Sunday, July 9, 2006

Playing houses, everyone’s doing it…

Property matters, I'm all lost in the supermarket, I can no longer shop happily

"Have you sold your house then?" the girl on the till asks as part of her continual unbroken dialogue whilst adeptly scanning various boxes and tins with spurious overseas labels, gathered (with the usual nonchalance), in order that I complete my weekly penance of shopping for my infirmed pensioner brother in law. Ensuring that his meagre income stretches once again to its fiscal breaking point is always a challenge in home economics.

Posted by Converted Lurker @ 03:14 PM (631 views)

8 thoughts on “Playing houses, everyone’s doing it…

• bidin'matime says:

?

• japanese uncle says:

This episode simply reminds me of the anecdote of Joseph Kennedy (JFK’s father) who made a fortune by short-selling shares, convinced of the imminent crash in the stock market, after having heard a shoeshine boy saying “Hey Gov share-trading is easy to make money, isn’t it? “.

• It’s a fair point though, that if the number of shoe shine boys is sufficient, they could actually cause a soft landing.

If enough people are stupid enough to subsidise an investment that isn’t going up in value, then it might be a number of years until they realise their mistake and start selling.

• My flatmate mentors salesmen in Ireland, they have worked in Tesco till the age of 35 then move into sales to earn more money when a family comes along, he says their not the brightest apples in the basket. The other day he was out with one of them in their truck and this guy starts to give him advice on his personal finances…’you gotta buy property in Bulgaria’ he says, my flatmate comes in that evening and tells me the crash is around the corner…he said the conversation reminded him of the of the dog on the street in 1929, it was that easy to make money the dog on the street was buying shares.

You guys are great, it nice to know their are a few who think the same, I just hope we’re not just a bunch of pessimists.

• I hope it doesn’t disturb you Miniftse, but I am indeed a pessimist. And a cynic. In fact I’ve even been called ‘A really miserable bstrd’.

Doesn’t stop me being right though 😉

• tyrellcorporation says:

…Oh that’s nothing, I’m often called ‘The Grinch’ and have halted polite dinner parties with bitter, venom-soaked rants that make people’s hair go white! 😉

• I’m not getting invited anywhere anymore. Still sitting at home by oneself does wonders with one’s ability to espress one’s bitterness and disillusion in a more articulate manner.

• bidin'matime says:

I’m an optimist – I can’t believe that it’s going to be as bad as I think it’s going to be… You think I’m joking, don’t you?!