Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Who needs more than a 2% pay rise…

Police lose pay fight in landmark battle

olice officers were left 'extremely disappointed' today after losing their High Court battle over Home Secretary Jacqui Smith's refusal to carry out their 2.5% pay award in full. Police Federation lawyers accused the minister of approaching police pay "with a closed mind". They argued that she was complying with "Treasury diktat" when she shaved off three months worth of the recommended increase by refusing to backdate it, effectively reducing the award to 1.9%

Posted by afrobaggie @ 02:09 PM (748 views)

7 thoughts on “Who needs more than a 2% pay rise…

• The first thing Maggi Thatcher did when she got in to power was give the police a pay rise, she could see the civil unrest ahead and needed their support. This government obviously don’t have the same worries about the general population getting grumpy.

• How can the government fail to give the police, of all public sector workers, and nurses below inflation pay rises and they be accepted. The Unions are as useless now as the govrenment is corrupt. If both these sectors walk out the country would collapse. If the tanker drivers, police and nurses all walked out at the same time, there would be total anarchy, especially as the army would not be inclined to help out, as theya re being payed less than traffic wardens. From surplus to massive deficit in ten years, its a ‘miracle economy’ and not a good one.

• STRIKE!

• holding out says:

Still on the plus side. Wayne Rooney and his lovely bride-to-be Colleen can afford a good bash and that should keep the people happy.

• I bet this doesn’t include various bonuses, promotion rises and the rest of it. You can be sure there’s a deal behind the scenes by the masters of spin.

• I’ve just read somewhere that lorry drivers have rejected an offer of 6.8%

• I don’t like coppers ever since I got fitted up by two bored traffic cops for a minor driving offence I hadn’t committed. They both lied through their teeth in court. Luckily I only got a £2 fine and no endorsement but this has tainted how I feel about them all my life. I know this is off topic but please indulge me as I feel a bit better for getting it out.