Sunday, October 5, 2008

France To Buy 30,000 Homes. How Many Will U.S. Own?

President Nicolas Sarkozy, grappling with the global financial crisis, has decided to directly support the French construction industry by buying 30,000 homes waiting to be built, the presidential palace said Wednesday. "So that current property programs can be successfully concluded, the president...has decided to intervene directly, ordering the purchase at discounted prices of houses on which building work has not yet begun," a statement said.

Posted by malct @ 12:29 PM (850 views)

21 thoughts on “have the government buy one million new/unoccupied homes, blow them up, and then start all over agai

• I’ve second-guessed Sarkozy before, thinking he wasn’t sincere and a politcal grandstander. But in the end he’s always made sense. On the surface at least this looks like a bid for the government to become the ultimate house-flipper. On the other hand, it’s quite pragmatic.

• Cannot get the link malct. Would be interested to read this. Can anyone help?

• thanks gardennetting – odd this, looking for more background to this I found this weird bit of irony –

“Sarkozy pins dream on bricks and mortar –
    “But the French president, Nicolas Sarkozy, yesterday stepped up his plans for a Thatcherite homeowners’ revolution, as Socialists warned that his incentives for French buyers could send house prices soaring.”

Currently only 57% of French people are homeowners compared to 70% in Britain and 84% in Spain, but Mr Sarkozy wants to turn the figures around and create a “nation of property owners”.

He said this week that home ownership was “everyone’s dream” and, when asked in February what he would do if he won the lottery, he replied he would “buy a house”.

• Thanks G.

No great detail,but this has been on my mind for some time now. I can see some governments stepping in directly in the property market to in effect create a shortage. Especially in countries where social objection would lead to unrest on the streets. France is a good example. I don’t see anything co-ordinated within the EEC in this respect as each country has its own characteristics. So it looks like a case of ‘Look After Number One’ ——- Exactly the opposite of their statements.
    Now the question is : What will they do with these properties? Social Housing? That would encourage lower prices, calm down one section of society and annoy others.
    The need really is : To reduce the number of properties as rarity ensures value.
    So that really leaves ‘redevelopement’ like——– let’s have a nice museum there or something equally socially pleasing instead.
    Conclusion : Buy, Demolish, Build something else. Might actually be the plan and everyone’s happy.

• I heard recently that some new builds are already earmarked for local government purchase in the west / south west.

• Ok malct

Read your additional info re Sarkozy after I posted. I am very suspicious of Mr S. and there tends to be a lot of saying one thing and doing the opposite lately, which is why nobody can predict accurately. So I still hold with my gut feeling above.

• Plato said………I am very suspicious of Mr. S……..

Would be interested in why as I live in France and was suspicious of him when he was elected, but have found many of his programs to ultimately make sense and be good for the people…..better than I was thinking at least. He seems determined to bring France into the 21st century in many respects, has upgraded teaching of English for better competition in the market place, made housing more affordable for young people [lower interest and lower deposit or highly subsidised with great tax breaks – which wouldn’t go amiss in the UK]. So I’m interested to know where you think the duplicity is.

• indiablue19 – oh dear oh dear oh dear

against my better judgement here’s a clip of the man
    “If we give the bully his way we will be reduced, if we don’t he will attack us again and again.” – poster

from another copy of the clip (there are loads) “PS I’m also part French and American Indian…there is nothing new under the sun.”

• indiablue19

Perhaps I should have said : “All politicians” Sarkozy just happened to be the subject matter and to be fair making him a victim by association This is in relation to their behaviour in general. Purely a personal feeling on my part — I hope he proves me wrong, but I cannot help remaining suspicious in the meantime.

• and then some
    How the CIA planted one of its agents as President of the French Republic.

Nicolas Sarkozy should be judged on his actions and not on his personality.

But when his actions surprise even his own electors, it is legitimate to examine in detail his biography and to ask about the alliances which brought him to power. Thierry Meyssan decided to write the truth about the origins of the President of the French Republic. All the information contained in this article is verifiable, with the exception of two imputations, pointed out by the author who assumes sole responsibility for them.

The French people, weary of the over-long presidencies of François Mitterrand and Jacques Chirac, elected Nicolas Sarkozy and counted on his energy to revitalise their country. They hoped for a break with the years of immobilism and superannuated ideologies. They have had a break with the principles which form the foundation of the French nation. They have been stupefied by this “hyper president”, every day grabbing hold of another new file, drawing the right and the left to him, thus disposing of all the land-marks to the point of creating complete confusion.

