Friday, August 3, 2007

BRITAIN FACES FRESH ASYLUM CRISIS FROM 'THE NEW SANGATTE'

Police believe that tighter security around Calais – the traditional magnet for migrants seeking to sneak across the Channel – has led people-smugglers to look for new routes to Britain. Before it was shut in 2002, some 67,000 migrants passed through the Red Cross camp at Sangatte. Now French immigration minister Brice Hortefeux has estimated there are up to 400,000 illegal migrants in France – many hoping to get to Britain. “Immigrants are rushing into Cherbourg,” a police spokesman there said yesterday. “It could well become the new Sangatte. We are making every effort to improve the situation but arrests are made almost every day.”

Posted by chris :-)) @ 12:22 PM (411 views)

31 thoughts on “Now French immigration minister Brice Hortefeux has estimated there are up to 400,000 illegal migrants in France – many hoping to get to Britain.

• This country has been taken over.

Another interesting article today is the 2 nigerian fraudsters who have claimed over £1million in benefits for 14 years with 23 false identitys.

Why do we bother??

We need to scrap the benefits system as just a magnet for the work shy, immigrations and fraudsters…

Im tired of paying for these people.

• Another foreign force that has easily invaded France. Regarding the UK, Enoch Powel was right. How will it all end?

• tyrellcorporation says:

Slowly but surely the EU and Labour cronies are turning the UK into a Mad Max style Babylon 5. I’m so glad I have my escape ticket to NZ!

• Fedupwithhouseprices says:

“Most are boys and men aged 16 – 25yrs” – so potential terrorists then.
    “Those who are captured are then released” – why?

• They’ll all get jobs as city traders and send house prices rocketing again!

• Typical Express xenophobic hysteria.

• waitingfor hpc says:

well might as be the dumping ground for europe!!!!
    no money – loads of debts
    lack of health care
    no housing
    crap education system

why are they coming here? i would stay in France!

• chris – do you mind not posting such long black/bold titles – it makes the news blog difficult to scan – for me anyway! Cheers.

• Freewheelin' Franklin says:

Hmmm

I’m waiting for the day when the Express runs a story about how if we didn’t have foreigners doing the jobs we couldn’t otherwise fill we’d all be moaning about not being able to find surgeons / plumbers / bus drivers / fruit pickers.

I’m resigned to waiting a very long time.

• uncle chris says:

Great … knowing Government inaction over the issue of mass immigration, it looks like there will be an even more explosive ethnic mix being shoved into the powderkeg over the next couple of years. I tell you what, I think we will give it 2 more years to see if prices come down and the government starts reversing it’s lax immigration policies, after which we will seriously consider a move to Australia or even New England, which more reflects the British I want to live in that we are slowly losing to unchecked immigration and social dilution.

• What rubbish Uncle Chris. The immigration laws in this country are some of the toughest around and as for social dilution, more invented nonsense. Last time I looked at the consensus we are over 90% white British in this country. I don’t understand your comment about wanting to become an immigrant in another country that would reflect the Britain you want to live in unless you are making a statement about skin colour? Strange!

• speculatorone says:

waitingfor hpc said “why are they coming here? i would stay in France!”

spot on, if I had the chance I would go to France, at least they don’t put up with the crap we do! I don’t blame them for letting everyone through, they know are wishy washy government wont do a thing about.

• @uncle chris

What exactly is “social dilution”?

• I would imagine it means not being allowed to celebrate Christmas.

• why don’t my comments ever show up on these news blogs??

• uncle chris says:

Perhaps I should have been more specific, but I was referring to the dilution (the process of making weaker or less concentrated) of the traditional British society and culture that I was born into and brought up with. If you are in any doubt that this has happened in recent years, just wander into a local supermarket and see how much space has been taken over by Polish food brands; or any local high street and listen to how many random languages you can hear. In my opinion (and that of the vast majority of people I talk to) the massive levels of immigration over the past 30 years are reaching now dangerous proportions.

