Thursday, October 4, 2007

Tesco Property Market suspended due to VI pressure

Tesco Property Market

"Dear User

I am writing to let you know that unfortunately Tesco Property Market is suspending its private seller service.

Tesco Property Market has been enormously popular, offering value and choice to our customers, however, the high profile launch of our service raised questions about the status of on-line private sale businesses under the 1979 Estate Agency Act, which was implemented well before the emergence of the internet."

Posted by paul @ 05:39 PM (3635 views)

11 thoughts on “Tesco Property Market suspended due to VI pressure

• Dear User

Having consulted the Office of Fair Trading on the restrictions of the act we now understand that Tesco Property Market is considered an Estate Agent under the regulations. We are now reviewing our business with a view to launching a new and exciting on-line estate agency service. As we can’t be both an on-line estate agent and a private seller site, we reluctantly have to suspend the private seller service launched earlier in the year.

Becoming an Estate Agent will enable us to offer our customers personal advice on the sale of their home and give them access to the leading property portal websites, which accept listings from estate agents but not from private sellers.

The online communication tool is no longer available. If you would like to continue to negotiate with one of our sellers, please email [email protected] the following message:

I wish to continue to negotiate with the owner of one of the properties advertised and give Tesco Property Market my consent to pass on my email address to them. The Property I am interested in is: [please insert as much information about the property as you can]
    Property ID
    Address
    Postcode
    Asking Price
    No. of bedrooms

Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience this will cause.

If you have any further questions please call us on 0845 603 8162 (9am to 5pm Monday to Friday) or email us on [email protected].

Yours sincerely,

Mark Davis
    Managing Director

• dohousescrashinthewoods says:

VI gits.

• dohousescrashinthewoods says:

(not that I am fond of Tesco mind)

• The ‘what can I afford page makes’ interesting reading

The ‘income minus deductions’ is in £ p.a. while the mortgage example cost is monthly, disguising the fact that the ‘working couple with children’ illustrated can’t afford a studio flat in Merthyr

• Ref – Their example shows that the working couple with children can’t survive basically

As a working man with 3 young daughters to feed,no house, and no debt (on principle), tell me about it!!

I have no idea how families are surviving without incurring debts they will never repay.

My wife and I have decided that we would rather live in poverty than allow the State to ‘care’ for our children before at least school age, and so that is what we must do.

This, of course, is a virtual crime under this Government, who seem to think that mothers should be separated from their children almost at birth.

It is a price that we will pay, but God help the future of this Country.

• Are we now going to see Tesco return as the first £200 estate agent? That will really upset the estate agents!

• I’ve got a feeling if this was down to VIs (and I think it was them who protested under the archaic law), Tesco will come back and bite the greedy gap-toothed shiny suited EAs in the arse.

Well, every little helps.

• I’m with Paul ….. I think Tesco will be pretty annoyed by the EA tactics and will re-group to launch a full estate agency business. Let’s face it, it isn’t really the hardest job in the world, and I’m sure they could train a few check-out staff in an afternoon. Probably still be able to offer services for a fraction of the price. How long before we see EAs collecting trollies.

• The only thing I know about Tesco is its on of the most agressive companies in the world. If I were an EA I would have simply accepted the current service Tesco were offering and bitten the bullet. Now they have opened a can of worms and don’t expect Tesco to stop now when legally its business is an EA, it will hunt these creatures down like it has done to other competition in a far more competative market!!!

• crash bandicoot says:

Robh,
    Thank god BTL “investors” are subsidising working families rent. I don’t know where we would be without them 😉

• Tesco will be back with this, especially after the email they sent out regarding the changes they are implementing due to wanting to help more people in the future.
    Some of the items on their site conflicted with wat was aloud as a private seller, so they have to change that and will be back as soon as you know it, with their low price to allow people to afford the buying of a house without giving EAs a couple of grand to sit on their ass