Friday, September 5, 2008

Struggling Gordon Brown accused of betrayal

Gordon Brown faced further threats to his faltering premiership today as a Labour MP and a union leader joined a chorus of criticism from his own side. Like a rabbit caught in the headlights, he appears to be totally out of touch with what is actually going on. His assertion that fuel poverty would be reduced (while actually doing nothing to prevent that scenario) is just more hot air. The only situation that comes close to this level of "head in the sandness" was after the poll-tax riots in March 1991 when cabinet ministers had to actually spell it out to Thatcher what her policy had acheived (the virtual destruction of a square mile of the capitals west end) !

Posted by nooneo @ 01:29 PM (668 views)

8 thoughts on “Put another jumper on (that makes 3 now ) and hunker down, it’s gonna b-b-b-be c-c-c-cold this w-w-w-winter !

• notaneconomicsguru says:

That would have been March1990.

By March 1991 Thatcher was gone. John Major was the (un-elected) PM and Michael Heseltine’s Council Tax was either in place or soon to be implemented. Nonetheless Thatcher’s Poll Tax implementation was very badly timed as it hit many families with 2 adults hard when they were already being squeezed by sky high mortgage bills, inflation at over 10%, mortgage interest rates peaking at 15% and rapidly increasing unemployement. Given the poll tax was on her agenda since at least 1975, it is one just one of many articles of history that illustrates that arrogance, stupidity and incompetance are not the sole preserve of the Labour Party. That said Gordo is finished and so are Labour. They are also now history in all but name.

What we should now all be doing is actually taking Camaloon and whatever his pasty faced meally mouthed shadow cabinet non-entities are called and start really laying into them and giving them a proper roasting over what they’d do differently, how they would make things better and why we should actually bother to vote for them. What I want to see avoided at all costs is yet another bunch of wasters get in unchallenged simply because they aren’t the current government whilst a bunch of lazy journalists and public prefer the self indulgent sport of chewing up and spitting out a dying government to actually trying to face up to the challenge and responsibility of how to shape the government of the future.

• notaneconomicsguru @ 1

Well said. I expect an incompetent Labour government to be replaced by an inept Conservative one.

Party politics is killing the UK. We are completely fooked. It really is a case of “The king is dead. Long live the king”

It’s obvious really. This country seems to think that a constitutional monarchy is OK in the 21st century. This country simply doesn’t do CHANGE.

• last_days_of_disco says:

I think everyone underestimates Cameron. His opponents in the Conservative party don’t make that mistake anymore though.

• notaneconomicsguru says:

4. Actually, at the moment I think its more the case that the Conservative Party just keeps itself quiet whilst the government destroys itself. I think all of the old problems of the Tories are mostly still there – but now the Governments fortunes have crashed they no longer have to wring their hands and fight each other out of sheer desperation. I think Camaloon is merely luckier than his predecessors in coming along just as NuLabour was crumbling. I bet even IDS (the whispering one) would be way ahead of Broon in the polls right now.

• The Tories seem to be playing a waiting game, letting the government hang themselves with the economy. Even with so many Labour own goals it’s surprising how silent the opposition have been in recent months – no real challenge. The economy is a ‘poison chalice’, the last thing the Tories must wish, is to get into government now – far better to wait another 18 months until the bottom has been reached – then the only way may be up.

• The trouble is the Cam-moron and co is that the are rigidly stuck in the past (“Oh, I went to Eton with binky” – “Oh, I went to Eton with binky as well, fnar, fnar ,fnar”). Grammar schools may be one thing but the really haven’t got the general population’s interests at heart. I do believe when (not if ) they get in they will decimate the benefit system (it definitely needs sorting – “Oh, i’ve broken my finger, I can’t work for 4 years now”) and they FINALLY have stopped trying to destroy the NHS (They will probably sell it off NHS trust by NHS trust).

We a fooked because they (party politics) feel the need to express their DIFFERENCES to differantiate between themselves , when in actuality, those differences are diminishing with every decade.

Social Housing – Tory (who cares) Labour (who cares)
    NHS – Tory (If we have too) Labour (lets give GPs 100k for working less hours)
    Business – Tory (the hub of the economy) Labour (the hub of the economy)
    Immigration – Tory (they clean my house and work in my business) Labour (someones gotta pay for the benefit system)
    Home ownership – Tory (good thing – a booming market increases our popularity) Labour (good thing – a booming market increases our popularity)

Unfortunately like s2r1, I beleive the madness that is party politics will continue until enough people are hurting !!!

I know the world will have changed when Cam-moron says “Yes I really think that the car workers/miners/bin men/streat cleaners deserve a rise in pay above the rate of inflation becasue there jobs is so vital” – Becasue tories will ONLY ever believe that people who wear TIES and work in the CITY deserve that sort of treatment.

• nooneo – right there with you – great work

tc – hilarious back up at 3:49

• nooneo & tc

I recently tried to explain to a close friend how difficult it is to anticpate HPC admin’s response to certain subjects and issues contained in submitted articles and comments. And how easy it is to lose the use of the password and be unable to participate real time. Eventually, I explained it thus :-

It reminds me of Michael Bentine’s imaginery game of ‘Hummock Cricket’ where there is a hill between the wickets so the bowler can’t see the batsman and the batsman can’t see the ball coming. Or another concept I’ve just imagined, football played on a circular pitch with the goal posts mounted on a track around the perimeter with someone in the box with a playstation moving them both around at will. If there were two tracks the opposing goal posts could pass each other in different directions.

That in turn reminds me of a real event in a Hercules flight simulator at Lyneham. Everyone wanted to be in the pilots seat, understandable but sad, except me that is. I hung back and found the flight engineer’s desk in a dark corner. Amongst other things, I found I could adjust the weight of the payload and move it backwards and forwards altering the centre of gravity of the aircraft. The havoc I caused intensified the focus of the group forwards and not even the instructor realised what was happening (back to machine or human fault he must have wondered). The staff outside did rumble me however and I got a bollocking for creating a dangerous situation in their work area.

malc

ps – I’m sure this comment has extreme relevence to the fundamental issues faced by bloggers coping with the unique house price crash reality. But just in case I’m going to save it to disk very quickly.