Monday, April 14, 2008

You have to feel sorry for these people… not a chance!

I bought at the top of the market - and I don't regret it

"So was I mad to buy when prices looked set to tumble? There are times when I lie awake in bed listening to the neighbourhood crackheads baying like animals and I think I've lost my marbles. That's when I resent the £2,500 a month I have to fork out to live across the street from them. But there was one good reason to buy into a housing market at boiling point - to stop renting and start looking out for my own future instead of paying into someone else's pension fund" AHAH AHAHHAHH AHAH AHH HAHHAAH HAHHAHA

Posted by confused76 @ 09:28 AM (2011 views)

34 thoughts on “You have to feel sorry for these people… not a chance!

• “There’s one big difference between our houses. The asking price is £100,000 more than mine went on the market for. It’s gradually crept down since the early, optimistic figure put on it by Foxton’s, but it’s not unreasonable. I’ve checked every similar property in a two-mile radius. All priced the same.”

…..”optimistic figure put on it by Poxtons, but it’s not unreasonable”………..600000GBP for a terrace in Archway, of course that unreasonable, 300000GBP would be unreasonable in Archway. We have been fed the biggest lie of our or any generation….half a million quid is reasonable for a roof and four walls. Good luck to the author, but these ridiculous prices need to come down a long way.

• Mike Livingstone says:

Hang on a second, do I spot something dubious here?

“But after losing out on so many places I was determined to nail my three-bed terraced house in Archway, even though it meant paying half a million pounds – way over my initial budget – plus a chunky backhander to the owner, just to guarantee I’d see the keys.”

Half a million pounds! £500k! – That’ll be the stamp duty threshold between 3% and 4%
    Chunky backhander !!!!!!! Hmmmm, 1% of £500k is £5k, plus the 4% on the back hander.

I wonder if the Tax man would be interested?

• ”…instead of paying into someone else’s pension fund…”

By buying at the top of the market, that’s exactly what she has been doing….only by borrowing – and paying interest – and doing in a lump sum.

Another 6 months and she will be very, very, very angry……

• Who on earth is paying her enough to be able to fork out £2,500 a month on a mortgage?

• yorkshireman says:

“I knew a crash was probable, imminent even, having spent three years scrabbling to buy as prices sky-rocketed” Not true Miss.

You never believed the crash would happen and cannot accept it now that it is underway.

• “Who on earth is paying her enough to be able to fork out £2,500 a month on a mortgage?”
    Especially when she is obviously a complete idiot.

What exactly is the point of this woman’s article?

• mark wadsworth says:

Larf? I can hardly breathe any more *gasp*wheeze*splutter…

• It’s not just the mortgage, on my figures she must have got £150-200k from the bank of mum&dad, so they are the ones to take the loss, not her.

Lying cow.

• Yes of course she knew a crash was probable and that’s why she bought didn’t she?

Still she can always sue someone (probably her financial adviser) can’t she? Hope she can get Legal Aid before its abolished altogether, as she’ll need very deep pockets…

• Its a deal
    Its a steal
    Its sale of the f***ing century!

Can anyone smell her desperation, or is it just me?

• Archway… oh dear. Whilst I can understand the pressures to get on with your life, it’s a terrible decision to live somewhere unpleasant just for aspirational ownership reasons. She even admits she doesn’t like it talking about “the neighbouring crackheads” baying at night. £500k would get you a very nice 2 bed in prime Z2, or probably more than that in a similar area further out. Seriously have some dignity… appalling decision making. (I know Archway very well for the record, minging place)

• ”…instead of paying into someone else’s pension fund…”

she s listened to the estate agent and mortgage lender mantra, and she has made (err the bank has made) a nice lump sum payment into the someone else’s fund who will be grateful forever. she is stuck into debt for the rest of her life. AHHH HAHAH AHHAH
    poor stupid financially illitterate journalist!

• She’s comparing the price she actually paid with ASKING prices on properties for which there are no buyers.

• > for a terrace in Archway,

“There are worse places to live, but not this side of Basra”

• 600k for a 3 bed?
    in Archway?

you get a nice two bedroom flat in Chelsea for that sum nowadays
    is she mad?

