Monday, March 31, 2008

Job losses in ‘The City’

CBI warns 11,000 City jobs axed by June

You've read this on the BBC, but some of the comments added to this article are priceless.

Posted by fed up @ 06:17 PM (476 views)

12 thoughts on “Job losses in ‘The City’

• Landedgentry says:

I love HPC.co.uk so much !!!!

I worked in the city and it is full of the most vile, repulsive characters you would hope never to encounter. Hope all the jobs go to India and China and I hope they all suffer horrendously.

Bless the creators of this wonderful site for making me sooooo happy every day !!

• fed up

This little Gem of a Comment just has to be printed :

“It says it all, “the banks don’t trust each other”, and the public don’t trust the banks.

It’s high time these untrustworthy people are finally sorted out. To be honest I would rather place my trust in a down to earth steelworker than an overpaid twit who cannot produce anything but numbers based on hot air.

I have worked for the banks and was always amazed at the number of employees doing seemingly nothing except justifying the employment of managers upon managers. 11,000 is not enough, get rid of twice that tomorrow.

This is the year 2008, and they still can’t clear a financial transaction inside of three days, no improvement since the year 1800, and to boot charge exorbitant amounts for doing so.”

The first sentence alone is very Profound.

• The number is going up – yesterday they said 10,000.

To tell the truth, I am counted amongst these newly liberated city workers – yes, today was my last day at work. I was never a tycoon highly-paid type, more of a city grunt. However, I secured a massive redundancy payout after my short spell there so I don’t have to work for the rest of the year and some time after.

Je regrette rien. The summer looks long, hot and lazy now.

• Whoops ! My apologies. I meant to put ‘except paul’ somewhere in that quote.

Have a nice break and maybe pop over to Spain where you can watch the Mother of all HPCs coming up soon.

• shipbuilder says:

Good luck, Paul. Enjoy your time off.

• Paul,

The massive redundancy payout was the purchase cost of your soul.

It will take 3-5 summers to repair.

Your lack of regret is misplaced.

C’est la vie

• Paul, more time for erudite blogging.

• Well thanks for the words of support everyone.

I’m not usually idle for long though – I have quite a few personal projects on the go, a couple of which might mutate into fully fledged businesses – and that would ruin my lazy summer plans.

I’m with Landedgentry on this though – most of the people I see working in the city are odious, repulsive types – they are quite happy to step on people’s faces to jump for the greasy pole, and have few morals. We should always remember that before we contemplate feeling sorry for them.

• For probably the first time I can ever remember the lock-in conversation at my local on Friday touched on the banks. The conclusion was that the banks have now taken the place in society of dodgy car dealers and double glazing salesmen. It seems as though the Banks self regulation is failing miserably and they really need to get their act together and think a little more long term.

All the best Paul! Move to the West Country, there’s plenty of retired city types looking for “a life in the country” and I can tell you they will buy anything. If you started a little cottage industry making Chicken and Bacon soap (yes that was soap, not soup) those numpties will lap it up, no pun intended. The latest fad appears to be baby yoga.

• Paul, I would suggest watching the HPC in Spain from the comfort of Blighty, since you want your hard earned to last more than a couple of weeks surely, which it won’t when you change it to Euros and enjoy the 3.5% inflation currently in Club med.

• Landedgentry says:

Paul, Best of luck. Hope you find something that you love doing and you’d do it even if you were not paid to (But you get paid loads for it anyway LOL)

• Just along the coast from me is Seaview a nice little village overlooking the Solent. When I went to school – kids actually lived there. Now about 76% (Official Council statistic so I am told), of houses there are owned by financial people from the city, who have bought local property with fat cat bonuses. The result has been closure of local shops, house prices into the stratosphere, and the whole place teems with objectionable hooray henries with BMW’s, Audi’s and their objectionable offspring, various assorted boats and yachts, generally all acting like complete twonkers. Thats when the weather is nice. In the winter it is a ghost town. no locals can afford to live there any more. If the City all goes bump and this shower all have to sell up – well woopy do !!