Sunday, November 18, 2007

A Nice bit of Anecdotal Evidence for a HPC

When estate agents turn desperate

To my mind, the clearest sign yet that things are taking a turn for the worst arrived this morning in the shape of a surprise text to my phone from an estate agent. “Hi. This one is just on the market, 5 bed detached house with 3 receps and en-suite in Langshott. Are you able to view?” I nearly fell off my chair. Contact from an estate agent!

Posted by quiet guy @ 07:01 PM (1120 views)

7 thoughts on “A Nice bit of Anecdotal Evidence for a HPC

• I went into my local branch of countrywide to look for a lettings list from their sister branch (countrywide residential lettings) down the road – which was closed. I went in looking for a place to rent and they tried to sell me a whole effin’ house! Talk about desperate.

• dohousescrashinthewoods says:

Amazing – my wife had the same experience. A text from Resi asking her to view a place.

Not only that, but we’ve been looking to rent and had seen a hugely overpriced house. The agent rang her up and gave her 10 minutes of pressure and an earfull for not taking it.

Firstly, how rude, but secondly, how odd? It rang frighteningly true when I saw that Countrywide are to close branches. Seems things have seized up literally in the last month.

• I’ve been looking in Putney SW London for 18 months, I used to have to chase agents, not any more. Since September 1 I have received over 90 emails, countless text and phone calls. The properties I’m being sent details about are 3/4 bed houses, you remember the kind of properties EAs were telling us were as rare as hen’s teeth and whose market had been closed by HIPS. I’m seeing properties reduced (not by a great deal) after ONE WEEK, I guess they’re not getting many punters. There is a real smell of desperation.

Percy

• offer them 10% of the “market” price. Tell them that’s all you think it’s worth.

• Ok here is some good anecdotal evidence. I work for a company that lists businesses for sale and we have had a big rise in estate agents listing with us. So how much do you think an EA in Clapham with £500k turnover is worth?

• EA with a £500k turnover? – is that one or two houses per year?

• Today or tomorrow?