Sunday, February 24, 2008

remarkably concise precis in song!!

subprime mortgage blues

"This is GREAT! I love it! I laughed so hard because there is so much truth to it all"

Posted by inbreda @ 02:37 PM (1091 views)

9 thoughts on “remarkably concise precis in song!!

• Spiderchannel says:

brilliant, but I wasn’t laughing. I’d describe it more as stomach churningly accurate. Bernanke gets the rap in this song – we have our own home grown buffoons…

• Erm, the song wasn’t actually that good, breda. But nice find anyway.

I think the Kirsty and Phil “Is there going to be a house price crash?” is much better.

• planning4acrash says:

Aweful song. But its astounding how much people understand now, even rubbish musicians seem to get it! Only ignorance lies between an autocratic economy run by bankers and a democratic economy run for all people. That’s the beauty of the internet. We’ve only had it since the mid-1980’s. Information spreads fast now and change, it seems, is on its way!

• larry pickleman says:

we’ve only had the internet since the mid eighties?? Whilst I know the military had the internet back then, we commoners sure didn’t!!…I had a zxspectrum then and I sure as hell can’t remember “we” having the internet!!…think you mean the mid nineties!

• planning4acrash says:

Yea!! That’s actually quite amazing to think that we’ve only had it for around 10yrs, as a central part of life. Its really only just began to evolve. Society will probably take decades to be fully transformed by it.

• @ larry pickleman

The world-wide-web – which is what most people mean by ‘the internet’ was invented at the sub-atomic research institute Cern in Switzerland by a Brit, Tim Berners Lee, in 1990 but didn’t really being to hit mass consciousness till 1994.

But some of us (not necessarily academics – I was a journalist back then) were happily online long before, participating in text-based bulletin boards for all sorts of special interests from the mid-80s, or emailing friends using service providers like Compuserve (which I joined in the UK in 1989). There was Prestel, an online service you could use from your TV (like teletext only with a back-channel provided by your phoneline to accept and respond to user keystrokes). Bank of Scotland’s HOBS – home and office banking – used a prestel-based system to offer online banking on PCs (or in my case, a Mac) from the late 80s (I was a user of that too).

I do actually recall discussing the last house price crash online, the difference this time is mass participation in discussions and far greater access to near real-time information. The impact will be interesting to note.

• The mid 90s was when th’Internet first appeared at universities in the UK.

• I had prestel in the mid 80s and certainly had an email address in the very early 90s. We are in 2008! I had broadband in 2000! That’s 8 years and I had dialup for ages before that.
    Can’t say definite dates but 10 years is totally wrong. closer to 20 than 10.

uk universities have had ARPANET (which is basically the same as our internet today) in 1973!!
    JANET was linking all the universities in the UK in 1984

demon internet was around in 1992, thats 16 years.
    freeserve was in 1998 and thats 10 years

I’m guessing most people started with freeserve (or something similar) so thats where I guess most people first got online from.

• planning4acrash

“Society will probably take decades to be fully transformed by it.”

Au contraire.
    The spoken word revolution played out in 100,000 years
    The written word revolution played out in 5000 years
    The industrial revolution played out in 150+ years
    The internet revolution played out in 15+ years

There will be another revolution just as big to play out in 1.5+ years within the next 5 years.
    Evolution is exponential. Perpare your mind for change.