Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Don’t panic the Tories will save us..honest..

How the Conservatives will help more people get onto the first rung of the housing ladder

Conservatives have accused the Labour Party of pricing a whole generation of low and middle income earners out of buying a family home - and in response have heralded a change in Whitehall rules to encourage the construction of more new houses with bedrooms and gardens for families - in place of dense blocks of flats.

Posted by converted lurker @ 11:39 AM (599 views)

19 thoughts on “Don’t panic the Tories will save us..honest..

• Wow – further evidence that the tories are retards.

Did we need any?

• tyrellcorporation says:

I just read the article and, although there is nothing staggering in the proposals, I fail to see how your conclusion is that the Tories are retards other than you don’t like them generally. My feeling is that although far from perfect, the Tories are the UKs only hope and frankly if NL get in again I WILL emigrate.

The mention of the abolition of Regional Assemblies is music to my ears!

• tyrellcorp,

Everything sounded good, untill the last sentense about shared ownership schemes.
    If they had’nt put that bit in, I might have given 5 stars. 🙂

• A very good proposal IMHO. But I do wish they would stop using the word ladder, what ladder?

• tyrellcorporation says:

Yep, there is no ‘ladder’, just a very perilous, wood worm riddled, first rung that is only reached by standing on some stacked chairs and a biscuit barrel… I whince every time that term is mentioned, a bit like ‘Key Worker’, ‘Sustainable’, ‘Diversity’, ‘Agendas for Change’, ‘Tsars’, ‘Step-Change’, ‘Sensible & honest debates’, ‘Schools & Hospitals’, etc, etc…

Oooops! I didn’t read the bit about shared ownership – that’s clearly stupid!

• Well said kpjcomp, yet again this Notting Hill Set Prat of a leader is showing how he has no clue. Shared Ownership is a stupid idea, what needs to happen is a complete rationalization and simplification of the planning laws and process laying off thousands of worthless jobsworths good so far, then a complete reform of the house buying process. Add to this scrapping the Stamp Duty.

But hopefully the offshoring of the Property Market to Poland and the like will see it crumbling in the end.

But not this lot that is why I am voting UKIP they will not form a Government but they can make life hell for the main McParties.

Another thing is that I am fed up with the expression “Hard Working Families” and helping families as if single people do not contribute a damb thing no we just pay everyone elses taxes. And on the subject of the Environment taliking about impact on supposid Global Warming what about having more and more kids that surely has more envirinmental impact.

So Little Lord Cameron can go and stick his silly wind turbine somewhere…..

• hmm, I kinda disagree with tyrellcorporation,

They talk about protecting gardens and helping the environment, yet want parking spaces for cars but fail to mention investment in public transport? – Yeah, it’s more pseudo double speak.

Also, “cancel Whitehall’s ongoing plans for a council tax revaluation”? – Why? because the unfair use of an unfair tax they introduced is wrong. I don’t think they’re retards, but I do think they lack the morality to suggest that it’s all NL’s fault and they’re the ones with the answers. After all, Blairism, is the 90’s version of Thatcherism, and Cameron is suggesting he is the natural successor to Blairism. Little will change, builders will still build substandard housing, and you know bad housing, leads to some angry people, and angry people make very bad communities. But it’s all not that bad, because none of the policy makers have to live there.

The Tories, are very hypocritical to suggest they have the answers, when it’s their polices that have been part of the problem.

• glut of flats????? – how come the house price index hasn’t come down??

This article makes it sound like we don’t have a housing problem, rather we have an urbanisation problem.

• Wake me up when they actually start putting together their ideas in the form of policy rather than vote grabbing headlines. I think we’ll find most of these good ideas evaporate and we’re left with ‘Shared Ownership Schemes’ as the only tangible peice of action they’ll be prepared to support.

Taxing second/third/fourth homes is the one idea that would burst the bubble we’re in but can you really see the Tories (or Labour for that matter) going for that ?

• The whole idea falls flat on its face where they will “give local communities a stronger say on where new homes are built”. That is the present problem where local self interest stops any new development. A regional assembly is far less likely to be swayed by the whim of local councillors. From a central government’s perspective, it’s a shame the rate support grant hasn’t been linked to increases of housing stock!

• never been convinced by the idea that all we need to do is build more or introduce shared ownship. building more overpriced house that people can not afford will only increase the investment bubble

BFS

• Tyrell,

‘ Right and proper’ is one that grates me for some reason. These Nu labour phrases emerge and then spread like the plague amongst politicians, then commentators, and then to the corporates. Within weeks they are part of daily vocabulary for everybody and yet none of these phrases actually mean anything, to anybody!

” Its right and proper that our diversity Tsar is able to provide, not only sustainable step changes within our schools and hospitals, but also a platform for the sensible and honest, firm but fair, debate, that enrichens all our democratic institutions”

• It always leaves me bemused when I hear about low and middle earners being priced out of property. Traditionally these were the groups who labour represented. It seems to be these days that if you are wealthy enough you can donate to the labour party and buy yourself a peerage. I fail to understand who other than themselves labour represent these days.
    As for the conservatives I would take ten Camerons over one Brown and I doubt I will vote for Cameron. Anybody notice that Brown has got the horrible little sneer back at the end of each sentence? He covered it up for a while but it is well and truly back. Revolting little man. PM my arse.

• Well, I suppose if they get in and don’t change their tune entirely, they’ll sell this to the bankers with the “shared ownership” bit and “flexible home ownership” clause to knock out a few more dangerous mortgage contracts. If that’s what it takes and this trend continues I’m with Inbreda — people of questionable intelligence continuing down a highly precarious social path. Nothing new or wonderful.

• And that having been said, I’m with Denzil on the Brown sneer bit. This revoltingly supercilious behavior sends shivers down one’s spine. Don’t know that I want ten Camerons in his place especially, but Brown has all the earmarks of a condescending tyrant.

• Is it just me or are the Tories a tad obsessed with gardens? It’s mentioned 8 times!

• I can’t agree more – I’ve never liked Brown and certainly wouldn’t want him running the country. He’s mistaken his good fortune over the past few years for skill.

The article shows us that as always, the tories are low on detail, with that last sentence mumbling something vague about “new flexible forms of home ownership”. Well I’m not convinced at all.

• Paul – although I agree that Brown has probably mistaken his luck for skill, don’t you find it incredible that he ‘moves the goal posts’ re his economic cycle, and still thinks he is skillful?

• My council decided to build a housing estate over a school playing field. The houses are too close together, many of them three storeys high; they are squalid brick boxes and have not a hint of greenery between the high walls. – There are plenty of ‘To Let’ signs on that estate.

I’m all in favour of sensible high-density housing, but if there’s no green spaces no-one will want to live there.