Wednesday, January 16, 2008

London is grim, why would any of us want to live there anyway?

Is it any wonder people are fleeing London?

"Last year, nearly a quarter of a million people packed their bags and left the capital for good. This week alone in London, a medical student was stabbed to death in a Brixton fruit shop; a pupil who was expelled for allegedly having a knife took his school to the High Court; and a teenage girl underwent an unimaginable ordeal in an ordinary suburban street. What is going to happen to those of us left to live here if youths across the city continue running amok? London is a welcoming city, where home-grown and particularly international criminal networks are flourishing nicely. Somewhere in the city, a great termite's nest of law-breaking and corruption grows by the day." -- Seems like the flip side of international super-rich is the gangs of international criminals!

Posted by drewster @ 03:29 AM (855 views)

8 thoughts on “London is grim, why would any of us want to live there anyway?

• “London is a welcoming city, where home-grown and particularly international criminal networks are flourishing nicely. Somewhere in the city, a great termite’s nest of law-breaking and corruption grows by the day.” — Seems like the flip side of international super-rich is the gangs of international criminals!”

The termite’s nest is Westminster, interesting to see international criminals instead of international terrorists, which is the real truth. Well done to the political parties, they’ve certainly scored an A+ in social engineering over the last 30 years. Corruption “starts from the top!!!”

• Typical right wing nonsense from the Tory-graph
    These crimes hardly reflect London life but they just highlight the blatant racism of a lot of people. How many times do we see a report about where we names the criminals as white.. I could go on but I won’t.
    Don’t get me wrong, everyone’s entitled to their opinion and I know a lot of you will go on about the PC brigade and free speech etc…

If you don’t like London please leave it, so that house prices can drop and so that us true Londoners can buy houses in areas where we grew up and we want us kids to live

• Interesting!

When I worked in Brixton and Camberwell, it was quite exciting. It was like some kind of Danse Macabre after midnight in Brixton’s Coldharbour Lane. Along with the drunks and drug sellers (the heavy stuff like crack mind), you had the pimps and peole stabbing each other even then. That was a good 10 years ago so it must be worse now.

As I say after 12, the filth seemed to ooze out of the drains… quite poetic really!

Still we have a little way to go yet before people (including a very many selfish London people) understand exactly what holisitic homogeneity across the class and wealth divides is.). Perhaps Kinnock WAS right when he said that you cannot live in gated communities forever.

• Today I have been ringing round estate agents and looking at houses where the asking price is 350,000.
    I have been telling them that I know the area very well, and have a friend who has a similar house. I then tell them I am a cash buyer and will be making an offer for less than the asking price. I then offer 220,000 in cash. They then try to justify the daft price. I say that the current vendor has already probably made loads on the house, they then really start arguing.

So far, I have had the phone put down twice and had one guy shouting at me…….lovely!

Try it sometime, it’s fun!

• stillthinking says:

People are in London for the jobs. That’s all. Not for the schools, transport or general ambience.

• hpwatcher

Keep it up and good luck… I’m doing the same thing

Only a matter of time before they tear your arm off on any offer made to them.

• Not surprising hpw, the market is dead!

Glad I am a litigation lawyer and not in conveyancing!

• I have lived in many large cities across the world – corruption and crime was worse in all those cities than in London. It’s easy to put a place down when you have not lived elsewhere – and if those complaining have lived elsewhere, why haven’t they stayed there??