Like children who have just done something very stupid, the French are too busy finding excuses to admit the extent of the damage and of their naïvety. This makes them refuse all the more to see who Nicolas Sarkozy is, which they ought to have realised long ago.

The man is clever. Like an illusionist, he has diverted their attention by offering them his private life as a spectacle and in posing in celebrity magazines, to the point of making them overlook his political history.

source AOL

• Sarkozy is an admirer or Tony Blair and wanted to use ‘Blair’s Britain’ as a model for France. This should tell you all you need to know about him and where France is headed.

• Shippy – you mean in another ten years they’ll get Gordon Brown ! ?

• Could be wrong, but I don’t think Sarkozy is an admirer of anyone. I think he is self-styled. I understand that he was a secret agent, similar to Putin. Who knows what this breeds in people. He is the first one I know of to stand up to strikers successfully and put the trains back on line in short order. He has quelled the city riots and tried to give people jobs instead of bricks to throw. He may be a charlatan in the long run, but he’s trying to put France in the picture industrially. May I say, he has nothing to admire other politicians, especially not the British, as France is the best run place I’ve lived and encounters with the bureaucracy required to survive here, unlike the UK, is actually congenial, and we barely speak the language – which is our fault. Transport is superb, medical care unparalleled, education seems good, we all know the food is outstanding, and by and large the people who live here seem happy with a marvelous standard of living. We have very little to spend, but we do alright, so I know it’s not loads of cash that makes the difference. There was that very strange incident of a young stock trader that “lost” millions without anyone’s knowledge. It was a raging story and then disappeared. If that’s indicative of something vitally wrong with the business system, I don’t know.

• Who is Nicolas Sarkozy?

Raanan Eliaz – European Jewish Press

In an interview Nicolas Sarkozy gave in 2004, he expressed an extraordinary understanding of the plight of the Jewish people for a home:

“Should I remind you the visceral attachment of every Jew to Israel, as A second mother homeland? There is nothing outrageous about it. Every Jew carries within him a fear passed down through generations, and he knows that if one day he will not feel safe in his country, there will always be a place that would welcome him. And this is Israel.” (From the book ” *La République, les religions, l’espérance*”, interviews with Thibaud Collin and Philippe Verdin.)

Sarkozy’s sympathy and understanding is most probably a product of his upbringing; it is well known that Sarkozy’s mother was born to the Mallah family, one of the oldest Jewish families of Salonika, Greece.

• Well, I had heard Sarkozy was previously an agent for Mossad, much like Putin worked for the KGB before becoming a politician. Honestly, I have some admiration for both of them, they haven’t tried to hide their ideas nor their past. Whatever they’ve learned in a previous incarnation appears to have made them decent leaders. I can’t speak for their politics and don’t know their personal credo, but both of them seem oriented toward trying to do the best for their countries. I may survive to eat those words on toast, but in their own way they seem each seem to me more honest than some because they’re not just hiding behind the political party thing.

• back to the plan… (bearing in mind the link doesn’t work for me either)

Surely offering to buy new builds will have some bizarre effect? What are the government going to do with them? Leave them empty? Have them built and immediately knocked down? What price are they going to pay? Will it mean that a frenchman wanting to buy a newbuild will have to compete on price with his own government? How the F**K does that work? “Ah weel pay you sank sousand oooro for zees ous” “Non! Ah weel pay six sousand for zees ous!” “But where weel you find ze money for zees?” “You”.

Or will the government just subsidise the cost of the newbuilds? Won’t this make newbuilds far more popular, making older properties worth even less? So anyone who already owns a house (which is falling in value) loses even more. While FTBs (who were quite happy to see prices crashing) get helped even more?

Really don’t understand how this will work.

• sorry about the link – no idea what happened – follow gardennetting @3

or google

I think it is on the cards for the UK guv to buy housing stock and rent it out

can anyone think of a name for such an enterprise?

• “I think it is on the cards for the UK guv to buy housing stock and rent it out”

I suppose the tenants will, after a few years “have the right” to buy them for next to nothing.

• Inbreda

You like me are making a mistake and thinking rationally. We will never guess the moves accurately. I am beginning to wonder if all these very wealthy politicians are so terrifed they wiill also be victims and may actually lose their wealth that they are prepared to do absolutely anything.

• Oh Inbreda, and the other thing you got wrong is that first time French buyers here don’t speak broken English