Friday, April 18, 2008

Capitulation

Londoners lower prices in bid to sell homes

Miles Shipside, the commercial director of Rightmove, said: "It is highly unusual to see a fall in April. Spring is traditionally the peak season for new sellers to launch their properties on to the market at more optimistic prices, as gardens are looking their best and time is on a seller's side.

Posted by quiet guy @ 07:27 PM (1216 views)

15 thoughts on “Capitulation

• last_days_of_disco says:

Shipside added: “The darling locations of the City bonus boom will never be ugly ducklings, but some of the shine has come off the top end of the market. A readjustment is to be expected after two boom years, so there is no need to panic.”

“In fact, the external influence of the credit crunch could be seen as a welcome catalyst to making sure the boom didn’t get even more out of hand. A recovery of the market is therefore likely once the effects of the credit crunch work their way through the system.”

I can imagine a local estate agent reading these words over and over, “No need to panic, no need panic, no need to panic, mwaaaaaa, I am losing it… panicking… help we’re doomed!”. Runs from empty estate agent office screaming, much to the bemusement of passing pedestrians.

As confused76 would say, “MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!”.

I am loving this. All those years of estate agents giving me that look and saying, “Well if you could just stretch to 50k more than you are able to afford we may be able to put you and your children in a shoe-box.”

I can’t get enough of their pinched looking faces in the local estate agents after all the years of watching them frolick with pretty estate agentesses (or whatever the feminine fo the species is) while I grafted my guts out doing a real job with real skills which took me years and years and years to acquire.

Schadenfreude, woohoo, what a wonderful thing! Should I feel bad about feeling like this? Probably, but they certainly felt *nothing* for me. So I am going to allow myself a little joy on this one.

• Mark Wadsworth says:

Since the survey was launched six years ago, a fall in asking prices has only happened once before in April – in 1985

Don’t these people have proof readers any more? What sort of gibberish is that. I take it they mean ‘April 2005’?

• There is a catalyst alright and it is welcome. The ‘Boom’ definitely won’t get even more out of hand (note:”even more”)

• ldod – I feel your happiness.

• Things must be bad. This article is little more than a VI press release (PR) from Rightmove which is nothing new, as the majority of articles in the press regarding property are VI PR. What’s notable about this bit of PR is that the VI is implying that Londoners need to drop prices to sell.
    I haven’t bothered looking at Rightmoves share prices but my guess is that it has probably tanked of late.

• I want to see a lot more of this.

• it_is_going_with_a_bang says:

Would this be the vary same Miles Shipside who is quoted on the front page of this website as saying

‘a “period of stagnation” for prices in 2008, with most sellers still able to decide whether or not to drop their asking price.’

Unless the Rightmove share price is nowhere near its 52 week high of 630p – today at 443p. I guess its suddenly twigged that suggesting property doesnt need to sell is not really the best quote someone invloved in selling property can make. What a complete Bafoon.

0% House Price movement prediction in Dec 2007. But plenty of downward movement in his company’s share price.

• “the peak season for new sellers to launch their properties on to the market at more optimistic prices, as gardens are looking their best and time is on a seller’s side”.

what a load of [email protected]!

does this shipside pal really believe for just a second the [email protected] he says?

MWAH HAH AHAHH AU UAUAUAHHAH HAHA HHA AHHAHAH HAH

• “The darling locations of the City bonus boom will never be ugly ducklings”

what bonus??? is this guy on drugs or what?

MAUU UAHAHHAHA AHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA

• Unfortunately this group of leeches will find another scam to sell to the gullable and needy – what will it be … land on the Moon and Mars….. what a great long term investment|!

• It’s a silly place, London, you are all welcome to it.

• Just staying up to watch newsnight – great stuff on RBS etc…

Agree whole heartedly with last_days_of_disco……the less we see of so called estate agents offices filled with flash ‘Dell-boy’ lookalike gell haired [email protected] the better…..and let real people with real jobs get on with their real lives………unless of course the whole sceptic mess crashs, in which case we are all doomed!

Must get back to newsnight….

• Thank you confused – that’s much better

”MWAH HAH AHAHH AU UAUAUAHHAH HAHA HHA AHHAHAH HAH”

or did their used to be UU after the MW. And I think this in the middle ” AU UAUAUAHHAH” definatley adds something.

”MWUU UAHAHHAHA AHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA”

I don’t know – it certainly needed something up at the front.

Quite technical this when you start to analyse it.

I must me bored – Good Night.

• Pooingmyself says:

It was on the radio, smart folk are buying farm land because food prices are rising. Gone from 3k an acre to 8k in some places. Better buy some quick. I thought I saw Krusty in a field

• It’s a silly place, London, you are all welcome to it.

Chris, Chris, he who is tired of London is tired of life!

And the filth, the traffic pollution, MP’s in their troughs, the high rents and rates, the high prices for basic amenities, the long commute on sardine filled ‘trains’ (if they can be called that)….