• I’ve just read a survey that says in my lifetime we’ve become twice as rich but happiness levels remain the same. Buying a house when I did might not make me wealthy, but I’m happier with my lot – because a home is much more than an investment. At least that’s what I tell myself as the red lines plummet ever down.

Generally it is a myth that we are all better off. We have more debt and that to me equates to being chained and locked into the system.The best advice we gave our son was to sell his house clear his debt and wait for the mayhem and that is precisely what he is in the process of doing. By the way we live in Oz, most people think we are immune to the global chaos about to occur-not so

• “I want to be sunbathing in a foreign country”

Er not likely with your investment timing.

What a silly woman.

• it_is_going_with_a_bang says:

I just don’t subscribe to the point of view that you take on huge debt and risk just because someone is telling you the “don’t pay someone else mortgage / pension etc.”
    It’s a sales pitch that had some basis when prices were reasonably low, but given today’s inflated prices and the inevitable price drops for the future – complete madness.

£2,500 k a month surely that’s not a repayment figure? Sounds like interest only? In which case she is just renting – from the bank.

• theboltonfury says:

I have only just heard what Allslop had to say for her self on Radio 5. She makes me angrier than anyone I’ve ever heard before. What’s more ridiculous is some people like the above, actually listen to her

• “There are times when I lie awake in bed listening to the neighbourhood crackheads baying like animals and I think I’ve lost my marbles.”

Be afraid love, be afraid. I didn’t realize she had actually said that. Oh dear.

“So it’s worrying that they’re on their third estate agent and buyers don’t seem to be breaking down the door.”

Be very afraid, love.

• “Buying a house when I did might not make me wealthy, but I’m happier with my lot – because a home is much more than an investment.”

This woman is totally deluded! She’s right that a home is (should be) much more than an investment; it’s a place that you feel secure in and in a neighbourhood where you want to put down roots and make friends. She’s educated and has middle class aspirations, therefore lying “awake in bed listening to the neighbourhood crackheads baying like animals” isn’t her bag.

Further to the shirt that she’s about to lose, she should be sacked from her job too for loss of credibility as a columnist.

• She also wrote this article “A housing slump would do us all a lot of good”

Not her though!

“It’s a long shot, but maybe a slump will be good for London. People staying put means they’ll lay down roots. Communities – like mine – may flourish. And what’s wrong with being content with where you live? The obsession with moving up a level, property wise, just leads to affluenza – a corrosive dissatisfaction with where you’re at.”

• The poor woman needs help.

She recently wrote an article defending Heather Mills.

• I think this article is her attempt for reassurance that all will be OK. A problem shared is a problem halved theory, It’s certainly a cry for help…poor soul…….£2500/month in mortgage bills…oh lordy!

• The Germans have the right attitude, houseprice inflation is bad for the country and bad for the economy, but the germans do have fantastic products to sell all we have are old houses and crap houses.

• she’s in complete denial.

• This article takes ones breath away more than any I’ve read on this site; it’s most certainly one where confused76’s laughter is most appropriate. Do you need a degree to become a journalist? Not, presumably, a numerate one. One marvels at the irrationality of her decision, but at the same time there is something distressing about it.

• But doesn’t irrationality underpin our whole economy and way of life?

• General Melchett says:

There’s one born every minute…..

• Let’s see if they let my comment through… I’ll post here too:

“””
    There is a way to turn the tables on your banking masters – albeit not legitimate – consider running a crack house. That may cover the mortgage, and provide you with enough extra income to both buy up the entire neighbourhood as prices come down and to line the pockets of politicians & police chiefs to ensure your neighbourhood gets cleaned up after you are done.

I wish I’d thought of buying in Archway before, with this business model current prices are actually a bargain – how much do you want?!
    “””

• ‘….half a million pounds – way over my initial budget – plus a chunky backhander to the owner, just to guarantee I’d see the keys.’

She even paid a backhander to the owner!! And just how greedy have people become? Wasn’t £500k enough money for this seller in that an additional ‘bung’ was required to secure a ‘home’ in crack alley?

And she paid the man!! Honestly, this girls deserves everything she gets……….

• Oh dear, it seems they have removed the comments from this article altogether now!

• the comments are back.

• Can’t be real. Nobody’s that stupid [????] Must be a wind-up.