Monday, February 5, 2007

Oh dear, oh dear

Brown's 'creative accounting' hides fact that Government is dangerously in the red

The true scale of public debt is now £1,100 billion, equal to 87 per cent of national wealth - more than twice the level that the Treasury itself regards as "sustainable".

Posted by sovietuk @ 10:38 AM (2593 views)

14 thoughts on “Oh dear, oh dear

• george monsoon says:

What a turn up for the books.. I didn’t see that one coming!

• george monsoon says:

What a turn up for the books.. I didn’t see that one coming!

• deja vu, that weird sensation

• deja vu, that weird sensation

• dohousescrashinthewoods says:

The guy has made a big big mess and do doubt will be blaming this on his successor from his perch at No.10.
    I can’t see people standing for it, these boys have got to go.
    Why should “politician” be a byword for “disingenuous, lying, toad of an estate agent”?
    How about building trust through honesty and openness – investing in getting things straight rather than raiding the barn until there’s nothing left?

• dohousescrashinthewoods says:

Browenron.

• george monsoon says:

Does anyone know if Brown has a portfolio of property, or has ever been involved with the property market?
    Is he lined up to go on the board of any major companies when he leaves office?

• In the private sector they go to jail for this kind of thing…

• This is the real reason why the sudden urgency to get Tony out of Number 10 so King Brown can assume the throne. He knows it is all about to go south. Please Please Tony stay a bit longer so Crash Gordon is at number 11 when it all goes wrong or even better dump Brown and elect someone else to lead the Labour Party (If only what a fantisy). Notice no one seems to want to take over Gordons job in the party.

• It’s encouraging to see old Gordy embracing the off balance sheet accounting deals that
    worked so well for Enron and Anderson’s. Wonder which “consultancy” advised this, and how
    much their fees cost the tax payer ?!

• What do you expect from a politician?

If they were to ‘straighten’ it out they would have to downsize the government. And that is very unpopultar with voters.

Ultimately I think the voters are to blame. Or rather all of us for not protesting. Voting is a waste of time.

• dohousescrashinthewoods says:

Cstanhope707, I can’t tell if Tony is hangigng on for himself or to keep the Gopher out.

I would be pleased to see G take responsibility for his plate-spinning act at no.11 so I think Tony should stay until it is clear to the electorate who they are in danger of allowing to run the country.
    Could Crash Gordon turn out to be devastatingly the greater of these two spin doctors?

• Got this at work today, it just about sums up the last 10 years of Gordon Brownianism.

A young man named Gordon bought a donkey from an old farmer for £100.00.

The farmer agreed to deliver the donkey the next day, but when the farmer
    drove up he said, “Sorry son, but I have some bad news… the donkey is on
    my truck, but unfortunately he’s dead.”

Gordon replied, “Well then, just give me my money back.”

The farmer said, “I can’t do that, because I’ve spent it already.”

Gordon said, “OK then, well just unload the donkey anyway.”

The farmer asked, “What are you going to do with him?”

Gordon answered, “I’m going to raffle him off.”

To which the farmer exclaimed, “Surely you can’t raffle off a dead donkey!”

But Gordon, with a wicked smile on his face said, “Of course I can, you
    watch me. I just won’t bother to tell anybody that he’s dead.”

A month later the farmer met up with Gordon and asked, “What happened with
    that dead donkey?”

Gordon said, “I raffled him off, sold 500 tickets at two pounds a piece,
    and made a huge, fat profit!!”

Totally amazed, the farmer asked, “Didn’t anyone complain that you had
    stolen their money because you lied about the donkey being dead?”

To which Gordon replied, “The only guy who found out about the donkey being
    dead was the raffle winner when he came to claim his prize. So I gave him
    his £2 raffle ticket money back plus an extra £200, which as you know is
    double the going rate for a donkey, so he thought I was a great guy!!”

Gordon grew up and eventually became the Chancellor of the Exchequer, and
    no matter how many times he lied, or how much money he stole from the
    British voters, as long as he gave them back some of the stolen money, most
    of them, unfortunately, still thought he was a great guy.

The moral of this story is that, if you think Gordon is about to play fair
    and do something for the everyday people of the country for once in his
    miserable, lying life, think again my friend, because you’ll be better off
    flogging a dead donkey!

• No worries – lots of cheap properties for us to rent over the next few years if more BTLs come on the market. We originally started renting whilst we considered buying, but it has really opened our eyes to the benefits of renting. Three years later we are still enjoying the stress-free life that it brings. Yes we would like to buy one day but there is certainly no rush since we haven’t decided which area we would like to settle. In the meantime, and with FTBs having fallen out the equation, the BTLs have got themselves in a right catch22 situation. If they continue to buy then rents stagnate or even fall, and if they all decide to sell then house prices drop. I don’t understand why they cannot see this as a no-win situation – unless of course you entered the field 10 years ago.