Thursday, March 20, 2008

Here’s a new fun site.

The Second Great Depression

Doom and gloom tv :-) Competition or kindred spirits? Maybe we should join forces?

Posted by hardlanding @ 01:01 PM (1912 views)

20 thoughts on “Here’s a new fun site.

• happyrenterz says:

Phew this video on the site is very grim stuff. No smiley from me. But I fear this is what a hpc is going to mean for a lot of people, including my friends who bought houses recently.

Second Great Depression: Tent Cities Spring Up Outside LA

• Isn’t talk of a Second Depression a bit much?

My brother-in-law is a estate agent in Tallaght (just outside Dublin) in Ireland and he’s still selling 4+ properties a month and managing to survive without worry. Prices have dropped, and sellers don’t get anywhere near asking prices, but houses are still selling. So, their slump is more advanced than ours (12 months or so?) and its not even looking like crashing yet.

This could take a long, long time to unwind… I’m renting but ideally I’d rather have bought a year or two ago (I didn’t as it was obvious to me the market peaking) but sometimes I think it may have been a better idea to max myself a year or two ago when you could get huge mortgages as my worry is that even though prices are coming down, I will never be able to afford the £50,000+ deposit needed to buy a family home.

It could be years and years and years before both house prices and mortgage lending are at a level when FTBs can re-enter the market….

• sold 2 rent 1 says:

The good news is for those of us who “make it” we are headed for global enlightenment in 2012
    The bad news is we have to go through 2 enormous destructve phases to get there. One this summer and one in 2011

• theboltonfury says:

s2r1 – what is your strategy for making it? I assume you are hinting at that many on this website may die due to the global destruction you predict.

I’d love to know how you plan to avoid it? maybe you have a youtube video I can take a look at?

• sold 2 rent 1 says:

theboltonfury,

The Calleman/Lungold model suggests things are getting better in the “fifth night” destruction phases.
    There is a definite shift off destruction from physical to mental.

Previous fifth nights are:

Great Depression and WW2
    Rome falling (end of a civilization)
    Neanderthals going extinct
    Asteroid strike takes out dinosaurs
    Earth freezes over due to ocean thermal currents breakdown wipes out 97pc of all life
    250m years of asteroid bombardment in formation of earth.

I am guessing that this summer we will see a partial destruction of the power elite structures of banking/political/corporate.
    The war is in “information” and not so physical.

The 2011 destruction phase will be economic as well. But the most traumatic part will be the mental side of things.

The hardship maybe extreme but the deathcount maybe low.

• theboltonfury says:

ok – I’ll buy that. Believe me having read this site like a fanatic for a year, I’m mentally prepared and have been saving a healthy amount for ages. There is nothing left to surprise me….. I would prefer not to die in 2011 or 12 though, I’ve got a baby due in the summer and intend to see it go to at least school

I’m all for a bit of religion being exposed as a con. Anyone ever seen all the gold on the Mormon temple in Chorley? What a perfect example of brainwashed masses making their ‘elders’ very rich in the name of religion

• “When religion is finally kicked out as a con (see zeitgeist movie on google video) how will these people deal with their own minds? Suicide maybe?”

Religion will never be kicked out. A huge number of people want to belong to some sort of gang, want to be told/given the thoughts that they should have and like mixing with similar people. Many countries have tried to suppress religion, but it didn’t work. ‘These people’ will seek out other like minded people and form their own gang and will have something that they can all unite behind.

A bit like this site perhaps? !

• sold 2 rent 1 says:

“There is nothing left to surprise me”

I think 2012 will have some very big REALITY surprises.
    If a moment of singularity is reached then any and all aspects of our reality could unravel.
    This includes time travel, aliens, parallel universes etc.

Milestone in hunt for extraterrestrial life

Has Robbie Williams lost the plot, or is he onto something

But we will deal with 2012 when it happens. First lets get this NWO booted out.

• sold 2 rent 1 says:

cornishman,

“people’ will seek out other like minded people and form their own gang and will have something that they can all unite behind.
    A bit like this site perhaps? !”

You are right of course, but this new club will be a “world mind” where we all co-create together,and operate like a single organism called Earth.

• theboltonfury says:

I think 2012 will have some very big REALITY surprises.
    This includes time travel, aliens, parallel universes etc.

