Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Monocle Grease And Penny Farthing Oil Removed From Inflation Basket

MONOCLE GREASE AND PENNY FARTHING OIL REMOVED FROM INFLATION BASKET

A RANGE of typical household goods including monocle grease and penny farthing oil have been removed form the basket of items used to measure inflation. The new basket will include a range of modern, everyday purchases including spats, violin cases and sheet music for Dixieland jazz. Officials say they want to bring the consumer price index up to date without going so far as to include things that people actually buy. A Treasury spokesman said: "There are two kinds of inflation. There's the inflation we talk about on the news, which generally hovers around the 2% mark.

Posted by doomwatch @ 12:43 PM (967 views)

7 thoughts on “Monocle Grease And Penny Farthing Oil Removed From Inflation Basket

• planning4acrash says:

I do hope these guys get a national publication soon. Brilliant stuff!!

• Should be on the Front Page of The Times.

• Rental John says:

I read somewhere that new items in the basket were muffins and memory sticks! I’ve never bought a muffin (read cake) – as I can’t afford costa-alot-coffee shops, though I did buy a memory stiff – just the one which will last me quite awhile I’m sure.

I hope that more sensible items are actually in the basket that the CPI is based on…..but guess I’ll be disappointed.

• someone needs to send a link to the telegraph to show that what realistic journalism is all about 😉

• crash bandicoot says:

Inbreda, I think that there is quite a lot of realistic journalism in the telegraph (online at least). It is in the comments section under the rubbish that the journalists write.

• Daily Mash ironically is now the only news outlet reporting the truth.

• Brilliant. I really like one of the other articles:
    “HEDGE FUNDS NOW MOST IMPORTANT THING PEOPLE KNOW NOTHING ABOUT”