Saturday, May 19, 2007

Bonuses, Oligarchs, Rise of the Stupids..when will Londons ‘top end’ cool?

London house prices rise by 33% in most expensive areas - Knight Frank

Prices of the best properties in central London have risen by over 33 per cent in the last 12 months, according to Knight Frank Prime Central London Residential Index...This is the fastest rate of growth since mid 1979 and means that prices in central London are now rising at three times the rate seen in the wider UK market.

Posted by converted lurker @ 12:59 PM (578 views)

18 thoughts on “Bonuses, Oligarchs, Rise of the Stupids..when will Londons ‘top end’ cool?

• 33%!! How is this skewing the ‘rosy’ national picture? Favourably, I would suggest.

• “The whole point of becoming rich is to separate oneself from the riff-raff”

– Van Hoogstraten, Britain’s richest criminal (est. worth £800m)

As a wannabe first time buyer, high prices cause concern but at least they keep the riff-raff out of the areas. All of these hypocritical socialists that don’t mind immigrants would certainly change their minds if they were forced to live in the east end for a year.

• I suggest that we all ignore London and look at the rest of the UK, 33% is a rogue statistic which in many other areas would be removed to avoid distorting the truth.

In the week where we have had a 2% fall in Scotland we have a 33% rise in London which just about sums everything up.

• Off on a tangent – has anyone else thought Harry Enfield’s latest work is a modern working of characters we all saw in the late 1980s?

In 1980/1990s Enfiel had Loadsamoney, Tim NiceButDim, Scousers etc..

Now – Posh Scaffolders, ‘I Saw You Coming’ Shop Owner, Jose Mourinho, New Creative Media Types, Obese Kids and Eastern European Coffee Shop.

Very much a more London focus – but says alot about Nulabs Britain!

My fav is Posh Scaffolders Talk About Bank Of England and Housing Market

Fav line – Nelson Mandella saying “Lets get muntered”

• Posh scaffolders is verging on genius excepting their tendency to slip into their older characters, inspired, when this sort of stuff hits the comedy screens you just know were in for it.

• nearly30 and enuii

I agree about the Posh Scaffolders being clever and excellent, but most of the rest of the show I don’t find funny, in it’s fact a bit boring and tired. Overall, IMHO, very disappointing… sorry.

• tyrellcorporation says:

The trouble is the London market is very much relevant to us lot. People leaving London to relocate elsewhere have monopoly money to spend on properties and this drives up prices creating havoc in the regional markets for people on ‘normal’ salaries. This is happening massively in Exeter where over the last 2 years the place has been inundated with Londoners downsizing and buying a spare Ferrari or two.

My friends house in london has made them £2k a week for the last 2 years and now they have £650k to spend. That’ll buy you a 5 bed georgian terrace down here but not for long. I should have bought immediately when I moved down here 3 years ago but stupidly I didn’t. There again for the second half of 2004 and most of 2005 prices were falling here until those sh*ts at the MPC cut the rates by a quater of a percent. This immediately stopped the slump in it’s tracks and it’s been rampant HPI ever since! Nice move Mervyn!

Gnnnnaaarrrrrrr!!!

• I have said it before Tyrell and I will say it again; Capitalism does not work.

• I am rather keen on that show myself nearly30.

• Harold,

you need to look at things differently and find humour funny.Think in a lateral way and in the process find a way of understanding the HPI madness.Harry enfield and his lot may show you the right direction…..

• Observer, don’t get me wrong, I’ve got a lot of respect for Harry Enfield as a comedian – in the past I have really liked his stuff. Tim-nice-but-dim and the other characters were fantastic. Also, as I say I think the posh scaffolders are great (one of the things that is particularly funny about those sketches is the fact that they are socially subversive). But IMHO Bono and Mandela are just not funny. And it’s not because they are not legitimate targets of ridicule (well, I’m not sure that Mandela is, Bono certainly is), it’s just that it’s not funny. I cannot explain it… maybe I need to go and live in Germany for a while.

• Oh and the other thing… Enfield shouts his way through the whole programme – after a while my head aches. Turning the volume down doesn’t seem to help.

• Harold,

I agree. Enfield’s Bono is just not funny. Maybe it because his Irish accent is so awful, or maybe it’s because he just hasn’t captured Bono’s mannerisms, or maybe it’s just that Harry Enfield is well past his best.

• Good feedback cheers – I agree on the Enfield is a bit past it – but the ‘I saw you coming’ sketches are spot on!!!

If I could open a shop like that in Knightsbridge or Notting Hill I would – a very good and well observed bit of humour IMHO – makes up for a weaker rest of show!

• Nearly

I like the ‘I saw you coming’ sketches’ too – esp when one of the women had a husband who was a hedge fund manager !!

I have actually been in a London Eastern European Coffee shop just like the one on the show – Faboouolous, Yes?

• sirgoogle – Enfield is a bit hit and miss – but when he gets it – great!! Take a trip down memory lane in You Tube for a belly laugh.

Here’s a thought – could Enfield be a barometer of things to come?

• Actually the Posh Builders is a nice comment on society. I know of science graduates who also trained as plumbers and electricians while they were undergraduates. I also have a friend who was a Physics Graduate (with 1st Class Honours) who retrained as an accountant immediately after graduating.

These guys saw the writing was on the wall ages ago for British Science and manufacturing – and left the profession much to the detriment of the country – but at least allowed them to put food on the table for their families – and a roof over their head. Others (like me) simply left the country for pastures new.

Academic/Research pay is sooo [email protected] that I suspect that academics have not been able to get a mortgage for several years now even with the lax lending policies.

The long term prospects of a society are forecast in the status (pay) that is given to scientists and Engineers. Contrast the future that Germany has now. It has always valued its technical and scientific base. Germany values those who make things over those who sell or count them – which is precisely the opposite to the UK,

In the UK scientists and engineers are on the same wages as toilet cleaners – some reward for all those years of slog through the hardest of exam paths. Very galling when some cotton-wool-brained Art student who slept through university becomes your boss simply because they can do a Powerpoint presentation about your work.

Rant over.

• Nearly..

Yes I think that comedy actually is a barometer of what is to come. I hear Spitting Image may make a return too.

And the way Mr Putin is behaving I suspect we will have Politburo jokes again soon.