Absolutely bring it on. It will be a welcome change from the monotony with the plantlife that proliferates our streets and the cretins that run our country and if I’m honest, I’ve always been quite up for a spot of time travel and a chat with an alien. Provided my family and friends don’t die in 2012 I’d welcome any of these things – I’m not scared

And to answer your question – Robbie Williams has lost the plot

• S2R1 – your mentioning the word ‘singularity’ and the supposed ability of the new Hadron collider in Switzerland to create black holes and singularities is interesting. I don’t imagine that they will do very much when they fire it up for the first time, but who knows where it will lead? A couple of years in and they may go for the big one. Once started, the black hole could suck in more and more of its surroundings…

That could be total [email protected] speculation on my part. I’m no scientist, as is probably obvious!

• theboltonfury says:

From a particle physician – just so we have both sides of the atom smasher

‘ The atom smasher: that is the most paranoid thing of all. Why is it that all of a sudden people cry out loud “oh nooooos, they are building an atom smasher and are creating black holes, we will all blow up”? Particle accelerators have existed a looooooong time, and there are already a lot of them. The _only_ reason why people are crying out loud now is that this new one has simply been on the news, nothing more. This is absolutely not “the first time they fire it up”. And about those black holes and other ‘deadly’ results, that is absolutely BS too. That is just hear-say or whatever made by paranoids who don’t even know the basics of how such partical accelerators work. You don’t create universes and black holes in such machines at all… The worst that can happen is that someone with a pace maker will have a heart attack because he stands too close to a super conductive magnet of the machine, in a manner of speaking.’

• Rentinginthesouth says:

s2r1 – I’ve also read and studied about the mayan calandar etc – and aware of the 2012 theories – lots of them. One interesting comment you made:

“An example is 100m US citizens believe that the end of the world is coming; they will be saved and the rest will burn in hell.

• I’m not sure who you have quoted there Bolton, but I know for a fact that Stephen Hawkins believes black holes can be created!!

• theboltonfury says:

found it on the net. Simply pointing out that for every piece of doom mongering there is an opposing view

What would be interesting is if hawking believes we are all going to get sucked into a man made one

• Was at Uni studying Physics and did indeed love all this stuff then and our head of dept. at that time was one of the pioneers of the superstring theory in the world and a major reason for me going to Newcastle and studying the subject. Anyway slightly digressing there, I would think Hawkins probably doesent believe we will get sucked in to black hole, but you never know!!!

Back to your point that ‘for every piece of doom mongering there is an opposing view’ and vice versa…, not a truer word said on forums today!

• Been reading this site (but not contributing – nothing to add) for years and learnt a LOT, so thanks to the regulars and those who run the site. The change in sentimant over the last 12 months has been astounding. The posts over the last few weeks have been even more so. Good show S2R1! I can see how this stuff looks crazy to someone just breifly looking over it.

Lungolds presentation struck so many chords with me personally but then doubt set in. Could it have been cleverly designed that way? Like a song with words that have no real meaning but everyone can relate to in their own way. What if its just a clever crock? How would I feel if it never happens? What if its ‘real’ and the ‘NWO’ gain control of evolution? What if this blog posters and these ideas are a clever PR trap? and so on. Its easy to see how paranoia can set in!! Ive become very cynical over the last few years. Makeing a judgement on what excactly you trust is the question I think. Looking into this stuff truly put my head in a spin for a week. Scary stuff. But I have a lot more clarity now. Peace of mind maybe.

As for a possibility for 2012. How about an intelligent super computer that for the first time can gain all knowledge in one consciuosness and truly see the bigger picture? The matrix all of a sudden doesnt sound so far fetched!

• sold 2 rent 1 says:

Rentinginthesouth,

“What happens if your prophesies don’t come true like the people you quoted – will you go out of your mind?”

All my research is based on various cycle theories. If Calleman’s theory falls down then it will be back to K-waves and Spengler cycles, which means being cast back to the middle ages and/or the end of civilization.

Just like a stock trader changes his mind when trades go against him, I will just adapt.

• sold 2 rent 1 says:

cornishman,

The angle I have on singularity is slightly different to black holes

2012: Matrix Singularity Seminar Part 1–Accelerating Change

• dohousescrashinthewoods says:

I[‘ve seen a couple of things pointing in the 2012 direction, so interested to see how that pans out. As for the religion thing, I go back to the saying that “if a little knowledge is dangerous, show me the man who has enough to be out of trouble”. Plenty of people are willing to believe religion is obsolete, much like people believed vitamis would be the end of food or that the housing market would only go up. There are a lot of deeper and more subtle truths than we are willing to admit to at the time (me included).

As for the coming years, I’m quite excited. A time of change is harsh, but also a time of opportunity and a chance to be among those that triumph over a passing phase of mundanity. The only ones who need be afraid are those who think it should always be like this and those who can’t or won’t move on. It means a lot of free thinking and changing your outlook, but often, the more painful it feels at the time, the more fondly you look back on living through it. (straw-poll example: think how people remember the second world war)