Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Exodus, movement of the people..oh yeah

Britain is experiencing its biggest exodus in nearly 50 years

As record numbers of Britons leave the country permanently to live abroad, new research indicates that Gordon Brown might be responsible. A survey, commissioned by removals company Robinsons International, reveals that 15% of emigrants blame the government for driving them away from the UK..What's more, Gordon Brown got the vote in the wrong kind of election when it came to naming British personalities who emigrants will be most pleased to see the back of. While a quarter of respondents were most looking forward to waving goodbye to the Prime Minister, not far behind him was Tony Blair, followed by Victoria Beckham.

Posted by converted lurker @ 11:08 AM (1498 views)

24 thoughts on “Exodus, movement of the people..oh yeah

• Nearly left myself a few years ago.
    By devaluing the pound Gordon Brown has now effectively trapped everyone here.
    Ironically leaving to Europe can be done in a couple of months, leaving to one of the English speaking countries takes a couple of years. (visas etc.)

• Bananasplit says:

Most brits that leave the UK regret moving and realise that other nations also have problems, corrupt politicians and worthless celebrities, the brain dead culture that finances celebrities are all over the world. I rent in the south of england and own a property in spain, I have lived in Singapore, Germany and Spain. We are in the process of moving to Lincoln to buy a large character property with an acre,can’t wait to leave the south of England. I would advise anybody leaving the UK to buy a small property in a nice area so that the option to return is available.
    Before moving abroad check out Lincoln properties on rightmove, a great friendly city and property prices that look like they have already crashed, compared to the rip off south.

• Tried Canada and the US, work mentality seemed to be long hours of bums on seats, less productive, more jockeying for position and personal sacrifice. Depends on the sector you’re in, not forgetting less generous holiday / sick payments. Could buy a farm in Vermont for £100k and make organic baby food.

• last_days_of_disco says:

• uncle chris says:

Must admit, my wife and I are seriously thinking about it once her medical training is finished (if anywhere will have us). This country seems to be entering a downward spiral due to political correctness, the breakdown of morality, lowering education standards, a weak judicial system and the wrong sort of immigration over many decades. We get the impression that highly skilled British emigrees are more highly valued by other countries than their own government. Brown only seems to want immigrants that will keep the average wage down in the UK.

• @ Pendulum

I’ve looked at a few US farm type properties myself (online).
    Very tempting when you consider all the work you do over here for a nice house and car and as you say could get something pretty reasonable over there for less than the price of an average semi here.
    That banjo music puts me off though (Deliverence sound track) !

• @str 2007

Same here – we’re off to Boston for a drive around this year… you can pick up some jaw-dropping farm-type properties as you know (looked at a 5 bed 40 acres @ £175k just 90min out of Boston). The mrs is a nurse so easy(ish) to get work out there (better pay in that sector) while I repair the porch, do man stuff, etc 😉

• cornishman says:

“The young and productive are voting with their feet. Enough of being thieved from, talked down to and downright oppressed by the non-working class.”

The trouble when a bully is in charge [someone who has an over-inflated opinion of their abilities and who trusts no-one] is that they feel that they must micro-manage everything. This leads eventually to prescription of everything that was previously the domain of the professional person; huge amounts of form filling in order that the professional can prove that they are doing what the bully has prescribed; increasing inspection by growing bands of inspectors and improvement advisors/thugs ending in a rout of any professional who has the temerity to have any ideas of their own which may be at variance with the central dictat.

Result is exodus of anyone you might find interesting to know. Leaving behind forelock-tugging, brown nose zombies…

Spiral of decline.

• Britain will soon need a new wave of immigration to fill the void left by the exodus of these brilliant people,

• stillthinking says:

Well, good luck with Canada, they have off the scale waiting times. There is a point that these countries tend to have 10 days holiday whereas we do get a lot of holiday in the UK. So any bank theft hits them harder. On the other hand they have cheap property and having lived abroad myself, I agree with Cornishman, expats from a variety of nations tend to be much better more interesting people to hang around with instead of garden variety British. Also, if you don’t like it, you can come back. I am on the verge myself. There is still money here though if you can find somewhere cheap to live, drink at home, don’t go on holiday to Europe, and avoid transport.(!)

• ” Leaving behind forelock-tugging, brown nose zombies… ”

Good line. In business, a lot of outsourcing I have witnessed leaves behind a largely subservient mass of organ grinders – however the majority of drive, thoroughness and creativity is not maintained. The UK is becoming increasingly sold-out and the populace too soul-destroyed to raise a finger.

