Thursday, May 17, 2007

No rise in the land of the rising sun

Bank of Japan keeps rates on hold

Japan has kept its key interest rate on hold at 0.5% amid a recent slip in consumer prices.

Posted by holding out @ 09:52 AM (520 views)

10 thoughts on “No rise in the land of the rising sun

• This just beggars belief – when will the engine of easy money be switched off? Total madness that will end in disaster for the middle-classes of the world. Parasitic crooks…

• Sorry for the rant. By ‘parasitic crooks’ I mean the banks, and those in the financial system who siphon off the wealth – not the gullible middle-classes whose savings are being eroded.

• I agree Harold, every central bank in the world is in a race to devalue it’s currency, it’s getting to the point where you think should I just buy as many pots and pans as I can get to rid myself of the rapidly devaluing digits on my bank account. When this lot blows there will be hell to pay with the probable end of capitalism as we know it.

• I suspect that capitalism as most people think they knew it, ended some considerable ago.

Capitalism ‘won’ the World through both overt and covert brute force, lies,manipulation, corruption and sabotage. How did everyone think it would ‘govern’ the world once unchallenged by any serious rival.

‘History will come to view the collapse of the Soviet Union as the greatest human catastrophy of the 21st Centuary’ V.Putin.

I don’t think you need be a fan of Putin, or the Soviet Union, to kind of know what he meant by that.

• Worth a look at getting a Japanese mortgage? probably not I know someone who lost a lot of money doing just that in the 80s

• sold 2 rent 1 says:

From the FT

“There is a broad consensus, however, that the BoJ will not be able to raise rates from 0.5 per cent until after the July Upper House elections.”

• Quick, quick, the obese patient is sick, he needs another blood transfusion – where’s the sucker, oops, I mean public-spirited individual who will keep him alive? Ah, there you are Mr Nippon, step this way.

• sold 2 rent 1 says:

Gtrjazz,

Maybe but….
    What you gain with a rising Yen you lose when your house price crashes

• Not If - When! says:

Can anyone tell me whether a crash will mean substantial falls in the first year or are we talking price subsidence over a longer period of time. I want to get into my own home. I’m fed up of renting!

• I think you should as Japanese Uncle before considering investing in the Japanese property market – its fundamentally different to the UK. Granted, at the recent J P Morgan Japan investor day, Japanese real estate was the talk of the town but it doesn’t age as well as UK property.

The hint is in the geological substructure of the country, and all the implication that has for housing construction and materials.