Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Hip hip hooray? Will Home Information Packs bring information overload?

Head to head: Too much information?

All people selling property in England and Wales will have to supply a Home Information Pack from 1 June. These packs contain basic details about the property as well as an energy performance certificate. The idea of the packs is to reduce the number of house sales which fall through. Two experts argue whether the packs are up for the task in hand.

Posted by disillusioned @ 01:31 PM (619 views)

5 thoughts on “Hip hip hooray? Will Home Information Packs bring information overload?

• Richard, Devon says:

I have rarely read such utter rubbish as is attributed to Trevor Kent about Home Information Packs.
    He is reported as saying:
    “If you are a seller they are an unnecessary expense and a fourteen day ban on marketing your home.
    If you are a buyer, they are collections of totally useless information about the house you might be considering offering on.
    Both your solicitor and mortgage lender will tell you, when you show them the pack, “it’s no use to us”. ”

All of those statements are untrue. There is no 14 day ban on marketing your home. The information which is needed to allow the house to be marketed will be available normally within less than 5 days. Presumably Mr Kent is proposing to make his clients wait 14 days, perhaps out of pique or to try to prove his inane point. Anyone who uses an estate agent who takes that length of time to get to market is frankly ill advised & such incompetent estate agents will hopefully soon be out of business. I need say no more on that matter, other than that if it takes Mr Kent 14 days to get his Energy Performance Certificate, I wonder if that might possibly be because no-one in their right minds wants to do them for someone who has been so destructive about this thing? Is that called being hoist on your own petard?

The documents (other than the Energy Performance Certificate) are exactly the same ones that a buyer’s solicitor has to drag out of the seller’s solicitor like pulling teeth, after an offer has been accepted & when everyone wants to get things sorted. So how come they have suddenly become “totally useless”? If he is referring to the age of searches, that is a total misrepresentation of modern methods of doing things. I appreciate that Mr Kent lives in the past of cosy deals which keep the consumer in the dark so far as possible, but if he does not understand what is going on around him, why does he think he has the right to set himself up as an authority on this?

Any solicitor who says it’s of no use similarly will not be in business for long. As for mortgage lenders, well yes, they have certainly got some catching up to do; the poor things have only had 9 years to get involved. But many of them are already recognising the benefits that HIPs will bring.

When consumers understand what HIPs are about they are almost universally enthusiastic; it’s the people who don’t understand them who tend to be against them. If I did not know that Mr Kent comes from an almost extinct breed of estate agents, I would have been very surprised that he is prepared to put himself into the category of the ill-informed. Strangely, in his attack on HIPs, having said what I quote above, the only thing he uses as an argument is his utterly fallacious view that it will take 14 days to get an EPC. Nothing justifying his ludicrous comments about it being a waste of money and useless.

• bidin'matime says:

Richard, as a prospective homebuyer, I’m really looking forward to being able to get an energy report on my chosen new home – it will enable me to distinguish between an old character property, with original windows and open fires, and a modern box – something I would have really struggled with before. Not sure I’ll hold much stead by the searches – I think I’ll just be on the safe side and get someone I can trust to do them for me. But at least I’ll be able to make some savings by using the report to light the fire.

• Richard, Devon says:

I didn’t exactly argue the case for the EPC did I? I am not sure the idea of an EPC is to help you distinguish between properties like you sarcastically suggest. As for searches, um, so you won’t trust them produced from local authority records, but presented by the seller’s rather than the buyer’s solicitor? Or is there someone else you say you will trust? Please explain. I fail to see any relevant point you are trying to make other than your aptitude for sarcasm & a lack of understanding of the HIP.

• Chris Davies says:

Home infomrtion pack warning..
    Please note. Ask to see the energy inspectors and home inspectors, Criminal record check or CRB form. If they refuse then close the door…

From The Sunday Telegraph stroy regarding Energy inspectors, and criminal record checks One very nervous gentleman did exactly that, but a smile slowly spread across his face when he was assured that his criminal peccadillo would not prevent him “assessing” up to 10 houses a day.

“Looks like I’ll be fine,” he told me. “After all, we’ve all got skeletons in our closet, haven’t we?”

Chris

• Richard, Devon says:

I suppose it’s not quite as bad as letting an estate agent wander round your home, often on their own with a key, coming & going when they please whilst you are out. And the estate agents don’t need a CRB check (at the moment) to do this. Whereas the Home Inspectors and Domestic Energy Assessors definitely do, whatever you might read in the newspapers.