House Price Crash Forum

Where Is This ?

HOLA441
  • Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
Guest X-QUORK

Can you provide any context or do you nothing absolutely nothing about the pic? In which case, why the interest?

HOLA443
HOLA444

It says Ballachulish.

Ballachulish is my login on photobucket :rolleyes:

its from an old postcard I have ,but there are no details on the back identifying it

I suspect its in England somewhere due to the style of the castle

I just like solving puzzles and thought some of my English brothers on here

may recognise it

HOLA445

its from an old postcard I have ,but there are no details on the back identifying it

I suspect its in England somewhere due to the style of the castle

I just like solving puzzles and thought some of my English brothers on here

may recognise it

Doh!

I googled that and there was a castellate house so I assumed that's where it was. Back to the naughty step.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I wonder if it's some kind of exhibiton? The main building's all lit up and it looks as if there's festive lighting all along the side of the river (or whatever it is). The big building also looks kind of temporary: if you look round the side then it just seems to be entirely plain, in contrast to the fancy front.

Do we have any castle experts? The castle looks a little strange. It looks in pretty good repair, even to the point of having a conical (slate?) top on the tower. Google doesn't come up with many castles in Britain with features like that. Note also that it looks as if the outer part of the wall has been built up to protect the conical roof; this looks like a slightly weird feature that might be easy for an expert to track down.

Edit. Oh yes, and the river, if that's what it is. There appears to be rock sloping quite steeply down to the water, which kind of suggests that the river's tidal, so we must be close to the coast (I suppose the water could be the sea, but then it might well sweep over the edge in stormy weather).

HOLA4410

castle.jpg

hoping someone on here can identify it

castle on the right may be the best clue

The mud on the river/sea bank looks very English, as does the castle.

If by the sea, the mud looks like it's from the West coast. Lancashire area etc.

If it's on a riverbank, could be anywhere, including the Thames.

Just my thoughts.

HOLA4411

thanks for the replies

my 1st thoughts were the Thames but I've scoured google earth

to no avail

I would think its a river rather than sea due to what may be a bridge

on the far left of image(unless its a crane )

if its a bridge then it seems to be a tight bend just after the buildings

I'll try Lancashire now

I may be some time

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

thanks for the replies

my 1st thoughts were the Thames but I've scoured google earth

to no avail

I would think its a river rather than sea due to what may be a bridge

on the far left of image(unless its a crane )

if its a bridge then it seems to be a tight bend just after the buildings

I'll try Lancashire now

I may be some time

Are you sure it's in Britain? Does the postcard say anything on the back at all?

HOLA4414

So what is the activity/chore that you should be doing which you are replacing with this?

I have no chores for the next 2 weeks

mother in law has arrived

God bless her cotton socks

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Guest Skinty

Now over in the corner sat three men fae Auchtertool

They were playing games for money, in a Snakes and Ladders school

The fourth man was a Southerner, who'd come up from MacMerry

He'd been a river Gambler, on the Ballachulish ferry

HOLA4418

I'll try Lancashire now

I may be some time

I've just been looking at a page about North-West piers. I hadn't realised how elaborate some of these were. Here's a photo of the pier at St. Annes:

St-Annes-02_b.jpg

The pier featured a Moorish pavillion and a mock-Tudor entrance gate!

I don't think it's a pier in your original photo, but it could well be a bunch of fake buildings on the waterfront somewhere. It looks as if people were quite keen on knocking up ersatz buildings to keep the holidaymakers entertained, so a home-made castle isn't out of the question.

HOLA4419

The mud on the river/sea bank looks very English, as does the castle.

If by the sea, the mud looks like it's from the West coast. Lancashire area etc.

If it's on a riverbank, could be anywhere, including the Thames.

Just my thoughts.

Agree that it looks English or British, very few parts of the world get our sort of tides. That's estuary mud so a big tidal river.

My punt is east coast but I've had a poke about and couldn't find it.

HOLA4420

If you blow the picture up there appears to be at the side of the white building a two bar cross called either of cross of Lorraine, the patriarchal cross or the archiepiscopal cross.

Could be Greek, Russian or more like with the castle Hungarian or east european. Only a guess.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Definitely looks like riverside rather than seaside to me. Also note the bandstand/pavillion on the left but I guess those are ten-a-penny.

I'm wondering if it's even a real castle. Planting your castle on flat ground next to a tidal river that might be prone to overflowing doesn't seem like a very smart move. You'd usually put it on top of a hill and get lots of extra defensive power for free. Mind you, the Tower of London's a major counterexample to that theory.

HOLA4425

I'm wondering if it's even a real castle. Planting your castle on flat ground next to a tidal river that might be prone to overflowing doesn't seem like a very smart move. You'd usually put it on top of a hill and get lots of extra defensive power for free. Mind you, the Tower of London's a major counterexample to that theory.

I was thinking the same thing, it is an old style castle from the lack of windows but seems in very good condition. it might just be painted plywood for the show.

Archived