Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Inflation buster: the 10 items that have fallen in price most this year

With the cost of bread now above £1 a loaf and petrol at £1.12 a litre, there seems no end to rising living costs. Just this week, the Consumer Prices Index, the Government’s preferred measure of inflation, shot up to 3 per cent. But there is some good news for shoppers. Believe it or not, the price of many goods is actually falling, and by quite large amounts. Below we outline the price of ten items that have fallen the most on average over the past year and give an example of each product.

Posted by tyrellcorporation @ 11:36 AM (1188 views)

21 thoughts on “Unfortunately I haven’t bought any of these items in the last 12 months and have no intention of doing so – I have bought a fair bit of food and fuel though!

• One of the readers comments:
    “I blame Calamaity Brown and his pathetic puppet Dimwit Darling. They just don’t have a clue…”

Nice…..

• Ha! yes, I saw that link too and thought exactly the same.

1. Mobile Phones: down 51%
    My two year-old mobile is still going strong

2. Digital Cameras: down 50%
    My three year-old camera is still going strong

3. Flat screen TVs: down 40%
    I think CRT screens render better movement than flat screens and am quite happy with my ten-year old widescreen

4. Home Cinema: down 36%
    No thanks

5. Apple MP3 Players: down 35%
    Got an MP3 player last year

6. DVD Players*: down 33%
    My 5-year-old DVD player is still OK

7. Fridges: down 30%
    My ten year old fridge is still OK

8. Camcorders: down 21%
    six year-old cancorder still OK

9. Washing machines: down 18%
    ten-year-old washing machine still OK

10. Dishwashers: down 10%
    ten year-old dishwasher still OK

HOWEVER, I did spend around £2,000 on petrol and diesel, and £4,500 at Tesco last year..

• Here’s what I posted as a comment there. It will be interesting to see if the moderator accepts it.

“The 1GB ipod shuffle will contain less silicon this year than the one you would have got last year. Technological advances mean more efficient use of materials, and some of that cost saving is passed on to consumers. That is nothing to do with inflation.

“If you look at the price of silicon wafers, you will see a very different picture – offset by the fact that you can now get more 1GB chips out of each wafer.”

• I bought an iPod nano and a hard disk video camera all recently.

One problem is tech goods is that they become obsolete before the inflation figures are updated. A digital camera model has a maximum “current model” life of a year, over which time it will be discounted heavily and then withdrawn. They are always updated with newer models, so it is not really appropriate to track the same model. The question to ask is what is the price of the most recently released biggest selling item. That will reveal more about general price movements.

• japanese uncle says:

It’s such a good news that I may think about buying five or six washing machines for stock.

• General Melchett says:

Indeed, I dont recall buying any of these items over the last year either, so I wouldnt exactly say their presence in ‘the shopping basket’ is representative of the inflation that I experience.

Whatever irrelevant tat should we nominate to go in the basket that might help ‘keep inflation figures low?’ Bring back VCRs and personal CD or cassette players, I say.

• JU – you’ll be well in profit.

• CPI : Does that stand for : Carefully Planned Index ? Or was it : Conning People Index ? Or :Confusing Peasant Index ? Anyway whichever it is, it’s just more Flimflam.

• I wish salt would go down in price. We spent nearly a fiver a year on it.

• How often does anybody need to buy any of that rubbish they have highlighted as being cheaper?

• Michaeljohnson1 says:

I dont want to sound like a cynic, but do you think that next year, the CPI will include house-prices as one of the items going down. Everything else goes up by rapidly but house prices drop rapidly and somehow, the CPI comes out at about 2%.

• micasasucasa says:

If only my car had a Mr. Fusion – then I could run it on inflation-busting consumer electronics!

• To reduce my rate of inflation I tried buying a flat screen TV last time I went to the supermarket. But it tasted bloody awful so I’ve had to go back to food.

• Who can afford all these things if food and fuel keep going up. It’s now either/or for a lot of people.

• shipbuilder says:

Perhaps Young_Mark can explain why these items, each one bought at the very most every 2-3 years, seemingly outweigh the weekly and monthly food and fuel purchases.

• I’m going to switch from eating organic hand-reared to chickens and biodynamic cabbages to a new diet of mobile phones, cameras and fridges.

Might not do my teeth much good, and who knows I might get coeliac disease, but at least it’ll be cheaper.

• I don’t expect we’ll hear from Young_mark again now his cover has been blown!

• the haunted says:

Wow, what great new, after all I buy these [email protected] things every week…. Lets face it, these and mayny other, luxury items will all be coming down in price because no one will have any money left to buy them after paying for food anf fuel. CLOWNS!

• Rental John says:

During tight economical times there will always be price drops on consumer goods and electricals….so no surprise there, but these are generally one off purchases – white goods and TV’s every 5-10 years? (My last telly lasted 19 years, with only one minor repair!) Home entertainment replaced as the old telly dies….etc…..?

The rate of inflation should reflect day to day essentials – essential foodstuffs, housing costs, utility bills, travel……not the latest mobile phone or MP3 gizmo!

But then we would see the true inflation figure – and Broon wouldn’t like that!

• 9. Letthemfall – LOL

They’ve missed one off the list…

…houses!

• I have just realised the impact of this.

All those folk who overpaid for a property, stretched to the limit, who are desperately trying to meet their oversized mortgage payments in order to hang on to the family home, will all have to start selling what they can to raise money.

Trouble is that the flat screen telly that they bought for £1000, and which they had hoped would fetch half that second hand, is now actually only worth half what they’d hoped on account of the fact that a brand new one can be bought for 500!

They are going to be so fleeced and penniless at the end of all this, I imagine it would be quite distressing. Not a problem for me – I don’t have a house, mortgage or flat screen telly!