Thursday, July 17, 2008

Naomi Klein Reexamines "The Shock Doctrine"

As the country and the world reel from crises ranging from skyrocketing oil prices and global food shortages to housing and climate change, how best to understand the government policies being pushed through? President Bush has lifted an almost two-decade-old executive order banning offshore and natural gas drilling. With prices at the pump over $4 a gallon, Bush has been pushing to allow more drilling in the Outer Continental Shelf and the Arctic Wildlife National Refuge, amidst strong opposition from environmentalists.

Posted by malct @ 11:13 AM (1098 views)

14 thoughts on “Amy Goodman: Food, fuel, housing, climate change – talk about these crises. First, start with oil.

• NO CONSIRACY HERE just a clear political strategy (seriously)

Naomi Klein: Yeah, it’s – I mean, there really is a kind of a tsunami of shocks facing not just the economy but people’s lives, people’s real lives. They’re all intersecting. They’re making each other worse.

And I think we really are seeing some very live examples of what a write about in the book, which is how there is a strategy. And this is what I mean by “the shock doctrine.”

There is a clear political strategy, and has been for several decades, to exploit these moments when people are desperate for quick-fix solutions and more inclined to believe in a kind of a magical cure, to push through very, very unpopular policies that don’t actually solve the crisis at hand, that don’t actually help people, but are incredibly profitable for multinational corporations.

• spelling error internentional

• Naomi Klein is a devil of a researcher (I mean good.) The Shock Doctrine is a hefty tome worth reading. There are some criticisms of her conclusions but really an all round a fantastic resource for identifying the actors who engage in this despicable way of doing business. I have wondered about the current situation, it seems right for exploiting by the more extreme voices in disaster capitalism. I agree that Cosisracies suck. (patronizizing but aslo internentional.)

• shipbuilder says:

Nice one Malct. If we’re going to have ‘wider’ topics posted on here (and i’m happy with that), i’ll take well researched and reasoned journalism of Naomi Klein over the paranoid cr*p of ‘infowars’ and the like any day.

• The goalposts on this website have never been too clear, but this week they keep moving.

I posted what I thought would be a controversial article on several counts, half expecting it to be pulled.

Instead I get positive comments from two regular critics and the webmaster pulls a couple of presumably adverse comments before I get a chance to read them! (clues anyone as to why they were pulled).

Meanwhile nooneo appears to have had a valid article dissappeared along with about 9 comments.

Is it the weather? or perhaps consciousness in a quandry?

• Any mention in her book about 9/11 as a disaster that needed to be ‘fixed’?

• [email protected], July 17, 2008 03:32PM

is this a real question or a sideways answer?

are you suggesting that otherwise rational people become different faced with 9/11 issues?

If so, this could be one direct effect our society has on our mental and emotional health.

Thus explaining a great deal.

• shipbuilder says:

7. malct said…

“The goalposts on this website have never been too clear, but this week they keep moving.

Instead I get positive comments from two regular critics.”

You know my answer to this, malct – John Pilger, Naomi Klein, Noam Chomsky etc. – all well respected and well researched.
    Alex Jones’ ‘Infowars’ et al. – paranoid nutcases with suspect motives.
    You won’t get any of the above droning on about the NWO and the like because they know (whether they like to believe it or not) there is no evidence for it.
    Alex Jones and his ilk simply say whatever fits their twisted agenda.
    The difference is night and day as far as i’m concerned.

• shipbuilder – to the best of my knowledge Alex Jones is a CIA asset.

He has been effective in ensuring certain topics raise emotions and exclude logical thought – like today.

• I agree with shipbuilder and others, this is an excellent article. It’s not really related to HPC but it’s well-researched and informative and absolutely deserving of a wider audience.

If you liked this you may also like Naomi Klein’s recent article for Rolling Stone magazine about how the Chinese government use the best CCTV technology in the world to maintain order and silence dissent. They are keen to export this technology to the west, and western governments are keen to buy it!

Rolling Stone: China’s All-Seeing Eye
    “China today represents a new way to organize society. Sometimes called “market Stalinism,” it is a potent hybrid of the most powerful political tools of authoritarian communism — central planning, merciless repression, constant surveillance — harnessed to advance the goals of global capitalism.”

• shipbuilder says:

I know several people whose telephone calls or TV in China mysteriously (and consistently) cut out when ‘controversial’ topics were mentioned. Scary stuff.

• malct 3.44pm. It was a real question. The title suggested that governments exploit disasters to offer ‘solutions’ that suit them or their backers. The solution to 9/11 (inside job or not) was the war on terror, which suited certain groups. Nothing tongue-in-cheek.

• If I might paraphrase this ridiculous nonsense

to the best of my knowledge Alex Jones malct/Planningforacrash/Sold2rent/everyone else in the whole world is a CIA asset.

He, she, them, it has been effective in ensuring certain topics raise emotions and exclude logical thought – like today.

• icarus,

Naomi Klein talks about the post 9/11 response of the US administration a fair bit in The Shock Doctrine.

Chapter 14 talks about the homeland security bubble. Opens with a jaw dropping quote from Richard Nixon on Donald Rumsfeld “He’s a ruthless little [email protected]@rd. You can be sure of that”

malct,

As for this;

Is it the weather? or perhaps consciousness in a quandry”

No consciousness quandary, not on my part anyway. I just like facts. It’s a hobby. The usual conspiracy tripe is overwhelmingly stinky in it’s lack of fact. Alex Jones being just the most obvious offender. N.K. is a bloody good researcher up there as shipbuilder noted with Chomsky and Pilger. I am dubious about the articles relevance to the HPC and your motives in posting it here, but the article itself is streets ahead of the other one I’ve been posting so strenuously about.