Thursday, September 4, 2008

We work longer than almost anyone to pay for RIP-OFF Britain

UK work week among EU's longest

UK workers are among the hardest working people in Europe, with only Romanians and Bulgarians putting in longer hours - Yes, we must work longer to pay for our overpriced property, both rented and bought, the stealth taxes the guv'mint charge us and so that we can keep our sorry heads above water and the exorbatant prices of nearly everything from food to fuel to beer and fags. SHORTEST WEEKLY HOURS France - 37.7, Italy - 38.4, Denmark - 38.6, Portugal - 38.8, Belgium - 38.8 LONGEST WEEKLY HOURS Bulgaria - 41.7, Romania - 41.7, UK - 41.4, Czech Republic - 41.2, Austria - 41.1 - Remember this when you're told by the shower of a guv'mint, to work harder.

Posted by nooneo @ 04:23 PM (1070 views)

19 thoughts on “We work longer than almost anyone to pay for RIP-OFF Britain

• I personally work at least 45 hours before I even get to Saturday – which is 8 till 3. Can’t find another job that has less hours. Yer it’s slavery…

• Gone from a 35 hour week under the tories to a minimum of 39.5 hours under our current glubberment doing the same job, in real terms I was actually better off in 1992.

• Maybe the figures are distorted by all the Polish labourers working 60 hour weeks?

• stillthinking says:

The reason we work longer is because we don’t work at anything productive. I am sure the people beavering away at the failed NHS IT system sometimes put in long hours, but so what.

• I’d put : Spend more time at work rather than “are among the hardest working people.” Nevertheless good workers are certainly ripped off and others encouraged to stay at home. How anyone can import labour when there are so many citizens sitting idol is beyond me. This importing unemployment.
    I know many are going to turn round and say it’s because the foreign workers are more reliable (and cheaper), but again this is a result of poor education and training here which is the real reason.(Government again I’m afraid)
    High standards mean less time —– simple as that.

• The French figure given here is incorrect according to the INSEE (national statistic office). They say the average week is 41 hours rising to 44 hours for executive level workers (Cadres). For Switzerland the average is 45 hours (source: Swiss Labour Office).

• @stillthinking
    @plato

I had similar thoughts about the kind of work we do. Now that so much of our economy is ‘service’ based, how many hours of office ‘work’ actually mean pushing pointless bits of paper through a NuLabour job creation system or even just browsing the net or blogging during work hours? (I wonder how many of us blog during employer’s time.)

Measuring work in hours is very typical of the trend to apply metrics to everything but may not tell you anything about quality or productivity.

• last_days_of_disco says:

It really is a simple problem and it comes down to the fact that the British Government has become
    feminine and promoted wimp behavior.

You have to compete and you have to win and that leads to conflict.

Conflict avoidance strategies (which pervades every pore of our society — uurghh) leads to a population
    who not trained in how to win. We need to take the same strategy that won those 19 gold medals and apply
    it to our education system. Bring more sensible competition into schools, the standards *must* be high and beyond any
    fiddling, or allowing people through so they feel “included”. That is a feminine value that is laudable in theory
    but results in a bunch of weak/manipulative people in positions of authority. And when they are tested, they will
    collapse or weasel their way out of it because they have not got what it takes to actually do the job. Weaseling out
    of the responsibility does *not count* as being effective because ultimately we all pay for that.

As an example of an area I am involved in. In scouts it is explicitly told to scout masters to make it
    easier for some kids so everyone feels included. This same thinking pervades our education thinking.
    This is completely unacceptable and results in the increasing exclusion of boys from society because they
    simply tune out. Who wants badge in physical fitness when a dude in a wheelchair can earn the same badge
    from his wheelchair! Its a fundamental misunderstanding of what makes boys tick. They have testosterone
    and it makes them competitive. You take that away, they lose interest.

I am not saying that girls and people with disabilities shouldn’t be given a chance to shine but *not* at the expense
    of boys. The current stance is so anti-male we simply are losing them. They are voting with their feet in scouts.

Baden Powel who said “Boys must be taught to shoot and obey orders otherwise they will be captured and
    slaughtered like a bunch of squealing rabbits”, must be spinning in his grave.

The results are obvious, we are, rubbish, hence we have to import some real men from overseas.

• you lot are really hard work

Tax Freedom Day 2008 falls on 2 June.

This means that for 155 days of the year, every penny earned by the average UK resident was taken to support government expenditures.

misquote of the day contest

“girls and people with disabilities shouldn’t be given a chance to shine ”

“we have to import some real men from overseas”

“The reason we work longer is because we don’t work ”

“How anyone can import labour when there are so many citizens sitting idol is beyond me.”

“his wheelchair! Its a fundamental misunderstanding of what makes boys tick”

“Boys must be taught to shoot and obey orders ”

“UK workers are among the hardest working people in Europe, with only Romanians and Bulgarians putting in longer hours – Maybe the figures are distorted by all the Polish labourers working 60 hour weeks?”

lol

• Hmmmm – my working week is only 28 hours – what a slacker I am.

