Friday, January 25, 2008

Must be seen to be busy ?

Must be seen to be busy ?

Allegedly Conxstons minis were spotted out in force this morning driving around North London aimlessly. Also this morning a "Let" sign went up outside a pals flat, and he hasn't even signed a renewal ! When he complained to the posh EA manager she admitted the director wants signs up to show activity. Desperate ?

Posted by doomwatch @ 12:26 PM (933 views)

8 thoughts on “Must be seen to be busy ?

• Anyone else noticed that Foxtons have stopped taking out their two page main advert in the Sunday Times property section. I thnk they have also stopped using the Rightmove.co.uk site to advertise propertys. Significant?

• I suspect there will be a glut of Minis for sale in London very soon…..

• Is it just me or does anyone else enjoy teasing agents these days? I emailed a couple about a two flats I like [at 30-40%] less and asked how “realistic”vendors are to receiving substantially lower offers? 6 months ago would have got 2 word answer now they write long essays telling me market is much better than I say but yes lower offers are welcome “please come and look etc” ……might be fun to share teasing emails to agents and their pathetic “logic” for propping up the ponzi scheme

• @musicben,

I don’t really think it’s fair to bait estate agents. It’s hardly their fault the market roared ahead – they’re just the visible face of a credit bubble. Every business exists to make money and estate agents are no different in that regard. Estate agents don’t actually push prices up as readers of Freakonomics will know. They are paid commission (2-4%): for example on a £200,000 house they make £4,000. If they work hard and manage to flog the same house for £20,000 more then they get an extra £400 in commission. However if instead they sell a second £200,000 house, they get an extra £4,000. Given the choice between pumping up the price on one house or selling two houses cheaply, they much prefer the latter.

Estate agents prosper by pushing up turnover not by pushing up prices.

• theboltonfury says:

drewster

they do tell you your house is worth more than the market just to get it on with them though don’t they? Is this not pushing up the market prices for their own greed?

• drewster – I’d prefer to bet on the Sumo boyz than take on those “Realtors”. What about them cheating teachers how naughty are they! More on topic – I think why people love to bash EAs is because they generally are not very good (because anyone can set up as one they encourage the spivvy types). In the US they are much more value for money and actually know (in most cases ) what they are doing. I have known them convince the proverbial old lady that she was being offered a great price, only for them to be behind the discounted purchase, which they then churn over to someone else. Perhaps though thats keen business practice or its the little old ladies fault!?!

• Or given the choice between pumping up the price on two houses or selling two cheaply, they much prefer the former – possibly.

I don’t know how they act as individuals but I’ll bet that there is a lot of competition between branches for largest monthly, quarterly, annual turnover and having seen some of the dodgy tricks they get up on TV hidden camera shows I get the feeling most EAs treat every individual instruction as an opportunity to try and screw someone somehow.

• it_is_going_with_a_bang says:

I don’t like ‘estate agents’ because whenever I have come across them on a personal basis, they have been outright crooks, especially when dealing with prices and keeping things under the table for themselves or their friends. I don’t blame them at all for the price rise.

That is entirely down to this government. That is where the ‘blame’ is.
    The short term political gain is all they cared about not the social consequences of their actions or inaction.
    They could see prices going higher and higher and all they cared about was telling everyone how clever they were.

The next time there is an election everyone will know what a bunch of self interested liars they are.