• Look at all the recent gang killings, very nasty murders and violence in London and the large cities. There seems to be a continuous daily reporting of unpleasant violence which seems to be getting worse. The worrying thing is it seems to be reported as just another killing nowdays. Things are seriously going down hill in our society immigration related or not.

• I can’t see any problem. They all contributeto the birth rate we didn’t have because of high property prices and economic instability!

Any one seen Cathy Come Home yet?

• Hard Cheese says:

I’ve just come back from France, keeping asking myself why do I keep coming back to Blighty.

• @uncle chris

How will this danger manifest itself?

@sovietuk

The sentiment you express, that things are getting worse, has been expressed by pretty much every generation that bothered putting pen to paper. It’s even expressed in Hagakure, the book of the samurai. I don’t remember ever reading that the people of a particular age were better behaved than the generations before. I’m not saying you’re wrong, just that you’re repeating the same tired line, and I’d be very surprised if people have been getting steadily worse since the fall of the Roman Empire. I think it’s likely that our species has some degree of built-in rose-tinted hindsight.

• Stoatgobbler says:

I’m with you Rich, and not at all astonished to find this type of rubbish in the Daily Express.

@sovietuk, I have to ask why you are in the UK at all? Sounds like you’d prefer @sovietbotswana or something.

• The genreal feeling expressed above is right, just wait for the value of your wage packet to fall from job competition. Our eldest who is a student has failed to get a seasonal job over the summer due to the fact that it is easier for the seasonal employers to use presentable Eastern Europeans, this is making his student loan position even worse with the net result that his to be quite truthfull mediocre university course will end up even more expensive!

• shipbuilder says:

Tyrrelcorp, Uncle Chris et al….if you’re leaving for another country, won’t you then be the immigrant? Let’s hope you get the welcome you wish to extend to others.
    Dilution of culture, eh? You’ll have been out in the street protesting against the first McDonalds in the UK, then? The first Starbucks? No pizza, pasta, Indian or Chinese meals for you, then? Polish food brands? What about Carlsberg, Becks, Budvar, Budweiser, any red wine, any white wine? Vodka? Bananas? Audis? Renaults? Toyotas? Sony playstations? Samsung TVs?
    Get a fucking grip lads and listen to yourselves……

• uncle chris says:

Shipbuilder – I acknowledge people have opinions different to mine, but surely we can conduct discussions without the bad language. Also, please credit us with some degree of intelligence to have fully thought these issues through. Personally, I’m not against some form of controlled immigration, but this country has never experienced immigration at the levels we have seen over the past 30 years – and I’m even counting the Norman invasion of 1066 here. Nobody knows what the result of rising tensions will be, not even me. I’m just aware that alot of people around me are very angry at what has transpired and feel betrayed by successive governments. That said, I do live near the Welsh town of Wrexham, which saw racially aggravated riots on 22 June 2003, and in which tensions continue to this day. If the massive levels of immigration remain unchecked, then I believe it would be naive in the extreme to expect that there would be no friction as a result – especially when the economy takes a turn for the worse as most expect here.

Anyway, if we do decide to leave the UK you will be rid of us, so no need to get so hot beneath the collar.

• Shipbuilder, I would like to move to Japan someday, but when I do I will behave as they wish me to behave in their country and will work hard. I would have no intention of moving the furniture to suit me, such as building an English church in Tokyo that would dwarf the Edo Imperial Palace (in reference to the super-mosque that will be built in east London to suit those who prefer to just be here without intergrating with us).

• Uncle Chris, I perhaps got carried away with the language, but i’d have to say that when immigration comes up here, it’s surprising that for a bunch of people so obviously smart and cynical about the factual content of news stories, so many fall for this nonsense without question. Considering the vitriol generally directed toward news stories from the Express on the subject of the property market, I can only imagine that this story passes without such scrutiny because of deeper prejudices. I simply couldn’t let your comment about the dilution of British culture pass without pointing out the obvious. It must have been one of the most ill-thought out comments I have seen on this forum.