• last_days_of_disco says:

@malct

Yeah, ok, its the economy stupid seems to be your position:

But how did we get here?
    How did it happen that the government is taking 155 days out of every year for their unprofitable schemes?
    What is the core that is causing this situation to explode more and more out of control?

In a democracy its the majority that have been caught under an almost hypnotic spell of political correctness.
    It seems like there is a suffocating blanket of health and safety policed by very nice people who you daren’t disagree with or they may look disapprovingly at you and then you are doomed and excluded (so much for all their talk of being inclusive).
    You can’t escape the thieving of the government at every turn, they are everywhere.
    You go to the movies and their are ads telling you to drive safely and other stuff advertising the BBC (its really cool according to the ads :-P).
    I can’t take it anymore!

I find that there is something wired inside me that just rebels against this stuff, am I the only one who feels this way?

We need to do something radical to break this stranglehold.

Will voting in the Tories solve the problem? Or will it just change the colour of the suffocating blanket.

Help!

I am semi-joking about this, but the above is reality for me. I think the economy is the right place to see the effects but the wrong place to find the causes. The causes are ideological.

• “Only 2 things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I’m note sure about the former” – Albert Einstein

• tyrellcorporation says:

In total agreement Disco.

At least the political tide has turned, even some of my lefty mates are questioning the New Labour experiment. It’s just a shame it’s been carried out at the expense of just about everything. Still my wife has joint NZ nationality so I always have my escape podule to climb into (selfish old me eh?).

• wealthyvagrant says:

Totally agree Disco.

A primary school teacher friend said how they were discouraged from activities where there would be winners and losers, this doesn’t prepare people for the real world, it just prepares people for the nanny state which we all no is not sustainable in a competitive global economy. This insanity now pervades every aspect of society.

• last_days_of_disco says:

Just saw this:

Groan, help, help, help. I mean, is nothing sacred. More disapproving nice people.

I can’t see any way out, its almost like we have to ditch the US to get rid of the rights mentality and restore our honour based system so we can do things “wrong” again and hence have real competition.

Ditch the EU to get rid of the pervasive control freakyness. I love the Germans but I have a problem, I am not German. Hey but the buses will be on time, that won’t help me, because I am never on time. Losing again…

Help, I am little Britain. Agggghhh.

This is terrible.

Maybe we could set up a country where all the losers from all these control freaky places can come. Like “Pirates island” or something. Sounds fun in theory, probably less fun in practice. Someone might nuke us if we did that. Didn’t we have this idea as a country before?

• LDOD..

I can relate to your frustration. LOL

Conspiracies aside, maybe most of us are simply so confused as to who we are, what the real world is or should be and what our reason for being is, that we are all just plain lost?

Its like we are trying to force great ideas to work that never could…. all these great economists, psycologists, religions and thinkers etc. Very few people are able to admit they are wrong (let alone that their fathers might be!) in my experience… most likely including me LOL! So we all just carry on with the facade, blocking what we know to be true to protect our pride while digging ourselves deeper. Always there is a need for action which brings with it the big idea and hence more problems.

The only vaguely realistic solution I can see is if we can all somehow grow up. Alan Watt’s speaks a lot of sense if you ask me… just one view, and partly where I got my idea above. If youve never heard of him his recording/writings are well worth some time IMO.

Not really relevant to HPC mind.

• Van Hoogstraten says:

It has always struck me as odd that when this statistic is trotted out, nobody asks the question that maybe people work longer hours in the UK because they are incompetent/inefficient and need twice as long to get the job done.

Just as when the bleeding hearts wail that we of all the European nations, jail the highest percentage of our population, it is never suggested that this may be a result of a much larger propensity to commit crime as a national characteristic of the UK.

After all which other nation has ever needed to use a whole country rather than a building as a jail for its lawbreakers.

• a bit late with this but whatever –

Thursday, September 4
    The Dumb, the Stupid, the Clueless and the Uninformed. (extract)

I’ve been away for awhile… maybe a month or more… maybe I’ve always been away and just drop in on occasion with a new personality for the next period of engagement. It’s hard to know what’s what. Look at the problem people have with reality. They must have a problem with it because they will accept anything but and they generally prefer to be told what is happening rather than look into the situation themselves. By the title of this piece and by your own observations, I guess you know I’m talking about significantly more than half of the population.

I’ve long been of the opinion that all of the great and transformative acts for good that are practiced on this Earth are accomplished by ten percent of the people. I’ve also felt that the majority of evil is accomplished by another ten percent. The people in the middle are the hamburger meat in the fast food restaurant of the times in which we live. Among this group are thirty six personality types and you meet them all as you go and long before you actually leave. There are a handful of unique characters who exemplify their time and there is a much larger group that plays a tape loop over and over again until it wears out. You could no more talk to these people about what is really going on than you could convince them that they have anything to do with it.

Les Visible