House Price Crash Forum

Share Ideas For 2011

jimmyblueeyes

HOLA441

Wow, cheers Fawkandles!

Just checking out FTE and ALO... FTE looking good.

I buy mine through my investment account... so if I make incredible gains over £10.1k I'll have to pay 28% tax on those gains above that figure :(

Same with you guys, or do you spread bet them instead (no CGT)?

The only thing about ALO is they've very little news and their website is sparse on info also. I did look at them months ago - what attracts you in particular?

I'm new to investing, so doubt CGT will be an issue in my first year. I have XEL and CAZA mostly in an ISA so tax free. Otherwise around 6k profit this year taxable. Cross that bridge when I come to it.

ALO is a tiny company right now, so I'll forgive them for not having a great website. I'm hoping their 2010 annual report is out soon, and they should have some good news this quarter, but not yet. (Hence why I'm building a stake)

I wanted a small explorer, focused as much as possible on uranium, early in its lifecycle. ALO is the best fit. The main risk other than not finding anything is that Mauratania is a dodgy country. My hunch is that the government wont be an issue unless the company is mega successful - doubtful. I can't find anything wrong with the company. BOD seems good, and hold shares. They have already raised cash so no dilution surprises, which also puts strong support under the price now (but maybe some overhang)

Just gotta build a stake and wait for 2 years.

Edited by Fawkandles

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Hi guitarman,

I am guessing by the tone of your recent posts on this forum that you will probably not fully stomach the wild ride that is the AIM. Can you live with downsides of 50-95% losses?

A nice portfolio of safe biggest-of-the-blue-chips three years ago or so ... the Scottish banks, for instance.

HOLA444

:)

Still biding my time.... all I need is for one of them to rocket lol. Strangely I feel very at ease even though I'm in AIM - not bothering about share price falls - maybe I'm maturing as an investor. Now... as long as gold doesn't tumble!

EDIT - CGT thread WOULD be good.

Edited by guitarman001

HOLA445

Looks like CAZA is about to pop, so I'm moving it to an ISA where it should have been in the first place. Sold BPC on yesterdays 15% rise.

All time high for my holdings :)

Once you become comfortable with losses, and understanding WHY its in the red, its not a worry. I'ce been red on CAZA for months, but confident it wouldn't last forever (so much so I tripled my holding). Same now with ALO.

HOLA446

Why is CAZA about to pop? So may to watch, it's hard to keep up.

I've decided I've enough in shares for now (approx 1/3 of savings) so wont be adding more any time too soon.

I've got faith in the companies I've chosen, especially Angel Mining - Can't wait to see what value they hold at the end of years 1, 2, 3 (when I intend to buy!)

HOLA447

I've decided I've enough in shares for now (approx 1/3 of savings) so wont be adding more any time too soon.

I've got faith in the companies I've chosen, especially Angel Mining - Can't wait to see what value they hold at the end of years 1, 2, 3 (when I intend to buy!)

CAZA is currently drilling so it could pop up or down depending on if they find dust or oil/gas. Apparently it is quite undervalued compared to other junior oilers at similar stage of their lifecycle.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Anyone making good profits since the beginning of 2011 yet?

/me up £3.5k on one share alone. And it's no AIM tiddler, it's in the FTSE 100 B)

ARM?

I'm mostly down particulary on my gold miners but I am holding tight.

Edited by nohpc

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

For ease of conversation, which do you consider good then please?

Don't have individual shares but I hold Blackrock Gold and Junior Gold Miners Fund. Both have soared far too high and will correct heav ily over the current correction in gold prices. Having held them for sometime now the volatility doesn't bother me and I might add to them.

HOLA4412

Typo? You mean sell in 3 years? Or youre shorting?

CAZA is popping above resistance on anticipation of the new drill. Its one of three "company making" prospects. Have a watch of the directors recent interview. (Cant link as i'm on the mobile phone. Its on the iii forum yesterday)

Whats the other 2/3rds stashed in? Cash?

HOLA4413

[qaeote name=porca misèria' timestamp='1295099190' post='2856321]

Anyone making good profits since the beginning of 2011 yet?

/me up £3.5k on one share alone. And it's no AIM tiddler, it's in the FTSE 100 B)

Not til you've sold it you arent ;)

I havent done the calcs but up 10% ish since end of december. Herencia and trading BPC, and despite ALO dropping 15%. Not all paper eitther as ive sold up into caash on 2 holdings, biding my time for a bargain, in current watched stocks or elsewhere.

HOLA4414

ARM?

I'm mostly down particulary on my gold miners but I am holding tight.

Yep B) ARM is my biggest single holding, and likely to remain so. If I have a regret it's taking profits too early on part of my investment.

FWIW I suspect it's got ahead of itself now, but longer term it's at the heart of one helluva growth story :D Glad I came to that conclusion when it was under 90p.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Fair enough but you think gold is going to correct quite away then do you from here?

yes, it has to correct so the bull market can continue. That's how it works isn't it? Unless we're already at the top of the bull market. Nothing goes up in a straight line.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I'm uneasy about gold given my bullishness on economic recovery. I have contradicted myself by buying shares in a gold miner that will hopefully be producing in 2-3 years time...

The thing is, they also have just as much uranium to dig up, and the gold prospects SHOULD have copper in them too - and I like copper.

HOLA4419
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4420

I've just has the worst streak ever.......... OTC released their RNS and I topped up prior. Price dropped 40%+, lost a decent wad. Most of my other AIM miners are down 20%+ also - did some damage limitation and sold some AIM stocks that were up 10%ish, and lucky I did, as some of those are now done, also!!!

There's something funny going on right now and I don't like it.... Overall down another £1.4k on all my investments and pretty worried. It's not life changing, just a pain in the ass as it will take several months to make that back up. I'm not even being greedy, I'm holding these for a year or two, but if the prices drop more than 25% I sell half and keep the rest in hope of any recovery.

Choppy waters right now and it's been quiet here - how have you all fared? Am I the only one? Honestly, it seems I have the WORST luck possible... all I want is 5%+, I'm not hoping for too much - as soon as I can break even/slightly higher than entry point, I will sell and be rid of this. Maybe there's something to the saying that engineers make poor investors....

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4425

not just that, but AIM miners ... you'd be hard-pressed to find a frothier bubble!

Not really. They are very volatile but not in a bubble. I'll come back in a year and let you know if I doubled my money again on mIners or not