• @ Pendulum

My mrs. a nurse aswell, best money is LA I believe but yes better than here all over.

Still a big move to make and despite what people will say unless you live near Disney you’re unlikely to get any visits from relatives or friends.

• It depends what these countries want right now – I seem to remember Oz was crying out for teachers last year and if you’re in the medical profession the US/Canada was quite easy. Having a big lump sum in cash to put down always worth a few points. Estate agents – (sorry, Realtors), …. need not apply 😉

• @str2007

Always true about the friends, worth toying with east coast – Boston/NY always ok for a long weekend, or skiing up north. As mentioned – you soon gravitite to an expat community and the Yanks aren’t so bad.

• My two cents worth: I am one of those who have recently jumped — a British geologist working in DC. I have been working and saving for a house for the past decade and watched a home grow further out of my reach every year. Much as I prefer to live in the country of my birth (i.e., my home), if I am to be priced-out of a roof over my head because of the preferential tax treatment our government give to property speculators then I don’t want to know anymore, so I gave up and left. I am watching events unfold with increasing joy; if it all goes belly-up in the way you all believe then some degree of hope will return to the unhoused of this country — as can I.

• Money Scam says:

Well I’m going to be one of those 4000 in 3 weeks time to be exact, off to sunny Greece where I have relatives and fortunately speak the language. I have lived in a few countries in my time, half of that here in the UK. This country has changed beyond all recognition when I first came here 20 years ago, there is no civility and the breakdown of the family here which is the glue that holds society together is an ominous sign indeed. Couple that with an increasing police state and many other negative factors too numerous to mention, I’m voting with my feet!

• Mattormsby says:

Ya go to uni.. get a good job.. putting you in the top 10% of earners… get to rent a flat above a pet shop…. its a big joke really..

I know 10 people with PhD’s who have dissapeared to USA, Canada, Japan.. and good for them..

• Rentinginthesouth says:

First stage of my NZ application was accepted last night….. still, with the weather like today – it’s a hard prospect!

• gone-to-colombia says:

Well, I’m in Colombia and I’d rather be here than there. Part of my plan is to stay out of the UK and wait for it to settle down. I plan to return and pick up a bargain.
    I sold back in 2006, at the time I wondered if I had done the right thing, now I am sure of it.

What made me move from the UK had nothing to do with what was happening there, I just wanted some adventure.

• @pendulum
    An expensive long weekend with flights at £2-400 return !
    But yes alot closer than LA, I guess a 4-5 hr flight.
    It looks very nice the New England area.

• Ummm… guys & gals, aren’t we forgetting the dire financial state of the US? Rising unemployment, dollar in freefall, oil price through the roof (yes petrol is half the price but you have to drive twice as far to get anywhere). Their roads are terrible to drive on, bridges are collapsing, and recent electricity blackouts exemplify the failure to invest in infrastructure. Not to mention the lack of affordable healthcare. Don’t be fooled by the American Dream – the country has major structural issues.

Australia and New Zealand are a lot more sorted, only the debt bubble to watch out for. Canada is best-placed out of the four, only the five-year waiting list for a visa (as stillthinking pointed out).

Why not move to mainland Europe instead? Visit friends and family on a £30 Ryanair ticket instead of spending £300-500 to America. It really isn’t that hard to learn a new language if you put your mind to it. France and Germany appear to be on a firm economic footing. In the nordic countries, everyone speaks English so that makes it easier initially (although you’d still have to learn the language to get a proper job). I’ll stop there – don’t want this turning into a debate on emigration, there are other online forums for that.

• To anyone thinking of going to the US, we have just left after 11 years, almost all of it in So Cal, a couple of years in MA (beware of the weather in MA). Some thing to keep in mind, if you are a couple you both need to get a visa to be able to work “legally”, no automatic one for the spouse. It takes years to become a permanent resident (3 for us) and then another 5 before you can apply to be a citizen. The economy there is in trouble, wages stagnating, prices rising, house prices falling off a cliff (although that is a good thing). We decided to come back to the eurozone as we feel that our standard of living here right now is better than in the US. Currently living in Marbella, telecommuting. Reality is begining to set in here now, next couple of years should be interesting. Of course we are ‘bitter renters’ so no worries about our equity!

• drewster, as str has said in his first post, currency devaluation has left us stranded here, or if not ‘stranded’ then pushed up the cost of migrating to the Eurozone.

• Nici Wilson says:

Oh well, we are over populated without enough homes to go round – so if people want to jump ship, that’s fine by me!