• Shipbuilder – I never claim to put forward fully thought out comments, especially in my current sleep-deprived (new baby in the house) state of mind, but I have been witness to a number of negative impacts resulting from the high levels of immigration. As such, and on reflection, I do stick to my ‘dilution’ comments. I suppose the ‘Polish Brands’ comment may seem a little trivial to most, but it is a particular bug-bear of mine after a local supermarket no longer stocks a number of decent Welsh brands (which sadly include Tregoes Waffles) because they have cleared one side of a whole ailse to sell Polish products, which contain no English text to explain what on earth they are.

By the way, I think it’s refreshing to have a story in the Express that isn’t related to Al Fayad’s Diana conspiracy theories, or the ever rocketing house prices in the UK – not that I would dream of reading the Express – I’ll stick to the Guardian or Times.

• Uncle Chris, I think that it’s all too easy to approach this with a mindset forged with all the privileges of a white western upbringing. We in this country are all too ready to accept the economic ‘benefits’ of immigration while whinging about the downsides. We fully expect to leave this country and be able to travel and live anywhere in the world that our western education allows us (and expect them to speak English), yet would deny this benefit to others. Many of the eastern Europeans, Africans, Indians and so on here are qualified doctors, accountants and so on, yet we just can’t get past the impression that their degrees are somehow less valid than ours, that their culture is less ‘civilised’. At least be honest enough to admit this. Assuming that you are Welsh, you of all people should be able to identify with this casual bigotry. I still see no value to your argument about Polish products – only when you can truly say that you buy no produce that is not native to the UK or produced outside the UK can you possibly make that comment. What about Lidl? No problem with foreign brands there, because they appeal to our greed rather than our ridiculous sense of victimhood. Perhaps your local shop no longer stocks Welsh brands because no-one buys them – the ‘market forces’ everyone goes on about. I can’t imagine that a Welsh shop owner would make that decision on anything less than economic grounds – at least the Polish are supportive of their own products. Yet you bizarrely blame immigration, rather than the shop owner who made that decision. The level of hypocrisy in the UK is staggering – I saw nobody rushing to buy Rovers when they were going down the tubes, for example. The reality is that in this country all we can do is complain, take zero action to support our own ‘culture’ and pick on the easy targets rolled out by the press. On a final note, perhaps we should give something back to the countries that GB raped for their natural resources and wealth that ensured our comfortable lives today.
    Congratulations on the new baby, by the way.

• Scott – the point is that you can move to Japan, if you so wish. A country with a population density about 1.5 times that of the UK. Many of the aspects of western culture you are used to will indeed already be there because they have been accepted and assimilated into Japanese culture with little of the (recently formed in the UK) paranoia that that their native culture will be swept away. They have enough confidence in the strength of their own culture to enable that to happen. Sadly, we seem to have lost this confidence in the face of media hysteria. As a former empire, it is frankly ridiculous not to expect GB to be affected in some way by the countries we colonised. To welcome them and others is frankly the least we can do considering the wealth and power Britain gained from it.

• Scott, Shipbuilder – I was accepted onto a short-term academic fellowship at the University of Tokyo, so spent a good 6 weeks in Japan. It is a fascinating country and I was kindly welcomed by those around me. As they were all Japanese, I was able to see Japan away from the normal tourist trail. However, I was informed that there had been very little immigration (a fraction of one percent), which meant that foreigners were generally welcomed as ‘visitors’. This became evident to me when I went travelling outside of Tokyo (best railway system in the world by the way) and was seen and treated more as a curiosity, but generally with kindness. Even then, I came across places where foreigners were actively discouraged, to the point of signs in the windows. I do recall a long chat with my host professor in a traditional ryoken setting, where he was astounded that more than 10% of the UK population had arrived from overseas in the last 30 years (this was before the latest Polish arrivals) and that it had happened in relative peace. He was quite equivocal that the same thing would never be allowed to happen in Japan.

• That’s interesting – did he say why it would never be allowed to happen in Japan?