Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Food costs send UK prices higher

While non-food prices fell 0.7% against a year ago, this was not enough to offset a 2.7% rise in food prices.

Posted by planning4acrash @ 05:56 PM (1149 views)

12 thoughts on “Will this stop the Doves from getting their way tomorrow when the BOE set interest rates for the coming month?

• tyrellcorporation says:

But he added: “We have yet to see the full effects of high interest rates on consumer spending and a rate cut now by the Bank of England would provide some much needed relief to consumers and retailers alike.”

So what you are saying is that the economy is humming along nicely but we’d still like an IR cut to stoke it further. Hey, why not even get another debt-fulled boom going while you’re at it!!!

• They’ll languidly carp on about how they are targeting inflation two years in advance, a few members will vote for rate cuts then they’ll pat themselves on the back then call for refreshments.

After all, the MPC has admitted:

‘We Don’t Understand The Markets’. Well then why do we pay you £140k a year each for 12 days work?

• speculatorone says:

I agree tyrellcorporation isn’t the reason why rates were raised to stop these people spending?

Old Slimy Gordon will be trying his best to fudge things at the moment. I bet if we all knew the truth about what goes on behind closed doors things would be even more depressing.

• “We Don’t Understand The Markets”.

I do (as well as anybody can).

will anybody pay me GBP 140,000 for 12 days work?

• I don’t believe their credibility could survive a mistake such as the cut of 2005 again. Inaction will be the order of the day, especially with the level of inflation on the horizon.

• dohousescrashinthewoods says:

Shipbuilder, agreed. Cross the legs and hope or the best.

• tyrellcorporation says:

Hey Shippy I agree too but I would never bet against the ability of Gordon to move the goal posts for his own benefit. Like a nice drug fix, politicians just can’t kick the boom habit.

• Is there an election on the Horizon?

If there is an election coming, what would make people “feel good” ?

The end justifies the means, doesn’t it ?

• Junk Manufactured food may have only increased by 2.7%. But fresh healthy wholesome food has skyrocketed by at leat 15% in the shops near me.

And after all, who wants to eat Cadburies Chocolate now. People interviewed on the tv news blame the Company for closure and transfer to Poland. But my guess is that the directors after being taken to court and hassled to death said f**k this for a game of soldiers we do not have to put up with the burocrats of this country. Lets stop playing cricket. (I am screen dyslexic)

• I’m waiting for food to be removed from the ONS shopping basket.

• voiceofreason says:

I bought a thermo-mug yesterday for 99p.
    I filled it with a Latte (milky coffee to you and me) in our works canteen today for 90p.
    Agreed. Maybe they should put the basket in the CPI and remove the food that it holds 🙂

• They have already talked about starting to include housing costs in the CPI….One can’t help but wonder why?