Friday, August 15, 2008

How Does This Affect House Prices?

Russia: Poland risks attack because of US missiles

MOSCOW (AP) — An agreement that will allow the United States to install a missile defense battery in Poland exposes the ex-communist nation to an attack, a Russian general said Friday. Poland and the U.S. struck a deal on Thursday to deepen military ties and place a missile interceptor base in Poland. Gen. Anatoly Nogovitsyn, deputy chief of the Russian general staff told reporters Friday that the agreement exacerbates U.S.-Russian relations that are already tense because of fighting between Georgian and Russian forces. He said the deal "cannot go unpunished." Worth a little consideration.

Posted by plato @ 12:38 PM (1004 views)

14 thoughts on “How Does This Affect House Prices?

• Plato, I will say this only once.. It is apparent that games are being are being played on a macro scale.. to avoid the HPC being pulled into uch a maelstrom, that woul merely encourage radicals or fundamentalists which we have a few vis-a-vis commodities, which are relevant and “on the surface” & non-political, I would like to think that we could maintain some form of decorum. As going geo-pol.. and missile shields, although maybe relevant, will have uis all labelled even the sanist amongst us as “nutters”, and also open the opportunity to incorporate all sorts of tenuous links, which although relevant, may prove politically incorrect. Sadly, we live in these times, but to be vigilant, and overcome, my advice is to avoid. Let’s concentrate on the matters at hand. Rising unemployment, high inflation, depreciating sterling, low wages, ineffectual unions, which to the “man on the street” are relevant. And of course, house prices, rental costs, etc, etc. Therefore, in relation to the areas I have reflected on, please can you inform me of the relevance of a missile shield agreement on the HPC website. Pray tell!!!

• As a rule, ‘superpowers’ do not take each other on, they pick on easy opponents – this is sabre rattling.

• well if have a nuclear war then house prices will plummet, maybe building shelters would be a good investment now

• japanese uncle says:

Sounds like a recreation of the Cuban crisis. We must remember which country, Russia or Georgia that invaded South Ossetia and destroyed two thousands lives in the first place.

• @plato

I think Stevie Dee is right. This is too far off the track for this blog.

• I’m sure one could link this to HPC (geopolitics linked to global economics linked to the UK economy) but the burden of proof of such a link is on the person posting this story.

• Russia’s foreign policy effects polish house prices. And its not the same as cuba, these are not nuclear weapons. Yes it effects the strategic situation, but these missiles are not offensive weapons. Russia is out of line.

• I agree Icarus, not intedning to thwart “free speech”, but there are some extremely intelligent people on here, and a lot of fantastic and useful info, but we need not be so overt with geo.. as some may use it as an opportunity to undermine the integrity of this forum. Which is primarily HPC, I agree with some of the beliefs of the individuals publishing articles, but I consider myself able to read between the lines, an open season on publishing anything and then labelling it in association will in my view detract from the purpose of HPC, which is to abreast and current on topical issues which matter on a daily basis. To educate and inform. In short, if in 3 years times, the man with the sandwich board saying “the end of the world is nigh” is correct in his prediction, then most individuals on here, who are both educated (of both academia & life) and informed will have made this call already, and made the subsequent provisions or preparations i.e. in my case, a house full of alcohol, great music, and a half a dozen nympho’s. And not forgetting the twiglets!

• Gas / Oil prices / More tax spent on UK military spending – monthly household budget??

• waitingfor hpc says:

i think the Russians have a point and the USA is out of control!!!!!!!!

• #7, yes I know, but there has always been a budget for military spending.. you seem to forget we have a pipeline form Norway for the gas.. we in britain are quite lucky, no wonder the french went nuclear (but easy targets in a war scenario). But the world is not going to end, the world will merely adjust to the circumstances or decisions played upon it. But we in the UK do deserve a leader or leadership that will deliver a strong direction, free from the US/EU sphere of influence, which has ineffect surpressed our full potential. Things are now changing, and I believe a great opportunity will come for the UK (a diverse & multi-cultural society with history and strong links) to win the day.

• The Russians are in an excellent position to cause the breakup of Nato. Just suppose they intervened in one of the newer Eastern European Nato states (for whatever reason) for example. The UK and US basically could just about muster a spare brigade and a spare divison respectively taking into account all of the other ridiculous middle eastern commitments they have. As for Germany and France, can’t see them wanting to get involved in any way whatsoever unless they themselves are threatened. The expansion of Nato in recent years could be its downfall.

• Hackfleisch32 says:

This sheild will have no noticable impact on house prices, neither here in Poland nor anywhere. The only thing worth mentioning is that the majority of people here were agains this szit. And if Russians decided to launch a nuclear rocket towards Poland, it would go directly into my flat in the center of the capital city – Warsaw, (or my neighbour’s). House(price)crash:].

hackfleisch32, Warsaw, Poland

• Thanks gentelmen for your comments. You will excuse me Steevie Dee if I occasionally introduce a wider concept to HPC. I understand your thoughts, but I am quite happy to let the Webmaster decide on the relevance to HPC.
    Actually my headline asks the very question you pose. IMHO the two cannot be seperated,but agreed it is likely to influence digression.
    Saying that, I see no evidence of this in the comments so far.

BTW a Polish friend of mine told me that they will now be returning to the safety of the UK en masse, thus revitalising the UK housing market.