Tuesday, October 24, 2006

High fuel bills panel

Inflation, what's that again?

British household gas and electricity bills have almost doubled in the last three years and now total more than £1,000 a year on average. Six people tell us how they are coping.

Posted by kpjcomp @ 11:29 AM (1594 views)

8 thoughts on “High fuel bills panel

• Why isn’t the government being officially questioned over its Inflationary figures the content of the indexes it uses? Does anyone know anybody who believes the figures? They must be running out of ink at the royal mint…

It is going to take an even more intricate series of smoke and mirrors for the government to keep this going, to continue their lies

While the banks are still able to create even more lax lending rules, people will continue to borrow, pumping more and more air into the bubble. I am sure i am not the only one dumbfounded by how long this has lasted….must stay strong, must stay strong…

• While I am sorry for the personal suffering of these people, my sympathy is limited. Home owners cheer when house rpices rise quickly so if rising house prices are a good thing, why are rising energy costs equally good. I would love to be in a position where am I struggling to afford to heat my home – as I can’t afford my own home. What a shame the BBC have not allowed readers to add comments.

Rant over.

This is a good sign. If consumers are spending more on heating their homes then they have less to spend on discretionary goods. This will cause the economic engine of the UK to splutter. With spluttering, house prices will reduce.

• autopilotengage says:

Hmm, let’s all invest in oil for the next “bull market in oil”. I reckon if i buy enough jerry cans i could store thousands of litre’s in my rented home. If we all do it, prices will keep going up too! woohoo!

• waitingfor hpc says:

inflation – don’t be silly. the b of e and the VI’s tell us immigration will sort that.

• C'mon Correction says:

Geed, I feel the same as you. I really can’t believe how much people are STILL getting themselves in debt. Most of my friends don’t know anything about financial markets or even basic economics but deem me to be an idiot for not buying (even though they’ve ALL had help off parents). Grr

I think I might start preying (I’m not religious currently!) every night that one day I will have the same standard of living for my future family, as my older brother and sister born 8-10 years before me currently have.

• Retiredbanker says:

IMO people have got soft and are heating their homes to ridiculously high temperatures.

Just as well that we don’t seem to get really cold winters any more due to global warming,
    although if the Gulf Stream shuts down as predicted by some climatologists and oceanographers,
    then we had better all move south.

• little professor says:

Meanwhile, 3rd quarter profits at BP rise 58% to $6.975 BILLION. The remarkable thing is that analysts had expected the rise in profits to be even larger, so were disappointed by these results.

• C’mon Correction…

Better make that “praying” unless you intend to become a perigrine falcon, or, if you really do intend to be “preying” in the property market there’s always membership for you among the VIs of all descriptions. But dues to join are in the millions and rising. Yust a little yoke.