Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Come on, let’s get writing in…

Have Your Say: how would an IR rise affect you?

Very bearish comments seem to be the vast majority of the comments on today's HYS - a sign of attitudes changing?

Posted by little professor @ 09:26 PM (462 views)

8 thoughts on “Come on, let’s get writing in…

• Already been there and done it using my alter ego ‘tellit straight’, for the first time ever I’ve got the top post for a comment on the BBC’s site! You can’t beat pouring a little fuel on the fire to fan the flames of public opinion.

• Cheekie Charlie says:

Quite good actually the yield on my savings will increase due to the sale of my overpriced shoe box. Now not only is my rent covered but my child minder as well!

• The BBC is trying to assemble FTB sob stories saying “If IRs rise any more I won’t be able to afford it and house prices are already expensive and … ”

Nice one enuii – good job. If you were a member of fight club, your next assignment would be … to attend the protest in Brighton this weekend.

• “I own 3 houses and will pass on the interest rate rises to my tenents. I live in my girlfriends council house so not affected personally”

LOL! three houses and an upward trend, an good business does not make. he’s stupid if he thinks he can pass the rate onto his tenents, it doesn’t work like.

• dohousescrashinthewoods says:

Cute that “we” are now on the “flame fanning” side, but a little cheeky given the derision that VIs get here.

I’d kind of like to see it all go bang for the exciting macroeconomic shakeout of it, and the frustration with VIs certainly creates a desire to counter-VI. But the human tragedy is immense (with so many people who don’t know any better and certainly haven’t been given a fair story) having been lobster-potted by market conditions. I’d like to see it take a natural and un-fanned course, otherwise there will be a lot of justified vitriol directed this way, especially given that this site has been mentioned in several articles.

Webmaster, I wonder, does the site draw any “hate mail”?

• I’ve been hearing that a lot lately from highly geared BTL bandwagoners; “if interest rates rise, I’ll pass it on to my tenants”. So these amateur landlords think you can tear up a shorthold tenancy agreement half way through so that you can up the rent? And what happens even if they do push through the rent rise? The tenants rent a property from a less leveraged BTL landlord at a rent rate closer to the market norm – rises in interest rates won’t affect the default market rent.

And if ever they do … guess what was put in the CPI index in favour of mortgage interest? You guessed it – residential property rents.

Dear oh dear those landlords are in for a shock.

• dohousescrashinthewoods says:

Interesting indicator will be whether future rearrangements of the CPI basket will reduce or remove residential property rents.

Perhaps they will put mortgage costs back in once they start going down on the back offalling house prices? 😉

I’ve heard this argument before.

“It doesn’t matter if houses crash, if you are in it for the long term.”

Is also a favourite.

You just can’t get through to some people.