Thursday, June 12, 2008

A dead duck…

Brown to defend himself against 42-day deal accusations

''...Gordon Brown will today defend himself over allegations that he offered lucrative deals to Ulster MPs in order to pass his controversial plans to detain terror suspects for up to 42 days. ...''

Posted by hpwatcher @ 09:54 AM (1200 views)

27 thoughts on “A dead duck…

• whiteknight says:

So. Just to clarify.

Iraq War – to avoid being “defeated” MPs are persauded in numbers to vote for military action.

42 day detention – to avoid putting Gordon Brown in an ‘untenable’ position (and to try to save their jobs) MPs vote for the detention.

It went well last time out didn’t it?

Maybe in defeat they would be remembered for having done one thing right.

• Maybe in defeat they would be remembered for having done one thing right.

Self destruction would be the right thing for them to do.

• Self defeat?

Only if it involves public hanging.

• in a years time your local council will be using the law for people who overfill their bin

• ”…Gordon Brown will today defend himself over allegations that he offered lucrative deals to Ulster MPs in order to pass his controversial plans to detain terror suspects for up to 42 days. …”

This should be interesting. Now they can’t possibly be given any money – even if it was promised – since it wouldn’t look good and would be sure to be found out.

This looks like it could go pear-shaped.

• “in a years time your local council will be using the law for people who overfill their bin”

Your local council already has the power to stick its grubby nose into your phone and email records if it thinks fit. Detaining suspected non labour voters without charge (e.g on suspicion of dropping an apple core) is the natural progression.

• And what is a “terror suspect” exactly? Someone who uses “terror”? Someone who plans to use “terror”? Someone who reads about “terror”? Someone who thinks about “terror”? Someone who does not openly criticise “terror”? Or perhaps a “terror suspect” is anyone who criticises those who advocate “anti-terror” laws? Such a grey area.

• harold said: And what is a “terror suspect” exactly

good question. I think it will turn out to be anyone that ‘the powers that be’ do not have full information on – as they will suspect that they may, possibly, be up to mischief – or may be about to expose some secret cover-up that has gone on.

As you say – a very grey area that will surely be abused in years to come.

• mark wadsworth says:

This 42 days is an outrage.

The £200 million bung to the DUP is an outrage.

As to ‘who is a terror suspect?’, it’s basically anybody who they say is a terror suspect.

• Gordon Brown was repeatedly questioned by journalists today in his press conference on the suggestion of a DUP deal – (pity Noel Edmonds wasnt there to ask the killer question) Gordon “deal or no deal” – NO DEAL

Several joiurnalists subsequently discussed the NO DEAL assertion on Radio 5 live and stated that they had been talking to the DUP party members “in private” and they cant therefore discuss the deal that took place !!

Please check your seat on the tube or the train as you could be sitting on a pile of documents telling us what really was agreed (PS it will be marked TOP TOP SECRET)

• I believe the law defines a terrorist along the lines of someone who acts in a group of two or more people to attempt to influence the actions of a government.

• I read a John LeCarre book recently – I think it was `Absolute Friends’

One of the characters defined a terrorist (ironically) as `Someone who has a bomb but no aeroplane’

ps

George Smiley would never have left his notes on the train

Only if they’re bin-laden . . .

• 11. jonb said…

I think what you are defining there jonb, are voters.

• DAVID DAVIS (SHADOW HOME SECRETARY) HAS NOW RESIGNED HIS SEAT OVER THE 42 DAYS FORCING A BYELECTION

• Mark, following the link to you blog i found this statement:

“Now, I despise Islam and terrorism as much as the next man, but it seems that under the old law, she couldn’t have been punished for “assisting with the escape plan”** or even for the fact that she “removed and destroyed evidence”. ”

That will take the heat of this [email protected]@dy awful government. GB must be absolutely delighted.

• theboltonfury says:

hpwatcher

i suspect this is a masterstroke actually. A prominent MP from the party in favour (although not power) resigns, then this forces another By-election which will of course be another complete stuffing for GB, followed by a good week of press ramificating

Did they do a credit check first?

• tactics, Boxer… tactics

• last_days_of_disco says:

@Baroo

Newsflash.

Its ok to despise other people’s ideas. That is the point of debate. As in, “I think your ideas are utter rubbish”, is the same thing as saying, “I despise them”.

The problem with hate speech laws is they are fundamentally anti-democratic and what you may be doing is threatening Mark, by being so “concerned” about his remarks about Islam. And I for one, won’t stand for that insidious suppression of debate that is part and parcel of every oppressive system. This gets to the core of what is happening in this country. The erosion of everything that makes Britain worthwhile.

You say: “While the next man may despise terrorism, I’m pretty concerned about you despising Islam. Please clarify.”

Please spell out your concerns about Mark’s position. You are welcome to say, you disagree with Mark’s position, that is completely ok. But “concern”, that smacks of a implicit threat. As in Mark has to explain himself or else. Or else what? What are you concerned will happen to Mark if he doesn’t have the right attitude towards Islam?

I would like to know.

• @last_days_of_disco

There IS a difference between thinking someones ideas are rubbish and despising them. “Rubbish” is a fairly light dismissal, whereas “despise” implies hatred. Is mark suggesting that he despises (and by inplication hates) all Muslims for the very fact that they are Muslim?

My +concern+ is twofold:

1. Such sweeping, generalised comments only serve to inflame anger.

2. The implied link between Islam and Terrorism paints alot (i.e. the vast majority) of Muslims as Terrorists.

These points are pretty linked. I guess the over-arching “concern” is about identifying Islam +in general+ with Terrorism +in general+.

ps – for such an advocate of “free debate” you seem to have a lot of rules about how this “free debate” should proceed. And please dont put words in my mouth. I made no threats. I invited a response. And as for the “right” attitude, I don’t even understand what this comment is supposed to mean.

pps – I am not a Muslim.

• Sorry I was wrong, my concerns are threefold:

3. The next man in Mark’s statement could include me and I, in my capacity as the next man, do not despise Islam.

As a related aside, despising poeple based on their beliefs has a very bad track record.

• last_days_of_disco

I also had a quick look at MW’s site and I too that it a bit naughty to make the ‘I despise Islam’ statement. Perhaps I have become ‘conditioned’ by our PC government, or perhaps I simply think some Muslims may, rightly or wrongly, be offended.

I suppose if I were e.g. a Christian and somebody said I despise Christians, I too would be concerned and want to know why and what precisely, so can’t see a problem with Baroo asking.

• I have requested a password so that I can post right away in future. My reply to last_days_of_disco was sent hours ago and has still not gone up!

• On the other hand, would I be offended if I were a Christian and somebody said they despised Christianity, or that they despised religion. Hmmm……