Friday, June 22, 2007

Global Materials Famine?

In times of famine

A lot of important information is traded over the UK’s garden fences. This summer however, the most important message concerns the fences themselves – or rather, the lack of them. Up and down the land, people are returning from DIY stores empty handed, or with their wallets considerably emptier than anticipated. “I’m having some fencing work done at home,” grumbles Brendan Morahan, a director at Taylor Woodrow, “and my fencer told me last night it was going to cost £150 more. Worrying Stuff?

Posted by speculatorone @ 05:23 PM (576 views)

7 thoughts on “Global Materials Famine?

• Nah, not worrying in the least. If your neighbour disturbs that much I can recommend the ever popular (and green) Leylandii. A fabulous species of flora and when left to their own devices they’ll cast a doom-laden shadow over the pillock’s poxy little shack in no time at all.

• Maybe I should make a fortune stealing and selling wood. Surely someone could fence it for me, LOL!!

• OK. Everybody knows we’re coming to the end of a boom in property and in construction. And now we find that our local stocks of building materials have run down. Where’s the news in this? What’s the inconsistency? What’s the worry? Sorry, I just don’t see it.

• Crash Bandicoot says:

This puzzles me, I can understand that we have no copper mines but surely market forces will at some point make it once more cost effective to operate facilities in the UK if prices contiue to rise. Why are Lafarge closing their Kent depot next year even though they cannot keep up with demand? Rising fuel prices can only assist with localisation of supply for building materials. Is there something more underhand going on here?

• Watching And Waiting says:

I’ve also heard this story a few weeks back ….about the shortage of fencing materials.
    It’s either very localised or someones’ trying to whip up some business.
    There’s no shortage of fencing bits in Shropshire. All the local DIY stortes have plenty plus the local fencing companies.

• Planning4acrash (previously Pr) says:

I think its a point about general rising raw material and commodity inflation, which will be seen first in places like builders merchants, who sell relatively unprocessed raw materials like wood planks for fences and steel girders for structures, etc.

• I think furniture, fixtures and fittings will also be hit.