Thursday, February 14, 2008

Gordon & Co getting battered from all angles

Government like 'demonic beast'

The Bishop of Carlisle has compared Gordon Brown's government with a "demonic beast" from the Bible. The Rt Rev Graham Dow accused the government of behaving like a seven-headed beast in "imposing its morality" on the nation.

Posted by jack c @ 02:08 PM (1054 views)

11 thoughts on “Gordon & Co getting battered from all angles

• waitingfor hpc says:

well they have as much right as the muslims and everybody else. that is if we still have free speech in this country??? but in some aspects he is right what with id cards and the rest , and all the laws they keep passing. i will choose not to hurl abuse at any religion though.

• Is the Bishop of Carlisle moonlighting as an estate agent or am I missing something?

• Inbreda,

The Bishop of Carlisle’s views grated a bit on me too. Perhaps that’s the spin on Christianity that the BBC wishes to cultivate. They only report on “odd-balls”. The work my mates are doing with AIDS orphans will never make a story – if it did, the “Christian bit” would be sliced out.

None of the people I work alongside would describe me as a “sad, deluded, self-righteous, arrogant, holier-than-thou, hypocrite”.

VI spin doesn’t just apply to Estate Agents, the BTL industry, Mortgage Brokers and those seeking to inflate asset bubbles.

• The message here is that property values will go down from their highest point by 666%. Interesting!!!

• This guy is a bishop, speaking as a christian and (as far as he is concerned, I am sure) speaking for christianity and on behalf of christians.

The fact that he is clearly a fruit-loop just makes me wonder how he has managed to make it to Bishop. Perhaps he was promoted out of a job to cover up rumours of alter-boy meddling. Nothing would surprise me as far as any religious person or group are concerned.

• Alan – just one further point for comparison.

Do you think that no atheist has ever done a good deed? Because otherwise I would have to point out that the BBC has never reported on the “good deeds done by any particular group of atheists”. In relative terms, religious groups get given far more kudos than they deserve, on account of the fact that they are a) generally self promoting, b) organise themselves and therefore have collective clout, c) like to think they are better than everyone else and therefore collectively shout about their good deeds.

• Inbreda, I think Atheists, Hindus and lots of other folk do good deeds regularly. I know loads of them.

The Bishop of Carlisle’s comments are clearly unusual, hence they merited the BBC’s attention.

I’ve met a few of the types in (a) and (c), but the majority Christians I know don’t fall into that bracket. Most Christians in the UK (like me) don’t belong to the C of E so I’ll have to duck your question on how he was ever promoted.

• Weather we like it or not western civilization was built on the Christian faith. It is believed by the left that western culture is stopping people from forming their own workers paradise hence the constant attacks on the pillars of western culture. It does appear to be working in the UK, sadly we appear to going the same way as the USSR did, morally, economically & culturally bankrupt.

• don’t sit on the fence inbreda – tell us how you really feel.

• dohousescrashinthewoods says:

Inbreda, could you lay off Christians please? If we’re looking for sad, deluded, self-righteous, arrogant, holier-than-thou and hypocritical, look no further than Richard Dawkins.

As for altar boys, paedophiles come in all walks of life, and odds on you’d find that uncle Sweatty-Palms or the bloke at the chippy are just as much of a menace.

Getting back to our man Dawkins, I don’t think it would be controversial to say that he is given far more kudos than he deserves, on account of the fact that he and his ilk are a) generally self promoting, b) organise themselves and therefore have collective clout, c) like to think they are better than everyone else and therefore collectively shout about their point of view.

I think some people have a distorted view of religious folk, like they are supposed to be perfect, and make them out to be hypocrytes the moment they put a foot wrong, but they are just as human as you or I. Sure, some of them look down on others, but to be honest I’ve had more hurtful vitriolic condescension from Surrey mums in 4×4 tractors, so I don’t think it’s a Christian thing.

And for the record, if I were to frame this government in StarWars-esque good-and-evil terms, I’m with waitingfor hpc – they really are turning to the dark side. That creeping sense of something not right, and before you know it, the Brown Shirts are rounding up “undesirable” religious folk to be taken out and shot “for safety and security”. Ethnic cleansing is a recurring theme in humanity – make sure you’re not in the crowd that demands the killing.

Sorry, off topic, but you got me angry there.

• Inbreda said “Yeah, cos a christian has got every right to lecture someone else on imposing morality on others.”

Actually I think you’ll find that he wasn’t lecturing non-christians, but his talk was to fellow C of E christians.

I tend to agree with Alan that the BBC (as well as others) does tend to put its own spin on comments it doesn’t agree with. Reading between the lines I’m not sure he is quite the fruit cake that the BBC would like to suggest.

Basically the Romans 13 government he spoke about is a government which commands the respect of the community because it is just and fair. Christians are encouraged to submit to the authorities because the government is basically a good one. What this bishop seems to be saying is that the current government seems to bear more resemblance to the unjust dictatorship of Revelations chapter 13.