your own custom-built house and an income stream from rental properties.

Great country we have built here with our debts, guys. Looks to me like we Brits peed our future earnings up the wall in trying to be like the Yanks we claim to disdain, whilst others have been quietly investing today’s earnings for tomorrow.

The guy said he’s had enough of England. He’s had it with “chavs and pikies” treating him like a second class citizen (I think he’s referring to the same supremacist contingent I allude to above, who read the extremist hype) and is going to go home and retire on his rental income.

Man I wish I was Polish right now. Seems we have been foolish whilst others have been wise. I think we know who’s going to be second-class in short order.

• a merc costs the same in the UK as in Poland…

• Olympic opening ceremony will be hosted by Stuart Hall, and the Olympic Village will be run by a massive Polish BTL empire. We will be the laughing stock!

• I like the Poles. Very nice people and hard workers. Shame they’re going. They deserve a decent standard of living in their homeland. They suffered for 50+ years under the Nazis and then the Communists, so I’m glad things are looking up for them back home.

Now there’s plenty of others who have fetched up on our shores who I’d happily kick back into the sea, but that’s another matter………..

• I’m an immigrant and it really upsets me to hear such anti-immigration rhetoric from any civilised nation or government. I moved countries to get a better standard of living, the healthcare, job opportunities, freedom of speech, things that were not available in my homeland. I had come to offer my services and earn good money (because the currency of my home country devalues so much) maybe to buy a place in my homeland one day. Its sad to think that the people here might not want people like me.