Friday, March 7, 2008

Zoopla your neighbours….

What next door's house is really worth

A new website gives the value of every home in the UK - whether it's for sale or not. Judith Woods fears it will bring out the worst in us. Depending on who you ask, we either live in an empowering age of information, or a paradise for nosy parkers. Never before has so much of our personal information been freely available - for good or ill. If the Inland Revenue isn't magnanimously sharing our bank account details with identity fraudsters, then we're Googling old flames or poring competitively over our friends' Facebook profiles. We're a veritable army of internet curtain-twitchers.

Posted by lvmreader @ 03:11 AM (10959 views)

20 thoughts on “Zoopla your neighbours….

• Neat idea – but it will tap into one of our worst instincts, I fear – jealousy.

However, if they amend house details/values according to what people tell them about their own houses, it will soon become worthless due to exaggeration IMO.

• Well, I’ve done a query for houses in our street up for sale and what some are currently selling at, the estimate that this site gives is more than £30k under what the houses are currently marketing at. Seems the database is way out of date. Can’t see any use for this at all.

• So in my block of 16 flats their currently estimated prive goes from £163,000 to £187,000. They’re all the same.

• george monsoon says:

I just did a search on my rented house, which was valued three months ago by the landlady at 149k

the site estimated it at 153 – 178k… !!!

bob on then!!!

• it_is_going_with_a_bang says:

An easy way to check how much someone paid for something, but only estimated prices so as with all estimates fairly useless.

• I typed in my own address which the search engine was unable to find. Not much use then is it?

• Unable to find my own address, not much use then is it?

• I checked for one block of flats. For the ones that have recently sold, it gives a value of around £75k which is the land-registry price they actually sold for. For the ones currently on the market, it is showing them at around 90% of the asking price of £115k.

• C'mon Correction says:

Hmm, not sure about the accuracy of the estimates. My house I’m renting was valued at £356k, I’d put it at more like £230k. Either way you look at it, I won’t pay £230k for it, especially when my rent is only £625 pcm ! Really don’t understand why FTB’s etc are even thinking about buying, it’s much more expensive than renting – so you would save much more and earn compounding interest by renting – and also home-owners are seeing prices fall and the risk that’ll continue is at a decade high.

• Jemima Puddleduck says:

Quite the most useless website I’ve seen – I sold my house in 2004 to str for £239k – according to this website it’s now worth £281K. However, there are at least 4 identical houses in the close on from £245k to £265k – they’ve been on for months – and not one of them has had even gone sstc during that time!!

• Just run a check on several postcoded areas and the data looks way out

• montesquieu says:

Data is way out, tried some large houses round here that haven’t been selling (I know because I’ve been looking), rural west country postcodes, site gives way above the asking price for some of these that haven’t had a viewer in months. Place I’m in has been put on market by my landlord at £495k for eight months, he offered it to me recently for £400k, this web site put its value at £537,000. What’s that, 30% overvalued?

This is based on the same extrapolated percentages that greedy estate agents and lazy surveyors have been using for the past 5 years, it seems to me to be complete nonsense (indeed, if not a VI stunt).

• Doesn’t even have the road in which I live so can’t have every address.

• So what’s new, there are a few of these sites that have been around for years.

• (indeed, if not a VI stunt)[email protected]

…..exactly what I thought when visiting this site. The prices quoted were either out of date or well above real worth – total VI BULL

• absolutely useless – did my current address 199K which is way wa over thw top and shud b 160k ish. To check I then did last address which sold stc in december at with known asking price of 179K and got the result it’s worth 199K also!! total crap as prices have dropped 3.7% in this area since then. got to love this sites timing though – not particularly gud is it!

• Found my address which was purchased back in July 07 Correct price paid, then shows again as £43,000 less in January 08? I hope not as the developers are still selling and somewhere near original price, but throwing in extra upgrades etc.

• this zoopla.co.uk site is totally useless, they under valued my property over 80k and gave me an extra bedroom and an extra bathroom

• Hmm…valued neighbour’s house as much more than ours yet our is much bigger and they have the info on size.
    Then five doors down same thing… plus our house dropped by 15K in the last two days…!

• Who gives away the info in the first place. Even still had aerial photos front side and back views.
    Oh! my house has no bedrooms. The price shown is the final amount paid not what it had been offered for sale for by the Estate Agent. Who told them what I PAID ???????