Thursday, September 4, 2008

Work after retirement, says Blunkett

Older people should be prepared to work after they reach retirement age for as long as they are physically able to, former cabinet minister David Blunkett said today. Blunkett said that as the number of older Britons continues to rise, it was wrong to assume that the government should have "prime responsibility" for elderly care. Blunkett disputed the government's admission of a £6bn "black hole" in funding elderly care and called for more older people to use equity release schemes to fund their care.

Posted by jack c @ 06:41 PM (1230 views)

18 thoughts on “Now Blunkett tells us work until we drop and use equity release to fund your own long term care

• “Work after retirement.”

Great example of newspeak and doublethink. Is it from Orwell’s 1984?

• tyrellcorporation says:

The retirement age will be 70 at least by the time I ‘retire’. Who’s gonna want to employ a burnt out husk at 75, etc? This place is becoming a joke. I should have joined the Police at 16 and I’d be able to retire at 50 on an amazing pension. Then I could effectively have a new life all over again at the next generation’s expense.

• Yes…………. I would like all my N.I. contributions toward my retirement returned to me. Then I can make my own arrangements and not trouble the government with such a responsible task.
    Actually I’ve hardly used the NHS as well,so might as well return that to me as well. I think that is fair. Let’s all look after number 1.

• Great idea. Let those who invest by buying their own property, looking after it and increasing its value while foregoing such bourgeois luxuries as holidays, and maybe even looking after themselves into the bargain – so they live longer and are healthier into older age, pay through the nose all their working lives to support the really important people in this country – Govt. workers and those who are prepared to suffer the ultimate sacrifice of living off benefits, smoking, drinking and getting fat.

Another point scored for the feckless against the honest worker!

Don’t get me wrong, I am not aiming my rant at those who are genuinely disadvantaged – only at the career slackers and institutionally lazy.

• Too right tyrellcorp, wish I had a gold-plated pension to show for my working life, it’s not like they even have a guaranteed government scheme that you could pay into yourself. People have lost shedloads of money through filthy pension companies creaming off fees here there and everywhere, whether they perform or not and/or going bust. It’s no wonder that people have piled into BTL.
    Working past 65 should be a choice and it’s outrageous to expect people to have to work into their seventies with thousands of able-bodied kids masquerading as students to keep them off the unemployment figures. Not to mention taxpayer-funded bailouts for reckless bankers (and homeowners) as TC says. Sometimes I wonder if I should go back to NZ, I have dual nationality….

• titan

What a trruly vile character this one is. Comes out of the woodwork to preach government responsibility while he’ll rake in an enormous pension for himself paid for by us…………. This man is not a man. I hope 60 million people read this.

• Guys eventually the apathy will turn to anger – dare I say it but HPC regulars are (IMO) a bit ahead of the game – as S2R1 regularly points out “more destruction required”

• Actually, Charles Clarke did respond today. he told Gordo to “respond or quit”, the BBC said.

I think he is a man of principle, and the sort of “old labour” type I voted for long ago.

I think apathy is draining away right now, titanic captain.

• I honestly have to agree with absolutely everything in the aboved 11 posts. A first for me

• Scenario……nurse works for next to nothing all her life! lives outside London in a 2 bed park home, travels in to the city and cares for and pampers the rich good for nothing Bankers, accountants, estate agents and footballers etc. She has reached 60+ and has aches and pains because of the hard work. She has to force herself to carry on working and on her way in to London she is passed by the 50+ retired and wealthy golden handshake boys and girls in their performance cars driving to their private jets, yachts and luxury holiday homes with gold taps and marble floors.

• I once saw a interview Between Sir David Frost and John Mortimer. John suggested that after Blunketts disgraced exit, he should retire to the south coast and raise bees.
    God Bless you John. :0)

• Surely Mr Blunkett was not allowed to finish his speech. Maybe, if he’d been given more time, he might have said “Work beyond retirement age if you’re employed in the private sector because New Labour has taken tens of billions from your pension funds to pay inflation proofed final salary pensions to the public sector”.

• If you’re so clever then what do you propose to do about the demographic situation:

At the beginning of the last century there were ten workers for every one pensioner.
    Today there are four workers for every pensioner.
    By 2050, there will be two workers for every pensioner.

Do you have an answer for that which doesn’t involve everybody working longer?

• @ drewster,

stop screwing monstrous amounts of tax out of practically everyone in the UK whilst allowing ‘non-doms’ and corporations to make countless billions and pay essentially nothing (have a read of this, it’ll make your hair stand on end – http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2002/apr/11/politics.economy )…… stop squandering tax payers money on useless computer systems that no-one wants….. on white elephants like the Olympics….. stop paying incapacity benefit to any of the 2.5 million (2.5 MILLION!!!!!!) people who claim but who could be in work whilst immigrants are allowed into the country to do the jobs “British people don’t want to do”…… stop paying MPs whatever they want in terms of expenses, pensions, etc….. stop paying the Queen ANYTHING…. It all adds up.

• honest valuer says:

Drewster, How about a superannuation system like Australia or Norway where funds are ring fenced and invested overseas for long term capital and income growth rather than put in the general taxation pot and p***ed away? If a private pension comany had done a massive pyramid selling scam like the British pension system the directors would be in prison by now!!

• Letsgetreadytotumble says:

What a cheek. This bunch of socialists squeeze the working population so much with taxation we’re not allowed to keep enough money to better prepare ourselves for old age.

You rip us off with 10% of our pay to so call provide all these services and then default on them. Scrap the NI and allow us to make our own plans. The PAYE taxpayers get screwed and the self employed pay very much less. All part of the general unfairness in the UK

I bet this won’t effect all the overpaid ex government workers on their fancy pensions that we pay for.

And the workshy who have wormed their way onto the gravytrain have nothing to worry about.

God, it’s time we got this all sorted. Scrap the welfare state and part fund charities to look after the genuine cases. This would rid us of all the scroungers. Scrap the government run systems. Greatly reduce made-up public sector jobs, and cut local councils to a bare minimum.

Greatly reduce taxation, but after investing in wealth producing industries, such as manufacturing, farming and fishing. Oh, and get out of the EU as quick as possible.

The present system stinks, and we are quite literally doomed. Funnily enough, I think that’s what this Labour administration wants, but I can’t work out why. Labour is now dangereous and should be iradicated, although they’ll probably do that themselves, as there as broke as UK plc.

• theboltonfury says:

i’m sorry as this sounds bad. I now hope that Blunkett’s dog runs off and he’s left fumbling round the house trying to find his door key for ever.

easy to say when he’s on 100k a year til he’s about 150 thanks to his paying subjects

• From an actuarial perspective, WTF else do you expect to happen? People are being kept alive in decrepit states for far too long, birth rates are dropping, demographics are shifting, long term interest rates are low.

The alternative (and one I advocate) is to legalise and enthusiastically endorse euthanasia and to scale back the level of NHS care offered to the elderly that keeps them alive long after they really naturally would be better off dying.

Neither are politically palatable options, but soon our hands will be forced.