Monday, June 16, 2008

Great comedy!

Good news in the housing market

"The house-price index produced by the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) showed a rise of 0.7% in April and was 4.9% up on a year earlier" "Jeremy Leaf, housing spokesman for Rics, saw some green shoots in the figures, with an easing of the pace of decline in new buyer inquiries and the fact that the gloom on prices did not increase further (not that there was much room for it to do so)" My sides are splitting, can anyone please laugh for me?

Posted by confused76 @ 02:02 PM (1284 views)

9 thoughts on “Great comedy!

• Comedy club interlude – a further dose of reality “Kensington looks to make 75 staff redundant Story by: David Pawsey Magazine: MortgageAdviser Published Monday , June 16, 2008 Kensington has announced 75 staff are at risk of redundancy due to the CONTINUED MARKET DOWNTURN. http://www.ftadviser.com/MortgageAdviser/Mortgages/News/article/20080616/c257bd92-3b9e-11dd-b45c-0015171400aa/Kensington-looks-to-make-75-staff-redundant.jsp

• Comical Ali = David Smith ofthe housing market

Makes me laugh!!!!

• Ah, those green shoots. Now spring is turning to summer I expect them to pop up more often.

• last_days_of_disco says:

Posted a comment, they never accept them though.

• How many journalists will lose their jobs also – for years of whipping up the market when they have not a clue what they are talking about

• Are these the same people that produce the inflation statistics?

• Jack Of Diamonds says:

I have been viewing this site now for a while as a landlord myself. You can learn more from reading what the other side has got to say than just hearing what you you want to hear (something a few on this site can learn from imho). I guess you have now provoked me enough to log on and contribute so well done because time is money…

Bottom line : you mock about the housing shortage in sarcastic terms but when the govt wants to build 240,000 homes and this year builders will only build a max of 100,000 are you seriously saying that will have no impact on supply/demand ? Let me tell you what happened to a tenant of mine who when I suggested a modest £50 a month rent increase he told me stuff it. Maybe he was taking advice from this site. Anyhow he left and I had new tenants arranged paying £75 a month more within a week. That is reality folks…the rental market is going through the roof becuase the fundamentals point that way. If you want to keep paying my mortgage off when it could be your own then fine. Thanks a lot.

There are some people on this site who IMHO are out and out elitists and have contempt for ordinary people. Look at the scorn you pour on interest only mortgages and NR 100 per cent mortgages. Some of you think mortgages like universities should be left for the middle classes and sod the rest. I have a string of IO mortgages and for good reason. Why should I pay the extra monthly costs of a repayment mortgage when house price inflation will pay it off for me with a retirement pot on top ? I have used the banks money since 2005 in order to make money for myself. None of it was mine – my deposits were from equity withdrawals and remortgaging and I have profited handsomely on the back of banks financing. Packed in work and a great lifestyle. Even studies you cite state that with likely drops even big ones by 2017 prices will be back to those of last year’s peak – I am young enough to wait. That is what being in it for the long term means.

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry when I read some here say ‘just two more years and I can buy a house’. Life is passing you by my friends and I wager some of you lot will be so full of paranoia you won’t have it in you anyway to buy at any time. Always buy and never sell because your investment will go up if you hang in there …

That is free advice.

• george monsoon says:

I am surprised this article has not found its way to the headline on BBC’s webpage.

Give it 24 hours…

I can smell the sh*t from here.

• Even if this were true, why is it “good news”?